The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Why would you apply for MEng Computer Science?

I'm a little confused.. BSc Computer Science has entry requirements of AAA whereas MEng has A*AA. However, you're able to transfer to MEng or vice versa after the second year. Why on earth would you apply for the MEng if you can get in with the lower entry requirements and then transfer courses if you achieve a 2:1 in the second year? Am I missing something?
Reply 1
Getting in for the MEng makes sorting out student finance for the fourth year easier than getting in for the BSc and then opting to take a fourth year. Plus most unis should let you into the BSc if you get the grades for that but not the MEng anyway (or at least every uni I applied to that had higher MEng than BSc entry requirements assured me that this would be the case).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Mattematics
I'm a little confused.. BSc Computer Science has entry requirements of AAA whereas MEng has A*AA. However, you're able to transfer to MEng or vice versa after the second year. Why on earth would you apply for the MEng if you can get in with the lower entry requirements and then transfer courses if you achieve a 2:1 in the second year? Am I missing something?

It's basically just student finance. If you start on the three year course and then switch to the four, student finance will probably get a bit funny about giving you money for the fourth year. But if you start on the four year course, there won't be any problems there. Conversely, if you start on the four year course and then drop down to the three, then there won't be any problems there.
Reply 3
Original post by Mattematics

I wondered the same thing, from answers I have gotten I think that to continue with MEng from a BSc you have to be doing well in uni as well, so not just any BSc student can go on to do MEng. MEng generally has harder requirements

Quick Reply

Latest