The Student Room Group

I really want to be an actor

I've had virtually no experience in acting, is there any way to kick start the journey to becoming one? I've not got enough money to buy a camera and/or a decent computer so YouTube is out of the question atm sadly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do local plays/ theatre peformances.? Maybe try to become an extra in somthing. But idk how you would do that.

So start of with plays, i guess where most actors would start with than somehow magically get an agent.
Reply 2
Original post by Kholmes1
Do local plays/ theatre peformances.? Maybe try to become an extra in somthing. But idk how you would do that.

So start of with plays, i guess where most actors would start with than somehow magically get an agent.

Is this like a guess it do you kinda know what you're talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Oscar.
Is this like a guess it do you kinda know what you're talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not really a guess, start of with plays and theatre. Second bit is kinda a guess. I wou.d say go to a drama school but idk how you are,
Reply 5
Its not really a guess, start of with plays and theatre. Second bit is kinda a guess. I wou.d say go to a drama school but idk how you are,

I'm not going to trust your advice if you don't have any experience man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just create one of them "1 million likes and I get to star in a movie with Leo Di Caprio" posts on facebook with like a banner. That's a longshot but I've seen it done and it's the quickest way.
try www.starnow.co.uk

Get extras roles sitting in the background and watch the professionals at work, so to get an idea of the environment and the work required.

You need to invest your money and time in getting places.

You really need to make yourself noticed to the right people and get in those circles and network and get to know people.

You could get a small temporary part and a few one-liners.

You could get lucky! Try and find out if you are!
Oh my. How stupid are you? All im saying is start of with plays and try to get roles as extras or people in the background. Hardly anyone becomes a well known actor out of no where. Good luck becoming an actor when you dont do those thungs first. 😂
Reply 9
Original post by Protagoras
try www.starnow.co.uk

Get extras roles sitting in the background and watch the professionals at work, so to get an idea of the environment and the work required.

You need to invest your money and time in getting places.

You really need to make yourself noticed to the right people and get in those circles and network and get to know people.

You could get a small temporary part and a few one-liners.

You could get lucky! Try and find out if you are!

Thanks man! I appreciate the educated answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Oh my. How stupid are you? All im saying is start of with plays and try to get roles as extras or people in the background. Hardly anyone becomes a well known actor out of no where. Good luck becoming an actor when you dont do those thungs first. 😂

You're the stupid one my friend, you think I'm going to do what you say when you have no experience and it's a guess?! As if! Come back when you have something that's of good use to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oscar.
You're the stupid one my friend, you think I'm going to do what you say when you have no experience and it's a guess?! As if! Come back when you have something that's of good use to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, it sounded quite harsh after reading it. All im saying is that you should start intheatre/ plays to get experience.
Also it wasnt a guess. I said pretty much the same thing as the other guy.
Reply 13
Also it wasnt a guess. I said pretty much the same thing as the other guy.

The way you worded it seemed like you didn't know what you were talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oscar.
The way you worded it seemed like you didn't know what you were talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
You should also audition for student films at universities as it's a great way to earn a credit and build up a show reel. Of course it depends on the type of acting you want to do. If theatre is more your thing, you need to do a lot of plays, musicals etc and maybe try to get into drama school - you don't need to go to drama school but it will be much harder to get an agent/work without it :smile:
the average "salary" for an actor ( card carrying equity member) in there UK is less than £7k.

Most "actors" need a real job to survive.
75% of actors are "resting"

The advice that you have been given is fine.
Nobody's going to employ you for loads of money if you can't produce a CV/showreel, so you need to join am-dram groups, be willing to act in local video club films, and maybe do paid extra work.
Never pay to join an agency, they take a cut of your pay.

to become a proper actor, drama school isn't essential, but most people will have been.
The bonus is that you may get an equity card at the end of the course if you've done enough external work.

work is hard to find. period.
harder still without a union card

buy the Stage paper and look at the jobs
First thing you're going to have to learn is how to take direction!

Second thing is, you have to be nice to everyone on your way up, otherwise they won't be nice to you on your way down!

So maybe work on that motivation soldier
Original post by Oscar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending