The Student Room Group

Adjustment: Head vs Heart

Hi, I've been accepted into Bath Spa University to study English Literature and Psychology however because my grades were higher than required I am now eligible for adjustment.
My other option is Keele University (for the same course), I think the content of the course at Keele is more flexible, in depth and relevant to what I wish to do after graduation, the university is also closer to home and I already feel a little (a lot) home sick, it would be cheaper and it is a lovely campus. However, I love Bath (both the city and BSU), the city is my kind of place because of the architecture and atmosphere and the campus is in a beautiful location - I know I would be happy there, it feels like it could be my home. Although it is far away from home and because of the course content I may become unhappy and drop out, however, this may just be me being too anxious and seeing the worst case scenario.
I would really appreciate any imput or advice, please?
I love Bath/ BSU but Keele may be better for my education.
Please help?
Reply 1
If you can visit Keele ASAP and get a feel for the place and speak to the course tutors in more depth :smile:
I've been in this position and I know how agonising it can be.
I took a lot into account, however I wish I didn't let other people influence me so much - especially my mum. Be sure that this decision is yours. Prioritize what is most important to you (e.g. the financial aspects, the surrounding area, how the atmosphere at the university feels) and then go through your list and see how each compare. At the time I was deciding I was forced to seriously consider the financial aspect as my mum is a single parent and wouldn't be able to help support me so she pushed for me to look at the cost, when the course of the other university really suited me and made me more excited than the other (they spent a full topic studying my favourite novel Frankenstein and looking at modern interpretations and the second year was an independent study where I spoke to one student at length about their focus on Tolkien). If it's an option, definitely go and look at the uni in person as there's things that just don't translate on paper such as the atmosphere and how well you can see yourself getting along with other students and your potential tutors.
Overall I went with the more practical option only to discover after applying for a vital scholarship that they changed how it was assessed (no longer means tested but rather on how many people in your area go onto higher education) so I was no longer eligible...I don't hate my decision, both were good places and unfortunately the situation just changed and there's other benefits to the uni I chose.
Definitely look at the long term too, see what placements they offer and what links to companies they have - be proactive and email department heads to ask questions (something I was discouraged from by other students by saying I would come off negatively only later to be told by a teacher that unis tend to like people who are engaged and proactive about their educations).
Overall, if you like both places for different reasons and you can see yourself at both universities I don't think there'll necessarily be a 'bad choice', but I wish you luck and hope you're happy with whatever happens.
(edited 8 years ago)
I also agree with trying to see the uni as soon as you can. I've had to make a similar choice, and I ended up picking the prestige of going to a higher ranked uni over doing the better course and regretted it and then left after a year. So make sure that you are as happy as possible with the course and the place itself, both are, in my opinion, just as important as each other. I am now at Keele uni and I'm so much happier here, if you do have any questions about the uni feel free to ask me and I'll try and help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by InkedPage
I've been in this position and I know how agonising it can be.
I took a lot into account, however I wish I didn't let other people influence me so much - especially my mum. Be sure that this decision is yours. Prioritize what is most important to you (e.g. the financial aspects, the surrounding area, how the atmosphere at the university feels) and then go through your list and see how each compare. At the time I was deciding I was forced to seriously consider the financial aspect as my mum is a single parent and wouldn't be able to help support me so she pushed for me to look at the cost, when the course of the other university really suited me and made me more excited than the other (they spent a full topic studying my favourite novel Frankenstein and looking at modern interpretations and the second year was an independent study where I spoke to one student at length about their focus on Tolkien). If it's an option, definitely go and look at the uni in person as there's things that just don't translate on paper such as the atmosphere and how well you can see yourself getting along with other students and your potential tutors.
Overall I went with the more practical option only to discover after applying for a vital scholarship that they changed how it was assessed (no longer means tested but rather on how many people in your area go onto higher education) so I was no longer eligible...I don't hate my decision, both were good places and unfortunately the situation just changed and there's other benefits to the uni I chose.
Definitely look at the long term too, see what placements they offer and what links to companies they have - be proactive and email department heads to ask questions (something I was discouraged from by other students by saying I would come off negatively only later to be told by a teacher that unis tend to like people who are engaged and proactive about their educations).
Overall, if you like both places for different reasons and you can see yourself at both universities I don't think there'll necessarily be a 'bad choice', but I wish you luck and hope you're happy with whatever happens.

Thank you, this honesty really helped me. Thank you! :-)
Reply 5
Original post by Maths-geek
I also agree with trying to see the uni as soon as you can. I've had to make a similar choice, and I ended up picking the prestige of going to a higher ranked uni over doing the better course and regretted it and then left after a year. So make sure that you are as happy as possible with the course and the place itself, both are, in my opinion, just as important as each other. I am now at Keele uni and I'm so much happier here, if you do have any questions about the uni feel free to ask me and I'll try and help :smile:

Thank you, I'm hoping to go to Keele now - if my firm rejects me or I'll take a gap year and re-apply.
One thing that put me off with Keele is that it's in the middle of no-where (which is like I am now), does it bother you that there isn't a major city or town close by? :-)
Original post by freyarose04
Thank you, I'm hoping to go to Keele now - if my firm rejects me or I'll take a gap year and re-apply.
One thing that put me off with Keele is that it's in the middle of no-where (which is like I am now), does it bother you that there isn't a major city or town close by? :-)

I enjoy it actually, a lot of time you find that you enjoy being inside the "Keele bubble", plus Newcastle-Under-Lyme (nearest town) is a really nice place imo, pretty much has everything you'll need. In all honesty though, I'm sure you'll enjoy being here. Welcome to Keele! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest