The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

TV Production students?

Is anyone studying television production in september? Or anyone doing the course and tell me what it is really like? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EllieBeazley
Is anyone studying televisin production in september? Or anyone doing the course and tell me what it is really like? :smile:

I start TV Production this September :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Hi Ellie

I was on the TV Production course and have now left to transfer to a different university after 1 year.

In all honesty, generally terrible. They have good guest speakers and good lecturers for studio but that is about it. I learnt much more on a BTEC Level 3 course and doing work experience at ITV. They don't teach you about employment laws, which is vitally important as film/TV has its own rules. For example: runners are not allowed to be self-employed. The structure of the course means you are basically a production line, with no room to explore and learn new things. For example, some groups had just just over a week to put together an assessed fashion show in the studio (BTW, no access to the studio or filming allowed prior to the studio day).

Final Cut Pro, studio lighting, and script writing are also not covered on the course. These I find are important. You have to rely on technicians to setup lighting on studio days. Whilst we can bring onboard students from the script-writing course, it would be nice to learn some stuff ourselves as you cannot always rely on others. In regards to FCP, many jobs require you to have knowledge of this software and it is quite different to AVID and Premiere.

And if you are a student with medical issues, well I wish you luck. I had nothing but hassle with the place.

I don't want to scare you off, but I want to give you a realistic outlook of the course. It's not what it is all hyped up to be.

Kirsty
Reply 3
Original post by niamhcaitlin13
I start TV Production this September :smile:

Awesome! I also start in September I am so excited! You staying in halls?
Reply 4
Original post by KBradders
Hi Ellie

I was on the TV Production course and have now left to transfer to a different university after 1 year.

In all honesty, generally terrible. They have good guest speakers and good lecturers for studio but that is about it. I learnt much more on a BTEC Level 3 course and doing work experience at ITV. They don't teach you about employment laws, which is vitally important as film/TV has its own rules. For example: runners are not allowed to be self-employed. The structure of the course means you are basically a production line, with no room to explore and learn new things. For example, some groups had just just over a week to put together an assessed fashion show in the studio (BTW, no access to the studio or filming allowed prior to the studio day).

Final Cut Pro, studio lighting, and script writing are also not covered on the course. These I find are important. You have to rely on technicians to setup lighting on studio days. Whilst we can bring onboard students from the script-writing course, it would be nice to learn some stuff ourselves as you cannot always rely on others. In regards to FCP, many jobs require you to have knowledge of this software and it is quite different to AVID and Premiere.

And if you are a student with medical issues, well I wish you luck. I had nothing but hassle with the place.

I don't want to scare you off, but I want to give you a realistic outlook of the course. It's not what it is all hyped up to be.

Kirsty

this is the first negative feedback I've had of the course thank you! I hope my experience is much better
Awesome! I also start in September I am so excited! You staying in halls?

Finally found someone on my course! Yeah, I'm in Cranborne, you?
Reply 6
Original post by niamhcaitlin13
Finally found someone on my course! Yeah, I'm in Cranborne, you?

I was starting to believe I was the only person on this course haven't been able to find a single person doing it! I'm in Purbeck in which I believe is across the road from Cranborne
I was starting to believe I was the only person on this course haven't been able to find a single person doing it! I'm in Purbeck in which I believe is across the road from Cranborne

Me too, haven't found anyone else! Ah that's cool, I've heard good things about Purbeck haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending