The Student Room Group

University Foundation Year + A-Levels???

Hey,

So my A2 Results didn't pan out so well and I didn't get the grades I needed to get into UWE to study Computer Science. I was offered an alternate course of taking a foundation year in Computing in which I am then able to move on and study a degree in Computer Science at UWE.

I've happily accepted the foundation year but I want to also retake my A-Levels in Maths and possibly study a new A-Level to get better grades and open up my options for next year in-case I do not want to pursue studying at UWE and change to a different university.

So here are my main questions I would like some advice on.

Is studying a foundation year and retaking 2 A-Levels feasible? I am capable of self-studying for maths as I have already been through it in A-Levels. It would also be AS and A2 in one year.

How intense and time-consuming is a foundation year?

Would a foundation year count towards anything if I applied to a different university such as Bristol?
(Requirements are AAB for Computer Science which I am hoping to get 2 grades if I redo A-levels but missing out on the third unless they count a Distinction* in Graphic Design which I have received this year)

Thanks! :h:
I know someone who did Foundation Science at UWE (Not computer science, just plain science) and, I can tell you if you can do A Levels and pass, you can EASILY get a 2:1 in your Foundation year, probably a First and not do ANY revision at all.
Reply 2
Another Question I forgot to add. If I excel in my foundation year, would I be able to go straight into the second year of the computer science degree? It was mentioned to me by one of my teachers but unsure if true.
Original post by Supremezzy
Another Question I forgot to add. If I excel in my foundation year, would I be able to go straight into the second year of the computer science degree? It was mentioned to me by one of my teachers but unsure if true.

I don't know about that, I would ask the lecturers at the uni...
Although, the point of First Year is to give you the foundations of the course and then the Second Year is to build on those foundations...

Quick Reply

Latest