The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Main campus accommodation Questions.... (& Advice welcome!!)

I have a few questions (probably for current students at Nottingham) and would be grateful for any help/advice!

Are there pre-exisitng wall attachments? i.e. a mirror requiring a nail to be drilled into a wall? Do rooms have things to hang pictures or w/e off?

Are there fridges in rooms? Is it advisable to bring your own small fridge?

Do the rooms have any kind of safe?

What is copying/printing/scanning like at the main campus? Is there enough machines or should I bring my own?

Spoiler

Should I bring a whiteboard/notice board - do any rooms have any? Do all? Do none?

Is a bathmat a good idea?

Are the rooms generally large enough for a beanbag type of thing for someone other than me to sit?

Is there a chair in the room as standard? Is it worth looking into getting an office chair?

If you have made it this far, thank you very much for reading :tongue: have struggled to find this out through the site and any pics of room! Advice for freshers and societies to join/ any advice at all is welcome :biggrin:
Going into my fourth year, I'm sure I can help you with this :smile:

Are there pre-exisitng wall attachments? i.e. a mirror requiring a nail to be drilled into a wall? Do rooms have things to hang pictures or w/e off?

All the room will have mirrors in them, usually on inside of the wardrobe. Though if you have a room with a sink in it, you'll have a mirror above the sink as well.
They don't allow you to put up pictures I'm afraid, it has to be with blu-tack that doesn't leave marks on the walls.

Yes, you get your own mini fridge in the room. It has a tiny little freezer section in it as well, enough to get an ice cube tray in it :smile:

There isn't a safe, and there isn't much need for one. As long as you remember to lock your door whenever you leave, and keep your windows closed when you're out you won't have a problem. I'd advise even locking your room when you use the bathroom, just to be sure!

What is copying/printing/scanning like at the main campus? Is there enough machines or should I bring my own?

There are printers everywhere, so you don't need to bring your own unless its for a specific course! I'm bringing my own printer for fourth year, but I have a lot of A3 printing to do, and it works out cheaper for me.
Each hall on University Park campus has a printer/scanner in it now, so you can print off 24/7 when in halls. All the libraries have printers in them, and they're dotted about the university buildings as well.
You get about £6.00 worth of credit at the beginning of the year, and then can top that up online whenever you need more.

As the accommodation is catered, I'd assume there's not much need to bring cutlery, crockery etc.?

This is completely up to you! I always bring a couple of mugs, two plates, two bowls and two sets of cutlery. This is just so that if I get a takeaway, or have any snacks in my room I can use them! You don't need to bring anything, but if you feel like it then you can :smile:

Should I bring a whiteboard/notice board - do any rooms have any? Do all? Do none?

All rooms have noticeboards in them, so you don't need to bring one.

It depends on your bathroom situation and what you feel like! First year I had a private shared bathroom with another girl, and I brought a bathmat that we both used and took turns washing it. If you're sharing a bathroom with a corridor, you can bring one but just remember to take it with you each time :P

Are the rooms generally large enough for a beanbag type of thing for someone other than me to sit?

Again, up to the size of room you get! I did bring some fold away camping chairs first year that worked really well when I had friends over, but a bean bag might take up a bit too much space, even in the largest rooms.

Is there a chair in the room as standard? Is it worth looking into getting an office chair?

Yup :smile: All the rooms have office chairs along with the desk, so there's no need to bring one.

Hope this helps :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
Going into my fourth year, I'm sure I can help you with this :smile:

All the room will have mirrors in them, usually on inside of the wardrobe. Though if you have a room with a sink in it, you'll have a mirror above the sink as well.
They don't allow you to put up pictures I'm afraid, it has to be with blu-tack that doesn't leave marks on the walls.

Yes, you get your own mini fridge in the room. It has a tiny little freezer section in it as well, enough to get an ice cube tray in it :smile:

There isn't a safe, and there isn't much need for one. As long as you remember to lock your door whenever you leave, and keep your windows closed when you're out you won't have a problem. I'd advise even locking your room when you use the bathroom, just to be sure!

There are printers everywhere, so you don't need to bring your own unless its for a specific course! I'm bringing my own printer for fourth year, but I have a lot of A3 printing to do, and it works out cheaper for me.
Each hall on University Park campus has a printer/scanner in it now, so you can print off 24/7 when in halls. All the libraries have printers in them, and they're dotted about the university buildings as well.
You get about £6.00 worth of credit at the beginning of the year, and then can top that up online whenever you need more.

As the accommodation is catered, I'd assume there's not much need to bring cutlery, crockery etc.?

This is completely up to you! I always bring a couple of mugs, two plates, two bowls and two sets of cutlery. This is just so that if I get a takeaway, or have any snacks in my room I can use them! You don't need to bring anything, but if you feel like it then you can :smile:

All rooms have noticeboards in them, so you don't need to bring one.

It depends on your bathroom situation and what you feel like! First year I had a private shared bathroom with another girl, and I brought a bathmat that we both used and took turns washing it. If you're sharing a bathroom with a corridor, you can bring one but just remember to take it with you each time :P

Again, up to the size of room you get! I did bring some fold away camping chairs first year that worked really well when I had friends over, but a bean bag might take up a bit too much space, even in the largest rooms.

Yup :smile: All the rooms have office chairs along with the desk, so there's no need to bring one.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much! You've been really really helpful :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Audi
Thank you so much! You've been really really helpful :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You're very welcome :smile:

Do you know which hall you've been put in? I might be able to tell you what its like if I know it!
Reply 4
You're very welcome :smile:

Do you know which hall you've been put in? I might be able to tell you what its like if I know it!

I'm still yet to hear back for accommodation actually, but is it OK if I tell you when I find out?
Original post by Audi
I'm still yet to hear back for accommodation actually, but is it OK if I tell you when I find out?

Sure thing :smile:

And let me know if you have any other questions about the uni
Hey, i just confirmed Florence Boot Hall which i'm SO excited about! But, i haven't been given a room number or anything specific details like that, do you know when i will find these out?
Original post by Audi

Check your junk folder!!! I had about 5 emails from Notts in there, including my accommodation offer!
Original post by Factorisation
Hey, i just confirmed Florence Boot Hall which i'm SO excited about! But, i haven't been given a room number or anything specific details like that, do you know when i will find these out?

I'll also be staying in Florence Boot :h: so excited! What kind of room did you apply for?
Original post by carlaraptor
I'll also be staying in Florence Boot :h: so excited! What kind of room did you apply for?

Just a single study haha! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You find all of that out on the day :smile:

On moving in day, you'll go into your hall and usually in the reception or library area there will be loads of people to give you your room number, key and information packs. They also show you to your room :smile:
Just a single study haha! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!
Reply 12
Check your junk folder!!! I had about 5 emails from Notts in there, including my accommodation offer!

Thanks, I had a look and am still waiting for some kind of response from their accommodation team! I don't think it can be that much longer! :colondollar:

You find all of that out on the day :smile:

On moving in day, you'll go into your hall and usually in the reception or library area there will be loads of people to give you your room number, key and information packs. They also show you to your room :smile:

Ah that sounds good! I know this is probably a daft question, but what actually happens on the first day? Is there some sort of timetable?
Original post by Audi
Ah that sounds good! I know this is probably a daft question, but what actually happens on the first day? Is there some sort of timetable?

Not a daft question at all :smile:

You'll have a set time in which you can arrive, usually between 9 and 6 in the evening, but if you can't arrive then the halls are very accommodating.

First day doesn't have much of a timetable, just when dinner is and you'll have some speech/introduction at dinner about the next few days.
Hello! I'm desperately looking for someone to take over my offer at Broadgate Park. It's a self catered accommodation at university park. I have an offer for a studio (ensuite with kitchen)! The reason why i'm not taking up the offer is because my course is based near jubilee campus! Please tell me if you are interested!!! thank you so much!!
Reply 15
Not a daft question at all :smile:

You'll have a set time in which you can arrive, usually between 9 and 6 in the evening, but if you can't arrive then the halls are very accommodating.

First day doesn't have much of a timetable, just when dinner is and you'll have some speech/introduction at dinner about the next few days.

Ah that sounds good! Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending