The Student Room Group

A level Government and Politics

Hi I don't know whether to take Government and Politics for A level so i just wanted know I few things before I make my decision.

I'm not that oblivious about the political world like I know the basics so if I were to take this course and not know anything about the political world would that still be okay? Or do you need to know information already about the political world?

In terms of how hard it is what would you say?

is there a lot of coursework involved?

Thankss :smile:
Original post by Keeran AKhtar
Hi I don't know whether to take Government and Politics for A level so i just wanted know I few things before I make my decision.

I'm not that oblivious about the political world like I know the basics so if I were to take this course and not know anything about the political world would that still be okay? Or do you need to know information already about the political world?

In terms of how hard it is what would you say?

is there a lot of coursework involved?

Thankss :smile:

Hi - firstly, yes - it will be okay to take it with no prior knowledge as the course will/should be taught at base level (assuming that you do not much, if anything, about the political 'world'). Additionally, you will most likely learn about the UK and US Political system and the history it involves, from the civil rights movement (US) to the very basic structure of how the Government is formed (UK). It should cover all of the basics - it's quite an interesting subject.
Original post by bigsmoke
Hi - firstly, yes - it will be okay to take it with no prior knowledge as the course will/should be taught at base level (assuming that you do not much, if anything, about the political 'world':wink:. Additionally, you will most likely learn about the UK and US Political system and the history it involves, from the civil rights movement (US) to the very basic structure of how the Government is formed (UK). It should cover all of the basics - it's quite an interesting subject.

thanks you
Original post by Keeran AKhtar
thanks you

hey i just finished my a level politics course and im going to study politics and international relations at uni and i can assure you its fine if you don't have much political knowledge one the reason i picked politics is because i didn't know much about the political world so its fine as long as u do extra reading i.e news articles, practice exam question cuz they tend to always repeat question but i think it might depend on our exam board i did edexcel and they tend to repeat and pretty much use the resource given like examiner report and like past student answers the are helpful.
but by the looks of what you said i think you will be fine since your interested in the political world, your more likely to become more motivated to do better :smile: i hope that helped:u:
Reply 4
It's not too difficult if you take an active interest and immerse yourself in the subject matter. It's a really fun course. Or so I thought anyway. I'm starting my Politics and International Relations degree this month.

No coursework to worry about.
Original post by jape
It's not too difficult if you take an active interest and immerse yourself in the subject matter. It's a really fun course. Or so I thought anyway. I'm starting my Politics and International Relations degree this month.

No coursework to worry about.

LOL yeah its weird but i find it fun as well but it took me some time to master the techniques needed and where are you studying ?:smile:
Reply 6
The University of Greenwich. I never got the hang of essays, I was awful from day one right through to the end of my second year. In the event I threw everything I was taught out the window (why not, I was awful at it) and wrote the essay in what I hoped was a completely unique style, crossing my fingers that it would be distinctive enough to work. I'd convinced myself I'd failed on results day, and I got a B. Very pleased.
Original post by jape
The University of Greenwich. I never got the hang of essays, I was awful from day one right through to the end of my second year. In the event I threw everything I was taught out the window (why not, I was awful at it) and wrote the essay in what I hoped was a completely unique style, crossing my fingers that it would be distinctive enough to work. I'd convinced myself I'd failed on results day, and I got a B. Very pleased.

Ahh I know how u feel majority of the year I actually thought I was gonna fail politics cuz no matter what I did I always got the same mark but one thing that helped me the most was using examiner reports cuz in A2 I realised that the reason I wasn't doing well was cuz I'd walffle about everything i knew about a certain ideologue but never explaining my argument or even mentioning key thinkers. And id advice people not to be too reliant and mark schemes and build their own argument . I got an A the unit 3 paper but came out with a B overall 😊 I think the difficult thing about politics is how to answer the questions
:u: I'm going to Kent
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending