The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, this doesn't fall under the heading of laws, political systems, politicians, or international relations (hence the m move to D&D General) and secondly, this is Debate and Discussion, not Rant and Rave. For a thread to belong in D&D, it needs to attempt to provoke genuine discussion as opposed to simply being a response to things that interest/upset you.

In the interests of getting some proper debate going, I will say this: Why do you think anti-Semitism has increased, and do you agree with the claim that the UK is the most anti-Semitic country in Europe? I know I don't.
Reply 2
Much of Europe is still more anti-semitic than the UK.
Why has anti-semitism increased? Because more people are becoming frustrated with our countries foriegn policy in regards to Israel. People are finally understanding that we supporting this terrorist nation, and it is not doing our nation any good in doing so.
Has the OP been outside of england? France, Germany, Austria, Poland, Former Yugoslavia and Russia are far more anti-semitic than england. Even starting a thread stating that england is the most anti-semitic european country is rather silly- how so? Is that in terms of number of people who are anti-semitic? How much coverage it gets in the press (which is the only information you can have)? How many Jews say that the country is anti-semitic?
FreedomtoFascism
Why has anti-semitism increased? Because more people are becoming frustrated with our countries foriegn policy in regards to Israel. People are finally understanding that we supporting this terrorist nation, and it is not doing our nation any good in doing so.
That makes no sense. People are getting frustrated with the Special Relationship too, but that doesn't mean Americans get attacked in the streets. Ditto Europeans by Eurosceptics.
Reply 6
TheThirdMan
Has the OP been outside of england? France, Germany, Austria, Poland, Former Yugoslavia and Russia are far more anti-semitic than england. Even starting a thread stating that england is the most anti-semitic european country is rather silly- how so? Is that in terms of number of people who are anti-semitic? How much coverage it gets in the press (which is the only information you can have)? How many Jews say that the country is anti-semitic?

Quite to the contrary. I don't think he's ever been in England. I don't think it's an anti-Semitic country. True, anti-Semitic attacks are rising but they are everywhere. England is no worse than anywhere else; definitely not.
Socrates
Much of Europe is still more anti-semitic than the UK.
Indeed. Quite apart from the upsurge (post-1989) in East German neo-Nazism, countries such as Slovakia are home to anti-Semitism that is far more widespread than that found in Britain. In both those cases (although not necessarily universally) it is primarily due to the economic problems caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union. Unemployment breeds hatred and xenophobia, of which anti-Semitism is inevitably a subset. In the case of Slovakia, when you take that together with the substantial Jewish heritage of, and population in, the Czech Republic (and they only separated in 1992) and that particular type of xenophobia can easily increase to a larger-than-average proportion of the whole.
gemgems89
Quite to the contrary. I don't think he's ever been in England. I don't think it's an anti-Semitic country. True, anti-Semitic attacks are rising but they are everywhere. England is no worse than anywhere else; definitely not.
*Britain
Attacks doubling (assuming that statistic is accurate), ignores the fact that the actual number of attacks was low enough that even a small increase in numbers could represent a large percentage increase.

I would be very surprised if being Jewish in Britain made you any more likely to be the victim of crime than the next person. Which is obviously a very good thing.
TheThirdMan

The video says that UK is the most anti-semite country in Europe.

British Parliament reports sharp rise in anti-Semitism

London law firm Mishcon de Reya in partnership with the Parliamentary Committee Against Anti-Semitism hosted a panel forum on Wednesday to discuss the All-Party Parliamentary Inquiry into Anti-Semitism, a report released in September which showed a sharp rise in anti-Semitism in the UK. Full article inside

Aliyah 2006: 25 percent increase in British immigrants

Lower immigration figures for 2006 attributed to war in Lebanon, massive jump in aliyah from Britain, North America. Absorption champ of the year goes to Jerusalem, with 2,186 of the 19,200 new immigrants choosing to make their home in capital city Full article inside

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=347877
Reply 11
The face of Jacob
The video says that UK is the most anti-semite country in Europe.

Glad we've got such reliable proof.
That's simply not true.

Somehow, I suspected this thread wasn't you asking for reassurances that Britain is, remains, and in modern times always has been, a safe and welcoming place for Jews, as well as for people of any race or religion. Considering most people couldn't pick a Jew out of a crowd though, that especially applies in this case.

However, that isn't the point, of course, is it? The point is to imply that the only safe place in the world for a Jew to live is in Israel. Which is spectacularly and stupidly wrong, and has nothing to do with personal safety and everything to do with your personal politics. The existence of British Jews, living in peace and friendship with the rest of the nation, fundamentally undermines the idea that Israel is distinct from any other sovereign nation or that its actions should be judged to a different ethical standard.

In trying to drive a wedge between British Jews and the rest of the community, you place yourself in the same group as those you condemn.
The video doesn't even work :frown:
gemgems89
Quite to the contrary. I don't think he's ever been in England.

Wrong!

I've been in England several times. I didn't suffer from anti-semitism there cause nobody knew that I am Jewish and I came as a turist for a short time.

One of my family members is a British Jew who was born in England and he made Aliya in the 80's because of anti-semitism and because he was a stranger there.

You don't have to live in England to understand that there is anti-semitism there. Today we have media and we see everything.

Watch another video about anti-semitism in Golders Green (in the middle of the page)
Invocation
The video doesn't even work :frown:

Do refresh.
Agent Smith
*Britain

:wink: I did that one on purpose.

TFOJ
Wrong!

I've been in England several times. I didn't suffer from anti-semitism there cause nobody knew that I am Jewish and I came as a turist for a short time.

One of my family members is a British Jew who was born in England and he made Aliya in the 80's because of anti-semitism and because he was a stranger there.

You don't have to live in England to understand that there is anti-semitism there. Today we have media and we see everything.

Watch another video about anti-semitism in Golders Green (in the middle of the page)

FFS, I don't give a toss about the videos. I've heard all about it anyway. Yes, I know that there are a lot of anti-Semitic attacks in London especially but to say the UK is the most anti-Semitic country in Europe is a gross miscalculation. I'd say things in France are a lot worse for starters, where the security on synagogues are extremely high and often visitors can't even look round. It's not like that here.
I don't see what leftists or Muslims have to do with this. Or is this just you trying to take a dig at the two groups of people you hate most ? With the less than original accusation of being an anti-semite?
Well if people broadcast views like this "There's no such thing as "Palestine"", what do you expect but to be attacked by a group of people who are palestinian allies? I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying that some Israelis/Jews really need to keep their views on Palestine and other issues to themselves, since, here's a surprise, most people don't agree with them. Then some of the more retarded and thuggish muslims decide to beat the people with those views up, and then we have cries that Britain (not just a few misguided zealots) is an antisemitic country. Really :rolleyes:
A jewish girl was attacked on a bus!?!
O no!

Considering the fact we've had 3 kids gunned down in the peckham area lone in the last week, you'll forgive me for not getting excited that one sodding jewish girl has been attacked.

This is probably nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with the fact this country is going to ****.

Latest

Trending

Trending