The Student Room Group

LSE Economics to Surrey

Hi guys! So basically, I had an offer from LSE to study Economics but I unfortunately missed it and achieved A* (Economics) A (Maths) and B (Biology). I was predicted 3A*s but in reality I knew my highest bet was 2A*s and an A (Biology). I achieved 4As at AS (chemistry dropped at AS) and 11A*s and 4As at GCSE.I am disappointed with my results and although I have submitted some remarks, I am not that hopeful. I just feel that I have worked so hard and achieved good grades throughout school that it is just very hard to come to terms with this. Anyway, my main question is whether you think it is the right decision for me to decide to go to University of Surrey to study Economics or consider taking a year out. Surrey is a beautiful university which has great student life, student support, sports team etc. and I am actually very excited at the idea of going but it is not economics at LSE. also, if I was to reapply and retake I feel I would be at a massive disadvantage, especially for UCL/LSE. I would probably stand a better chance at Oxbridge if I was to reapply in terms of the universities views on retakes/reapplications and to me, I just don't see that to be worth it. When applying to university this year, I received offers from LSE UCL Nottingham and was rejected post interview for E&M at Oxford. Surrey is 4th on Guardian overall and for economics and 11th on times top 20. I feel that it is a good university and that a masters at UCL/LSE/Oxbridge is always an option should I Struggle to find a job. I'm still unsure as to what exactly I want to do - I do want to work in finance and potentially IB. Thanks for all the help!

Scroll to see replies

Damn your grades are amazing, when I'm older I probably won't even bother applying oxbridge if you get rejected with those?
Why not try geography and economics at LSE? Put your biology knowledge to use.

I must have personally written this a lot of times and I know I have read it many times before but economics at LSE is one of the most competitive courses in the world.

What about M.Sci. Financial Mathematics at QMUL then go over to KCL for a Ph.D. or to UCL for finmath or their financial computing research if you do the right modules at QMUL.

There could be something there with genetic algorithms applied to finance?

Imperial College which is picking up on the quantitative finance with hedge fund Brevan Howard.

Gap year. Travel the world with STA travel from January 2016 to July.

Make sure you 100% get in a placement year so that's 5 years of a M.Sci., then take a year out in the city then 3 year Ph.D.

Really you need to be in London, even for studying. Lot's of opportunities with mayfair hedge funds, goldman sachs and the bank of england.

Cross the pond as a researcher and then go work on Wall Street, then go buy an island.

Sad as it may be, saying you got an offer for economics at LSE is worth a lot in itself!
(edited 8 years ago)
This Financial Times article

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0664cd92-6277-11e1-872e-00144feabdc0.html

and I quote ' employers are willing to subsidise up to five years of research at the tantalising intersection of computers, data and money.'
Reply 4
Original post by CAulet567
Hi guys! So basically, I had an offer from LSE to study Economics but I unfortunately missed it and achieved A* (Economics) A (Maths) and B (Biology). I was predicted 3A*s but in reality I knew my highest bet was 2A*s and an A (Biology). I achieved 4As at AS (chemistry dropped at AS) and 11A*s and 4As at GCSE.I am disappointed with my results and although I have submitted some remarks, I am not that hopeful. I just feel that I have worked so hard and achieved good grades throughout school that it is just very hard to come to terms with this. Anyway, my main question is whether you think it is the right decision for me to decide to go to University of Surrey to study Economics or consider taking a year out. Surrey is a beautiful university which has great student life, student support, sports team etc. and I am actually very excited at the idea of going but it is not economics at LSE. also, if I was to reapply and retake I feel I would be at a massive disadvantage, especially for UCL/LSE. I would probably stand a better chance at Oxbridge if I was to reapply in terms of the universities views on retakes/reapplications and to me, I just don't see that to be worth it. When applying to university this year, I received offers from LSE UCL Nottingham and was rejected post interview for E&M at Oxford. Surrey is 4th on Guardian overall and for economics and 11th on times top 20. I feel that it is a good university and that a masters at UCL/LSE/Oxbridge is always an option should I Struggle to find a job. I'm still unsure as to what exactly I want to do - I do want to work in finance and potentially IB. Thanks for all the help!

Apparently LSE is very strict with their requrements. You WILL have to retake. I honestly advice you to check what's in clearing first.
Bristol is a target for IB, and they have vacancies for economics and finance, it might be worth checking it out. http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/257531/economics-and-finance?Feather=15&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=ECONOMICS&MaxResults=1000&page=1&ret=providers

Don't get me wrong, Surrey is great too! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
The thing is, I know I could reapply to LSE with my grades because they have plenty of courses with lower offers but I don't want to go to LSE just for the sake of LSE if you know what I'm saying. I would rather go and study straight economics somewhere and get a solid degree in something I know I'm strong in and enjoy.

I would be more than willing to do a masters and Imperial's business school does look very
Appealing - I will definitely look into that! Thanks
Reply 6
The thing is, I know I could reapply to LSE with my grades because they have plenty of courses with lower offers but I don't want to go to LSE just for the sake of LSE if you know what I'm saying. I would rather go and study straight economics somewhere and get a solid degree in something I know I'm strong in and enjoy.

I would be more than willing to do a masters and Imperial's business school does look very
Appealing - I will definitely look into that! Thanks

Missed my LSE econ offer too:frown:
Have you decided what your going to do yet?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Summit
Apparently LSE is very strict with their requrements. You WILL have to retake. I honestly advice you to check what's in clearing first.
Bristol is a target for IB, and they have vacancies for economics and finance, it might be worth checking it out. http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/257531/economics-and-finance?Feather=15&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=ECONOMICS&MaxResults=1000&page=1&ret=providers

Don't get me wrong, Surrey is great too! :smile:

Yeah I did see Bristol had economics and finance! My only thing is I don't like the sound of joint honours - I know that sounds weird but inPERSONALLY feel that they sound a bit waffy. Plus, I'm not DEAD set on IB. I would happy go work for a boutique bank or a hedge fund or even look into working in finance at a company.
Reply 8
Original post by Mitzy09
Missed my LSE econ offer too:frown:
Have you decided what your going to do yet?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that! I definitely don't think I will reapply - I just can't see it being worth it! Masters at UCL/LSE is a serious option also. What about yourself?
Reply 9
I'm sorry to hear that! I definitely don't think I will reapply - I just can't see it being worth it! Masters at UCL/LSE is a serious option also. What about yourself?

Yh I know what you mean, I have a place at Warwick but I'm still not sure what to do.. I dont think my remarks are going to go up significantly either hah:dontknow: good luck with whatever you decide to do!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Mitzy09
Yh I know what you mean, I have a place at Warwick but I'm still not sure what to do.. I dont think my remarks are going to go up significantly either hah:dontknow: good luck with whatever you decide to do!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics at Warwick?? That is still a very strong university, I wouldn't bother taking a year out if you don't get remarks up I really would go to Warwick!
Reply 11
Yeah I did see Bristol had economics and finance! My only thing is I don't like the sound of joint honours - I know that sounds weird but inPERSONALLY feel that they sound a bit waffy. Plus, I'm not DEAD set on IB. I would happy go work for a boutique bank or a hedge fund or even look into working in finance at a company.

Ok, what about these two degrees at CASS?
Investment and Financial Risk Management: http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/245338/investment-and-financial-risk-management-3-years-or-4-year-sw?Feather=15&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=Finance&MaxResults=1000&page=2&ret=providers
Banking and International Finance: http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/244870/banking-and-international-finance-3-years-or-4-year-sw?Feather=15&Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&Query=Finance&MaxResults=1000&page=2&ret=providers

They are finance courses, not economics, but I believe that both could work for your career objectives. CASS is also target for IB, in case you decide to get into that later in life.
Reply 12
Original post by Mitzy09

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick econ is amazing, take it!

Offtopic but:
What was your offer?
Looking at LSE so would help me out.
Reply 14
Original post by whydoidothis?
Offtopic but:
What was your offer?
Looking at LSE so would help me out.

a* maths
a economics + biology

How did you underperform so badly - were there any extenuating circumstances?

If I were you, I'd take a gap year and re-evaluate. You can achieve your predicted grades if you know what went wrong.

@Surrey being ranked 4th - this is absolute bull ****, it's not even top 10. The Guardian for some reason seems to weight student satisfaction the highest. you'll find it near-on impossible to break into IB from surrey without any connections

Just read this and I would go for this. Bristol in clearing is unusual I think. E&F is fine and a lot of what you learn in finance is directly applicable to working in any area of finance - not sure why you think studying it would be a bad thing. Economics is 99% non applicable to the workplace
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Out of the schools in clearing, I agree with @Mike_123, Bristol and CASS should be the two schools to consider, if there is even the remote chance you will want to do investment banking. I know that the course at Bristol might not be ideal, but maybe, once there, you might be allowed to switch to BSc Economics.

EDIT: The first year modules for BSc Economics and Finance and BSc Economics are the same. The only difference is that, while you have the option of chosing optional modules in BSc Economics, BSc Economics and Finance includes 2 modules in A&F. I am pretty sure they would allow you to switch to BSc Economics once there.
(edited 8 years ago)
2028 - Hedge Fund in Mayfair
2025 - 2028 Quantitative Analyst, Citi, Canary Wharf
2022 - 2025 UCL, King's, Imperial - Ph.D. Financial Mathematics
2022 - 2022 6 months Round the world trip
2021 - 2022 18 months at a bank in London on risk management and modelling
2020 - 2020 Summer analyst, hedge fund, Zurich Switzerland
2018 - 2019 Placement year, bank, City of London
2017 - 2017 Summer Analyst, bank, City of London (Bank of England?)
2016 - 2021 Queen Mary, University of London - M.Sci. Financial Mathematics
2016 - 2016 Round the world trip with STA Travel
2015 - 2015 Work at McDonalds
2013 - 2015 Biology (B), Economics (A*), Mathematics (A)

Just to add.. Queen Mary is a 5 minute bus journey from the Bank of England. It is taken as seriously as if you studied at LSE. You could go to lectures in the morning and intern at a fund in the afternoon, making QMUL highly desirable.

Citi would be good to transfer to New York (Wall Street) then back to Mayfair.

A huge company like Citi might even help fund Ph.D. research if you asked.

You could go to Citi after the 5 year M.Sci. then transfer from London to New York and do a Ph.D. at CUNY City University of New York whilst working on Wall Street..

All possibilities! Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
I like the guys in the City of London and Wall Street who were originally mathematicians / physicists but eventually applied themselves to finance (like Jim Simons and Renaissance Technologies who only employ mathematicians and scientists and not quants) and who have this air of ivory tower / pure mathematician about them like Professor Robert C. Merton of Harvard / MIT who is a boss on Wall Street and considered one of the Masters of Finance.

'Yeh, I may make a lot of money *ecstatic devious grin*, but I enjoy just doing maths..'

[video="youtube;cmzON43dWA4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmzON43dWA4[/video]

Also because of this thread, I'm doing some research on hedge funds in Switzerland and it is estimated that Jabre Capital Partners S.A. in Geneva has 4,313 AuM in USD billion, making it one the largest funds in Switzerland.

Interesting stuff.

PIMCO is another company you should be interested in also.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Mike_123
How did you underperform so badly - were there any extenuating circumstances?

If I were you, I'd take a gap year and re-evaluate. You can achieve your predicted grades if you know what went wrong.

@Surrey being ranked 4th - this is absolute bull ****, it's not even top 10. The Guardian for some reason seems to weight student satisfaction the highest. you'll find it near-on impossible to break into IB from surrey without any connections

Just read this and I would go for this. Bristol in clearing is unusual I think. E&F is fine and a lot of what you learn in finance is directly applicable to working in any area of finance - not sure why you think studying it would be a bad thing. Economics is 99% non applicable to the workplace

No extenuating circumstances. I don't understand because I worked and put SO much time and effort into Maths. It was priority all year for me because I knew the A* was non negotiable. I honestly believed I'd get he A* in maths and an A in economics because I really had not tried as hard in economics as I could (not just saying this to sound arrogant/cocky). I think I will look into Bristol. I will give them a ring today. I think I have seen you on here before... Did you reapply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending