The Student Room Group
The BPTC is by its nature very difficult to prepare for simply because the course content and the manner of teaching is completely different to anything that you will have likely experienced up to this point. Many students find the BPTC to be particularly challenging in the early going simply because they struggle to break out of the classic 'university' mentality of studying, which frankly doesn't help with the majority of subjects.

It is clearly possible for some students to be more naturally adept than others at many of the BPTC subjects, but in my experience (from both doing the course and being involved since with students who have undertaken it) as a general rule those who do best on the BPTC are those who approach the course with the best work ethic and who genuinely work the hardest at it. That may sound like an obvious thing to say, but it takes on a different meaning when you consider that 'working hard' on the BPTC is about more than simply putting in the hours; it's about working on honing skills and refining knowledge that may not come naturally, which is where the challenge lies.

As such my advice to you would be to not worry about giving yourself an advantage by doing studying in advance for the BPTC. In my view the best thing you can do to prepare for the BPTC is simply to make sure that you're ready for the challenge both mentally and physically, and ready to work hard. I honestly wouldn't really recommend self study on the basis that I can't really see it giving you much of an advantage, and it certainly won't give you an advantage that is notable compared to the work that you would have to put in to get any sort of advantage.

The only exception to that is that it would help to review the very basic principles of tort and contract. You should really know them anyway (I really am talking about the very basic principles), but such principles will likely feature in early drafting exercises at the very least, and as such you should know them. If you choose not to go along with my advice and have a desperate undying need to do some studying in advance of the course, I'd concentrate on civil and criminal litigation, simply because those subjects are the closest to traditional undergraduate modules that you're going to get. But really, I have to reiterate that you're going to learn those subjects from the ground up anyway, so whether you'd gain any lasting advantage from studying them in advance is somewhat debatable.
I would add that it would be good to know your tort and contract a bit better than basic principles. Also if you already have ideas about what options you want to take you could revise what you have covered to date and/or identify a good text book to read up. If you're keen to get ahead - and as the work load is so huge it could be helpful - another thing you could look at is the bsb code of conduct. You might also enjoy reading some good advocacy books - because you won't have time to read such background/extra stuff once you've started. However if you do read such books be very careful not to think you know all about advocacy - you must start the course with your mind fuĺly open to what your tutors teach you.
Original post by EasternGrit
I would add that it would be good to know your tort and contract a bit better than basic principles. Also if you already have ideas about what options you want to take you could revise what you have covered to date and/or identify a good text book to read up. If you're keen to get ahead - and as the work load is so huge it could be helpful - another thing you could look at is the bsb code of conduct. You might also enjoy reading some good advocacy books - because you won't have time to read such background/extra stuff once you've started. However if you do read such books be very careful not to think you know all about advocacy - you must start the course with your mind fuĺly open to what your tutors teach you.
Reading the Code of Conduct is a good call, actually, mainly because it would be easier to absorb and get a handle on than the litigation subjects.
That's what I thought - it's academically easy and teaching can be a bit thin.
Reply 5
If you studied evidence as a LLB subject, then it might be worth reviewing that too - probably after looking over tort/contract/the Code as outlined above!

If not, don't try to teach yourself - it's covered adequately on the BPTC.

Reading some books on advocacy might also be helpful - Richard du Cann's Art of the Advocate or Iain Morley's Devil's Advocate, for example.
Reply 6
Thank you very much for replying guys! All advice has been really helpful to me as I kinda know now which areas to research for just to gain a bit of knowledge for the BPTC.

Thanks again, really appreciated!
Reply 7
Hi guys,

Thanks for starting this thread. It has been very useful to know what areas I'd need to touch over! Will be studying the BPTC 2017/18.
Original post by 17sxo
Hi guys,

Thanks for starting this thread. It has been very useful to know what areas I'd need to touch over! Will be studying the BPTC 2017/18.

Hi I will be attending Bristol 2017-2018 where would you be going?
Caro
Reply 9
hi has any one got any bptc revision materials please
Original post by immmys
hi has any one got any bptc revision materials please

Hi I am starting the BPTC in Septemeber...what about you???
Original post by babypj2002
Hi I will be attending Bristol 2017-2018 where would you be going?
Caro

Fortunately NORTHUMBRIA
Reply 12
Hi Guys

I'm attending the Uni of Law in Birmingham.
Please don't do any learning/revision before starting the BPTC (apart from very basic tort and contract) - there is absolutely no need to! The year is tough and dull.

What you should be doing instead is making sure your CV looks the part for pupillage applications.
Reply 14
Hi all may I know if doing BPTC at UWE Law School is good please in terms course structure and teaching quality? Also, are the facilities good?
Reply 15
Original post by babypj2002
Hi I am starting the BPTC in Septemeber...what about you???

any bptc revision materials please
Reply 16
Original post by ibbykhan19
Hey guys,

I am planning to do the BPTC in 2016/2017 and I am wondering whether any of the ex BPTC students can help me out in deciding what to learn for the BPTC as I have got a year before I start the BPTC.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you :smile:

I am a BPTC graduate recently. Passed in one attempt. I have got notes for each Chapter for the BPTC modules. As long as you read the notes, reading additional material, practicing lots of questions. I feel it’s possible to finish the BPTC in one attempt. There are people who struggled but do not let them fear you. Just try your best ! Do not hesitate to contact me!

Latest

Trending

Trending