The Student Room Group

Sociology and Criminology personal statement

This was my final draft of my personal statement to study Sociology and Criminology. I'm going to study it at University of Nottingham. I received an offer of ABB and achieved AAB at A Level.

My initial interest in Sociology and Criminology emerged from a debate within a Religious
Studies lesson, discussing whether or not capital punishment should be legal. My argument was
that everyone has the right to be represented in court and ever since I've been intrigued by
the justice system. Studying Sociology and Criminology as a combined degree is a great
opportunity as the issues among the subjects affect one another. Growing up in a society with
political debate that is ever changing has made Sociology and Criminology two significant
subjects that I find captivating and therefore wish to pursue further at University.

During the summer I attended a Sociology conference at Bath Spa University. Discussing public
attitudes to crime in a lecture on 'Myths and realities of crime' spurred my interest in
Criminology. I investigated common crime assumptions at the conference, including one that
'crime is increasing'; I was surprised to discover that statistically crime is actually
declining. This led me to further research crime statistics in my own time, quantitative
research methods being an aspect of Criminology that I find particularly fascinating. I am
excited to learn more about crime statistics as part of a Crime and Deviance module in my
Sociology A level and hopefully as part of a Sociology and Criminology degree at University.

Alongside Sociology I am currently studying English Language and Religious Studies.
Investigating diachronic and synchronic language change within English Language has made me
aware of how influential the developments of linguistics are to modern society. In Religious
Studies I have compared different philosophers' ideas, such as Karl Marx's theory of Marxism,
which has also been prevalent in my Sociology A level. Investigating changes in English
Language and comparing philosophers' in Religious Studies has improved my ability to evaluate
and analyse. These are transferable skills that will prove useful when studying Sociology and
Criminology at University.

Reading outside of lesson time on social inequalities in society has provided me with
knowledge that I hope to take to debate in seminars for a Sociology and Criminology degree.
Owen Jones's book 'Chavs the demonization of the working class' revealed to me some
thought-provoking perspectives of society. I was particularly intrigued by Jones's critique of
Margret Thatcher's way of presenting our life chances as 'determined by our life choices, not
economic background'. Jones's critique has inspired me to examine different theories and
perspectives of social injustice. Outside of school I have graded as a purple belt in Jiu
Jitsu and have also played for Bath City girls' football team. Partaking in these sports
developed my social and cooperative skills, which have contributed to my ability to work well
with others in a team. I have also been part of Mark Jermin Stage School; performing in front
of others means I have established the importance of communication and presentation. These are
skills that I feel are vital for the future when I will potentially need to present
sociological and criminological research.

The diverse nature of Sociology and Criminology topics has led me to not only want to
comprehend complexities in society, but to one day be working to tackle social injustices. I
feel that embarking on a Sociology and Criminology degree will enable my development of
theoretical knowledge, investigative and social skills in order to achieve this target. I am
an enthusiastic and open-minded person and able to sensitively analyse issues which I consider
essential attributes when studying Sociology and Criminology at University. Above all, I am
eager to pursue my future in these two fields.
Wouldn't recommend uploading your ps on tsr tbh. Someone might copy it and it will get them in trouble for plagiarising x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by FindingHappiness
Wouldn't recommend uploading your ps on tsr tbh. Someone might copy it and it will get them in trouble for plagiarising x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to anyone stupid enough to do that loooooool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicenorton4
This was my final draft of my personal statement to study Sociology and Criminology. I'm going to study it at University of Nottingham. I received an offer of ABB and achieved AAB at A Level.

My initial interest in Sociology and Criminology emerged from a debate within a Religious
Studies lesson, discussing whether or not capital punishment should be legal. My argument was
that everyone has the right to be represented in court and ever since I've been intrigued by
the justice system. Studying Sociology and Criminology as a combined degree is a great
opportunity as the issues among the subjects affect one another. Growing up in a society with
political debate that is ever changing has made Sociology and Criminology two significant
subjects that I find captivating and therefore wish to pursue further at University.

During the summer I attended a Sociology conference at Bath Spa University. Discussing public
attitudes to crime in a lecture on 'Myths and realities of crime' spurred my interest in
Criminology. I investigated common crime assumptions at the conference, including one that
'crime is increasing'; I was surprised to discover that statistically crime is actually
declining. This led me to further research crime statistics in my own time, quantitative
research methods being an aspect of Criminology that I find particularly fascinating. I am
excited to learn more about crime statistics as part of a Crime and Deviance module in my
Sociology A level and hopefully as part of a Sociology and Criminology degree at University.

Alongside Sociology I am currently studying English Language and Religious Studies.
Investigating diachronic and synchronic language change within English Language has made me
aware of how influential the developments of linguistics are to modern society. In Religious
Studies I have compared different philosophers' ideas, such as Karl Marx's theory of Marxism,
which has also been prevalent in my Sociology A level. Investigating changes in English
Language and comparing philosophers' in Religious Studies has improved my ability to evaluate
and analyse. These are transferable skills that will prove useful when studying Sociology and
Criminology at University.

Reading outside of lesson time on social inequalities in society has provided me with
knowledge that I hope to take to debate in seminars for a Sociology and Criminology degree.
Owen Jones's book 'Chavs the demonization of the working class' revealed to me some
thought-provoking perspectives of society. I was particularly intrigued by Jones's critique of
Margret Thatcher's way of presenting our life chances as 'determined by our life choices, not
economic background'. Jones's critique has inspired me to examine different theories and
perspectives of social injustice. Outside of school I have graded as a purple belt in Jiu
Jitsu and have also played for Bath City girls' football team. Partaking in these sports
developed my social and cooperative skills, which have contributed to my ability to work well
with others in a team. I have also been part of Mark Jermin Stage School; performing in front
of others means I have established the importance of communication and presentation. These are
skills that I feel are vital for the future when I will potentially need to present
sociological and criminological research.

The diverse nature of Sociology and Criminology topics has led me to not only want to
comprehend complexities in society, but to one day be working to tackle social injustices. I
feel that embarking on a Sociology and Criminology degree will enable my development of
theoretical knowledge, investigative and social skills in order to achieve this target. I am
an enthusiastic and open-minded person and able to sensitively analyse issues which I consider
essential attributes when studying Sociology and Criminology at University. Above all, I am
eager to pursue my future in these two fields.

May I ask about the leniency and what job u got into

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending