The Student Room Group

HMRC - EO Role - Direct Appointment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mega0448
Probably just means whatever extra pay you get if you're ever working weekends/evenings. I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually work those hours, which is doubtful. Everyone I know in FIS is normal office hours.

Thanks, more than a little relieved.I kid you not, the job spec attached to the email made it sound like I'd be on all night stake outs!

Another question I have is - Is the office we're given in FIS change often? As my email used the term 'in the first instance you'll be based in...'.
Original post by JHart1865
Thanks, more than a little relieved.I kid you not, the job spec attached to the email made it sound like I'd be on all night stake outs!

Another question I have is - Is the office we're given in FIS change often? As my email used the term 'in the first instance you'll be based in...'.

I have no idea if I'm honest, it'll probably be in the same location so I wouldn't worry.
I have no idea if I'm honest, it'll probably be in the same location so I wouldn't worry.

OK, thanks for that.

I have a job spec and an offer, so i'm at the stage where I have a million and one questions about the job and what it entails day to day. Thanks for your replies - any other advice?
OK, thanks for that.

I have a job spec and an offer, so i'm at the stage where I have a million and one questions about the job and what it entails day to day. Thanks for your replies - any other advice?

My experiences here have all been very good. HMRC is a good employer so I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

I can't give you specifics as I don't know what you'll be doing day to day. But from what I've heard everyone likes working in FIS and it's precursors.
My experiences here have all been very good. HMRC is a good employer so I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

I can't give you specifics as I don't know what you'll be doing day to day. But from what I've heard everyone likes working in FIS and it's precursors.

Again, nice to hear. Thanks.
Reply 45
The pay will be £23,367 or if you're in London it will be £27,016

Thanks for this information. Are you 100% sure?

Also, the bonus for the flexible hours, is that paid for being felixble, regardless of if your asked to work flexi hours or not?
Original post by I_am_Neo
Thanks for this information. Are you 100% sure?

Also, the bonus for the flexible hours, is that paid for being felixble, regardless of if your asked to work flexi hours or not?

Well those are the new pay grade minimums for the EO grade at HMRC.

No pay, you just get to work extra hours and generate extra leave allowance. Or have extra leave allowance and then work it back at a later date.
Well those are the new pay grade minimums for the EO grade at HMRC.

No pay, you just get to work extra hours and generate extra leave allowance. Or have extra leave allowance and then work it back at a later date.

Heard a lot of stuff about the Civil Service, some positive and some negative. What's your take on it? Should I be planning a career in it? How easy is it to progress (obviously taking in to account you working hard etc.)
Heard a lot of stuff about the Civil Service, some positive and some negative. What's your take on it? Should I be planning a career in it? How easy is it to progress (obviously taking in to account you working hard etc.)

I'm very happy here and the working conditions are great, especially in the caseworker departments. I have heard other departments such as the DWP aren't great but I haven't worked there so can't comment much.

If you enjoy it then it's a great place to have a career, and they are very accommodating. Such as my colleagues wife got a teaching job on the other side of the country and he was able to transfer to an office close to her. So there are benefits of working somewhere with a nationwide reach.

Promotion wise there are opportunities and internal training schemes which can help with promotions.

HMRC has an ageing workforce that's why they are taking on so many trainees now to try and plug the knowledge gap. So I reckon in the next 5-10 years with all the retirements there could be plenty of opportunity.
I'm very happy here and the working conditions are great, especially in the caseworker departments. I have heard other departments such as the DWP aren't great but I haven't worked there so can't comment much.

If you enjoy it then it's a great place to have a career, and they are very accommodating. Such as my colleagues wife got a teaching job on the other side of the country and he was able to transfer to an office close to her. So there are benefits of working somewhere with a nationwide reach.

Promotion wise there are opportunities and internal training schemes which can help with promotions.

HMRC has an ageing workforce that's why they are taking on so many trainees now to try and plug the knowledge gap. So I reckon in the next 5-10 years with all the retirements there could be plenty of opportunity.

Hey, I'm at college at the mo, and am looking at the civil service fast track apprenticeships. I wondered if anyone has had any experience of the program, and if anyone has ever been sponsored to do a degree after completing this program.
(sorry if I've put this in the wrong section of the forum, I'm new to this kind of thing!)
Original post by camatron97
Hey, I'm at college at the mo, and am looking at the civil service fast track apprenticeships. I wondered if anyone has had any experience of the program, and if anyone has ever been sponsored to do a degree after completing this program.
(sorry if I've put this in the wrong section of the forum, I'm new to this kind of thing!)

I don't think any department will sponsor you through a degree I'm afraid.

There are a variety of internships and apprenticeships available. Probably best of checking the websites for information as I have no experience.

Must admit, the negative things I've heard were from someone who'd worked 30 years in DWP!

It was always my ambition to work for HMRC, especially for the reasons you gave. I specifically remember at a Uni careers fair someone saying similar.

Suppose I'm like anyone else, just want a career I can grow in to and develop in with opportunities to progress. (Doesn't seem to be many around nowadays!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Must admit, the negative things I've heard were from someone who'd worked 30 years in DWP!

It was always my ambition to work for HMRC, especially for the reasons you gave. I specifically remember at a Uni careers fair someone saying similar.

Suppose I'm like anyone else, just want a career I can grow in to and develop in with opportunities to progress. (Doesn't seem to be many around nowadays!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got that right. Too many people are moving jobs after only a year or so.

All I want is to be technically trained and proficient in my job. So that if worst case scenario I have to leave here then I'm qualified and experienced enough to move somewhere similar in the private sector.
Reply 53
Is anyone else in the same HMRC Direct Appointment boat as me? After waiting forever to get my pre-appointment checks done, they have finally been completed. They were passed to HMRC a week ago and I have heard nothing since. Is this a common theme? Thanks!

Hi! I'm also starting in Fraud Investigation next month in Nottingham. You mentioned that they sent you the job spec; they haven't given me any indication of what the role is going to entail, despite several requests by email.

Could you share the job spec with me if that's ok with you?
Hi there,

I've also been offered a post within HMRC via the direct appointment scheme. I've accepted a position and have been in touch with my new line manager to arrange a meeting. I am just wondering if anyone has already done so? Can I expect this meeting to be an informal chat or should I prepare some interview answers just in case?

Thanks
Original post by Parmaviolet
Hi there,

I've also been offered a post within HMRC via the direct appointment scheme. I've accepted a position and have been in touch with my new line manager to arrange a meeting. I am just wondering if anyone has already done so? Can I expect this meeting to be an informal chat or should I prepare some interview answers just in case?

Thanks

You've already got the job so you won't be getting interviewed. It'll just be casual and mostly likely you'll be introduced to your new team and all very pleasant. Enjoy.
Is anyone on here working in Bootle, Liverpool at all? Hoping I have some other people starting with on the 23rd!
Reply 58
Original post by stephanie.k
Is anyone on here working in Bootle, Liverpool at all? Hoping I have some other people starting with on the 23rd!

Hi, I'll be starting with you, received my formal offer today. Took weeks as my papers were sent to the wrong department! Have you been given much information?
Original post by gl1114
Hi, I'll be starting with you, received my formal offer today. Took weeks as my papers were sent to the wrong department! Have you been given much information?

I'm so happy that you're starting too! That's such a pain, I was meant to start on the 2nd and it got pushed back, I'll be so glad when we finally start! No I've not, I presume you haven't either?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending