The Student Room Group

Access 2015/2016

Is there a thread yet for people about to embark on an access course for this academic year (or thereabouts if distance learning)? It'd be great to have a place to chat about the journey with others doing it at the same time. If not, could I start one right here? Anyone up for it?

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm starting a access to health course in September :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi :smile: I'm also starting next month, mine is access to health sciences :-)

I'm going to uni to study nursing next year
Reply 3
Original post by MissDetermined
Hi :smile: I'm also starting next month, mine is access to health sciences :-)

I'm going to uni to study nursing next year

I'm thinking of doing an access course in health sciences too! , what was the requirement for you to get onto the course?
I just needed GCSE's in maths, english, science. (C and above) You can take one GCSE alongside the access course but they prefer it if you have them all already. They also ask for you to have some relevant work experience in the field that you want to study in at uni.
Might not be the case for everyone but for mine, as I want to do nursing, they expected me to have relevant work experience.
Reply 5
Hey, doing an access course in Engineering in September, will be hoping to get into electrical Engineering at University next year :smile:
I had to have GCSE in English language, maths and science 😀

Reply 7
Hi 😀 I'm starting an access to nursing course on Monday.. So excited and nervous lol.
Reply 8
do you think access course lvl 3 is harder than btec lvl3 in health and social care?. also how old are you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/
I'm 25

Reply 10
I'm 33
Hi best of luck to all! I've just done a access course in health science professions and it was brilliant, miss my class already. Am now going on to start a course in Audiology at uni so it works if you concentrate on everything.

Put your all into learning everything that is taught. If you don't understand anything, go home and watch a YouTube video on it (especially Khan academy videos).
Start assignments as soon as you receive them. It helped me to aim to finish assignments a week in advance - 'the night before' the hand in date should be for proof reading.
Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 24.
Original post by glo420
do you think access course lvl 3 is harder than btec lvl3 in health and social care?. also how old are you guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/

Generally, I would say Access is harder than BTEC, but I don't have specific experience of the particular course you mentioned. Age ranges on Access programmes usually vary between 18 - 50+, with most people in their 20s and 30s.
Access to Humanities and Social Science here!

Chose the economics/ psychology/ sociology pathway. Hoping to study business or economics with a foreign language at university!

Good luck all!
Thought I might put my two pennies worth in. :biggrin: I'm 19 and will be studying the Access to Social Science diploma in a couple of weeks (Sociology, Psychology and English Literature) alongside GCSE Mathematics and GCSE Biology (although this is very undecided and I'll be having a chat with my Tutor next week about workload etc). I hope study Psychology w/Neuroscience at University next year.

My head is actually a little all over the place at the moment as over the last couple of weeks/months (mainly over the holidays) I've leant more to a Scientific area of interest. Originally plans were Politics and IR- I soon fell out of love with the subject and decided Politics was more of a hobbie (?). By which I mean just keep up with current affairs and not studying it further at degree level; my heart just really wasn't in it

I really find working within Healthcare a very rewarding career, and am enjoy the Health Sciences immensely at the moment. Although, with such a poor Science background I didn't want to through myself into the deep in with a Science Access course- was worried about Chemistry (not a strong point for me) and didn't have the prerequisites anyway. But also love, and have for many years the idea of being within Education- I've wanted to go into teaching since I was around 12/13 and genuinely see that as a realistic career path that I would be good at. I can get easily see myself as a GCSE secondary or Post-16 teacher.

I have been tossing back a forth with the Access course I had been accepted on from Febuary, to choosing a more Science-orientated one. I've chosen to apply for Psychology and Neuroscience at degree level as I thought it was a sort of "half-way house" between teaching and Healthcare. I could realistically go into both with further training- PGCE for Teaching, Science Training Programme with NHS, for example to make my way into the Healthcare sector. I enjoy Neurosciece, and find the Science side to it very invigorating so Neurophysiology/Neurology does seem appealing. But I'm getting way too ahead of myself.

After so much deliberation, I ultimately decided Access to Social Sciences, GCSE Maths and Biology would be my best bet- the Universities I am interested are happy to accept those qualifications as entry and both doors are open to Teaching and Healthcare. I just don't want to rush straight into the Medical field as I haven't really found my ground yet. It's so competitive and you really have to know what you want to pursue this, which quite frankly, I don't.

I really don't know where all that came from. :colondollar: I just really want to get started now, and wish I'd have thought about all this earlier on in the year to allow for time for course transfers etc.

EDIT: Rather than making my post a whiny one, I'd also quickly like to say good luck to everyone for September!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm starting Access to Humanities at College of West Anglia in September, have applied to do the part time one evening a week & 10 saturdays throughout the year but will change to the daytime, 3 days a week in college option. Already been told that swapping won't be a problem. There's several reasons for the swap with the main one being that I'll be able to do Sociology rather than Psychology, other subject choice is History and English is compulsory.
Hey

I'm doing Social Science and Humanities starting Sept. I want to do Human Geography in Uni

So nervous!.
I am starting the access course for science next month; hoping to go on to uni to study biomedical sciences.

Hyped.
Hi all,

I'm going to be studying an Access to Science course starting this September and I cant wait. I want to study Podiatry in 2016, but I havent decided where I want to go yet. Looks like I'm going to be visiting a lot of universities over the next 12 months...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending