The Student Room Group
?? the enthalpy change of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is well documented...

It can be found in many ways
eg. deltaHf (water) - deltaHf(H2O2)
Reply 2
Oops soo didn't mean enthalpy change lol - I actually meant activation energy! Sorry! That should hopefully mean my question makes more sense!
ok, well you don't need enzymes to decompose H2O2 it decomposes on its own in light or much faaster with Manganese (IV) oxide, although of course these have different activation energies being different processes. I take it that you are referring to a specific decomposition using a specific enzyme?.
Enzymes still operate over a range of temperature just not when the temperature rises too much. Why not carry out the reaction at 20ºC, 25ºC, 30ºC and 35ºC to obtain results from which to calculate activation energy. Use a thermostatically controlled water bath.
Reply 4
Also when you write up - be careful - I dont think its possible to state moles of peroxide - only Concentration?
Reply 5
charco
ok, well you don't need enzymes to decompose H2O2 it decomposes on its own in light or much faaster with Manganese (IV) oxide, although of course these have different activation energies being different processes. I take it that you are referring to a specific decomposition using a specific enzyme?.
Enzymes still operate over a range of temperature just not when the temperature rises too much. Why not carry out the reaction at 20ºC, 25ºC, 30ºC and 35ºC to obtain results from which to calculate activation energy. Use a thermostatically controlled water bath.

Ok, well I have done my experiment using catalase (from yeast) as the catalyst. I have results for 12, 20, 25, 33 & 36 degrees so would it be plausible to work out the activation enthalpy from these values as long as I mention that at higher temperatures the enzymes would denature, hence decreasing the rate of reaction. Also is there any way to work out the optimal enthalpy?!

Wangers
Also when you write up - be careful - I dont think its possible to state moles of peroxide - only Concentration?

Yeah I am using vols (i.e. 20 volume of hydrogen peroxide etc) to describe the concentration.
perfectly acceptable to use this temperature range - you are only interested in the activation energy, which is a constant at all temperatures provided, as you say, nothing untoward happens to any of the components at higher temperature

Latest