The Student Room Group

On the fence about abortion, and I have some moral questions for both sides

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Imperion
Oh, I did. You chose to ignore it but here, I'll clarify. You say all complex life has rights, no? Well, are you telling me the animals slaughtered everyday have rights? My point is; not all complex life has rights. And won't ever.

NGL, I have no clue what pro choice is.

:laugh:

ok well then how do you justify your distinctions morally, ie what are the constant laws that define which complex life has aright to live and which doesn't
Original post by josh75
ok well then how do you justify your distinctions morally, ie what are the constant laws that define which complex life has aright to live and which doesn't

O_O Depends on its dependents. I wouldn't force a couple to have a kid while clearly they won't manage. Sorry for the shabby answer - it's 5:40 AM :redface:
Reply 22
Original post by josh75
well science defines it at conception but i personally am torn because the day after pill is not the same as an abortion or the killing of a baby so my question is where do you make the distinction and what basis do you have for it.

but we have laws against animal cruelty and they cant kill the animals in anyway they want

Ok firstly 'science' does not define anything, I'm not sure what you meant by that...

The distinction between what? Killing a newborn baby and a foetus? I don't think there is much argument here since no-one would say they are the same thing.

We can't abort in any way we want. In fact the abortion act was made specifically so that abortion is a medical procedure that can only be carried out by doctors according to strict guidelines...
I think abortion is fine and should be allowed ONLY during the first trimester, when the 'foetus', if you can call it that, is just a bunch of cells.

After that the water become waaaaay too murky and the current limit of 26 weeks is unacceptable, many children have survived after being born that early.

And also it shouldn't be free and covered by the NHS. If you don't want a child there's a plethora of contraceptives available. It's also not like women wake up one day and they're randomly pregnant; if you can't afford a child or an abortion, it's simple just don't engage in sex, it's not a birth given right for a person to have sex.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Perhaps a pro-choicer would condemn selective abortion, not because they think it is a violation of anybody's rights or morally wrong on a fundamental level, but rather because of the potential impact it might have upon society. For example in India, gender selective abortion is banned in order to avoid a huge gender imbalance in society, because as a result of cultural factors, many people prefer to have sons rather than daughters.

Exactly. I am 100% pro choice with every fibre of my being but you cannot have selective abortion where people start having abortions just because they dont like some minor detail. If you choose to be a parent you will have to love that kid no matter if he turns out ginger, left handed, gay or whatever else. Imagine the amount of idiots who would start getting abortions because it isnt the 'perfect baby' they imagine, birth rate would significantly drop, increase in health and fertility complications for women, and as you said, imagine if people in India started aborting fetuses based on gender!! It would be a disaster.

Anyways,miniscule foetuses are not human beings, just like any other cells in your body arent human beings either, is the sperm you shoot into your tissue a human being thrown out into the trash? Like seriously, people need to get a brain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by what is thisMkII
I think abortion is fine and should be allowed ONLY during the first trimester, when the 'foetus', if you can call it that, is just a bunch of cells.

After that the water become waaaaay too murky and the current limit of 26 weeks is unacceptable, many children have survived after being born that early.

And also it shouldn't be free and covered by the NHS. If you don't want a child there's a plethora of contraceptives available. It's also not like women wake up one day and they're randomly pregnant; if you can't afford a child or an abortion, it's simple just don't engage in sex, it's not a birth given right for a person to have sex.

true but does anyone really think abortion should be covered by the NHS? lol.

Tbh I dont understand those who say tampons or contraceptives or whatever should be free, I understand those are basic items we all need, but having a place to live or water to drink are also basic items we all need yet that isnt free.
Original post by tazarooni89
Perhaps a pro-choicer would condemn selective abortion, not because they think it is a violation of anybody's rights or morally wrong on a fundamental level, but rather because of the potential impact it might have upon society. For example in India, gender selective abortion is banned in order to avoid a huge gender imbalance in society, because as a result of cultural factors, many people prefer to have sons rather than daughters.

Original post by driftawaay
Exactly. I am 100% pro choice with every fibre of my being but you cannot have selective abortion where people start having abortions just because they dont like some minor detail. If you choose to be a parent you will have to love that kid no matter if he turns out ginger, left handed, gay or whatever else. Imagine the amount of idiots who would start getting abortions because it isnt the 'perfect baby' they imagine, birth rate would significantly drop, increase in health and fertility complications for women, and as you said, imagine if people in India started aborting fetuses based on gender!! It would be a disaster.

Anyways,miniscule foetuses are not human beings, just like any other cells in your body arent human beings either, is the sperm you shoot into your tissue a human being thrown out into the trash? Like seriously, people need to get a brain.

You can't start putting arbitrary restrictions on the reasoning for getting an abortion. This is where your views start to get murky and contradictory. If a fetus really just is a collection of cells with no claim to being called a human being, people should be able to abort for any reason at all. They shouldn't have to carry a fetus to term that they don't want to raise, period, even if their reasoning for doing so is bigoted in most peoples' view.
true but does anyone really think abortion should be covered by the NHS? lol.

By most feminists.

Tbh I dont understand those who say tampons

I guess you could make a case for tampons; after all it's not like women can control their periods, so to be honest, making tampons free, especially for those who cannot afford it, isn't a bad idea at all actually.

or contraceptives or whatever should be free,

Yeah I absolutely agree that abortion/contraceptives should not be free under any condition, sex is not a god given right for anyone to receive.

I understand those are basic items we all need, but having a place to live or water to drink are also basic items we all need yet that isnt free.

That's true too, but honestly, even the poorest of the poor can afford water in this country :tongue:
no uterus no opinion
[QUOTE=minor bun engine;58623425]You can't start putting arbitrary restrictions on the reasoning for getting an abortion. This is where your views start to get murky and contradictory. If a fetus really just is a collection of cells with no claim to being called a human being, people should be able to abort for any reason at all. They shouldn't have to carry a fetus to term that they don't want to raise, period, even if their reasoning for doing so is bigoted in most peoples' view.

Yes we can and we do. It is not contradiction.

Individual characteristics like handedness arent even known in the first trimester since the foetus DOESNT HAVE INDIVIDUAL HUMAN CHARACTERISTICS. It is not a human. As I said its just a bunch of cells the same way sperm is just a bunch of cells that could potentially evolve into a human being but sperm itself is not a human being. When you go in for an abortion a few weeks after you got pregnant its just a bunch of cells. You can actually tell handedness in the later stages of pregnancy, and obviously at that point it is a human being when it has developed a heart, etc, thats why abortion is not allowed in all stages of pregnancy - the cells evolve into a human! Therefore aborting a foetus because it is left handed is wrong BECAUSE if you can tell it is left handed, it is not just cells at that stage , it is already a human being!

Also, just a side note, I cannot deal with the idiots who say things like 'What if your mom aborted you???' The answer is, nothing. If you got aborted you would have never been born and if you had never been born you would not have a brain to realize you were never born therefore it does not matter to anybody whether they are born or not. Cells that get aborted in the first trimester dont go to heaven crying about how mommy aborted them. Then again some people might believe that does happen which isnt surprising since some people also believe the Earth was created in 7 days by some random guy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes we can and we do. It is not contradiction.

Individual characteristics like handedness arent even known in the first trimester since the foetus DOESNT HAVE INDIVIDUAL HUMAN CHARACTERISTICS. It is not a human. As I said its just a bunch of cells the same way sperm is just a bunch of cells that could potentially evolve into a human being but sperm itself is not a human being. When you go in for an abortion a few weeks after you got pregnant its just a bunch of cells. You can actually tell handedness in the later stages of pregnancy, and obviously at that point it is a human being when it has developed a heart, etc, thats why abortion is not allowed in all stages of pregnancy - the cells evolve into a human! Therefore aborting a foetus because it is left handed is wrong BECAUSE if you can tell it is left handed, it is not just cells at that stage , it is already a human being!

Also, just a side note, I cannot deal with the idiots who say things like 'What if your mom aborted you???' The question, nothing. If you got aborted you would have never been born and if you had never born born you would not have a brain to realize you were never born therefore it does not matter to anybody whether they are born or not. Cells that get aborted in the first trimester dont go to heaven crying about how mommy aborted them. Then again some people might believe that does happen which isnt surprising since some people also believe the Earth was created in 7 days by some random guy with a beard.

You can tell handedness well before the fetus is viable. I'm not sure you understand when the fetus becomes a human being, it isn't just "when it starts to look a bit human".
Original post by vincentjack
no uterus no opinion

Thank you!

Lets face it, if men were able to get pregnant, abortion would not even be a question at all and you could get it done at the corner shop whenever you wanted.
Original post by minor bun engine
You can tell handedness well before the fetus is viable. I'm not sure you understand when the fetus becomes a human being, it isn't just "when it starts to look a bit human".

You cannot tell a bunch of cells is left handed at the early stages of pregnancy. I'm not sure you understand English though.
You cannot tell a bunch of cells is left handed at the early stages of pregnancy. I'm not sure you understand English though.

Abortion is still legal even when the fetus has most recognisable human characteristics. Handedness is supposedly determinable at 10 weeks, well within the abortion limit:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6186-handedness-develops-in-the-womb/

Do you actually know what the current abortion limit is based on? Your posts seem to indicate you don't the first clue, so perhaps discussing this topic isn't really your thing.
Reply 34
Thank you!

Lets face it, if men were able to get pregnant, abortion would not even be a question at all and you could get it done at the corner shop whenever you wanted.

Its pretty vile how you want to turn a debate about an important moral question into a men vs women argument. You're just doing the same old thing all murderers do, you try to dehumanise what you're killing and claim it isn't really human because it is an inconvinience to you. Its delusional rationalisation which is why so many people find abortion abhorrent, they can see right through your morally corrupt reasoning, its really just about murdering something you find annoying.
Original post by minor bun engine
Abortion is still legal even when the fetus has most recognisable human characteristics. Handedness is supposedly determinable at 10 weeks, well within the abortion limit:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6186-handedness-develops-in-the-womb/

Do you actually know what the current abortion limit is based on? Your posts seem to indicate you don't the first clue, so perhaps discussing this topic isn't really your thing.

The first trimester is until week 12 so 'well within the abortion limit' is a bit of a stretch, its plus two weeks out of 9 months. Therefor you cannot tell whether it is left handed or not for 75% of the first trimester. Perhaps the abortion limit could be lowered by a few weeks. All of this correspons with what I said, which is that cells at 4 weeks old havent developed characteristics like that yet. So thank you for providing a source to prove me right!
Original post by Tater
Its pretty vile how you want to turn a debate about an important moral question into a men vs women argument. You're just doing the same old thing all murderers do, you try to dehumanise what you're killing and claim it isn't really human because it is an inconvinience to you. Its delusional rationalisation which is why so many people find abortion abhorrent, they can see right through your morally corrupt reasoning, its really just about murdering something you find annoying.

It is a men vs women argument, since we all know the amount of anti-abortion people would significantly drop if men were able to get pregnant. This is simply common sense and is perfectly relevant to the pro-life/pro-choice argument.

Coincidentally, it is mostly the most right wing and socially conservative people who want to ban abortion and call people murderers yet they also support the death penalty, apparently it isnt okay to 'murder' cells but murdering actual human beings is OK! That is what morally corrupt reasoning is. The pro-choice argument is basic common sense but of course you dont understand that.

Thank you for calling me a murderer, I find you annoying but I wouldnt murder you though xo
The first trimester is until week 12 so 'well within the abortion limit' is a bit of a stretch, its plus two weeks out of 9 months. Therefor you cannot tell whether it is left handed or not for 75% of the first trimester. Perhaps the abortion limit could be lowered by a few weeks. All of this correspons with what I said, which is that cells at 4 weeks old havent developed characteristics like that yet. So thank you for providing a source to prove me right!

What does the first trimester have to do with anything? Abortion is legal up to 24 weeks in the UK. For your own goddamn sake, stop posting and embarrassing yourself further.
Original post by josh75
1. Does a foetus have any rights or value?
2. On what moral grounds does the mother alone decide a foetus's worth?
3. In instances like a woman aborting a girl because she wanted a boy, or aborting a gay baby because she wanted a straight one is this any less moral that aborting a child simply because you didn't want one, and if so would you ban it?

1. It cannot survive without the mother up until the point of viability (after which it is illegal to abort, anyway). The foetus, therefore, does not have any rights.
2. Her body, her life, her decision. There are so many reasons why a woman may choose or need or want to abort. It is not up to other people to decide what happens to her. The foetus cannot think or talk, so yes, the mother decides what happens.
3. The child will suffer if they are in a family that does not want the baby. If you force a woman to keep her child, for whatever reason, the baby is going to suffer. It's the woman body, it is her choice.
Original post by what is thisMkII

How ridiculous. A man could then have sex without worrying about funding the cost of an abortion. Why should the woman be the only one to suffer (going through the trauma of an abortion as well as having to pay for it when they may be struggling already... that's completely wrong). Contraceptives don't always work. Women can also be raped, in which case they wouldn't be using a contraceptive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending