The Student Room Group

Missing out on clearing, waiting for GCSE results?

I am in a bit of a bad place right now. Both my unis are waiting for my GCSE results to come in before they make a decision, UCAS wont let me add choices in clearing because of this. Is there any way to speed things up?

Really dont want to go to my insurance place (Westminster) and i feel like waiting till thursday is pushing it, i know many places have gone already :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by thegalacticone
I am in a bit of a bad place right now. Both my unis are waiting for my GCSE results to come in before they make a decision, UCAS wont let me add choices in clearing because of this. Is there any way to speed things up?

Really dont want to go to my insurance place (Westminster) and i feel like waiting till thursday is pushing it, i know many places have gone already :frown:
Assuming you do want your firm choice if you meet their offer (or they accept you anyway), you can try asking Westminster to reject you now. If Westminster gets this done quickly, it would mean you'd be straight into Clearing if you weren't accepted by your firm. Even if you persuaded your firm to reject now as well, you would still have the problem that you'll need those GCSEs to meet entry requirements at many universities. The universities that are more lenient about GCSE requirements and will accept alternatives/equivalents will still have places on offer on Thursday.

If you are really worried about missing out, you could try talking to some unis now and see what they say, but you must tell them what situation you are in. Remember that you will need to forward your GCSE results to the uni yourself, and it is in your interests to do this as quickly as possible.
Original post by Minerva
Assuming you do want your firm choice if you meet their offer (or they accept you anyway), you can try asking Westminster to reject you now. If Westminster gets this done quickly, it would mean you'd be straight into Clearing if you weren't accepted by your firm. Even if you persuaded your firm to reject now as well, you would still have the problem that you'll need those GCSEs to meet entry requirements at many universities. The universities that are more lenient about GCSE requirements and will accept alternatives/equivalents will still have places on offer on Thursday.

If you are really worried about missing out, you could try talking to some unis now and see what they say, but you must tell them what situation you are in. Remember that you will need to forward your GCSE results to the uni yourself, and it is in your interests to do this as quickly as possible.

Thaks for your reply. My clearing choice (Goldsmith) would have accepted me but they are full up now so a little peeved at that. Just have to see how it goes.

Does the uni you attend really have that big an influence on career aspirations? My grades suggest i can go to a top 50 uni (hence my reservations against going to Westminster) but they are the one place where i have guaranteed entry right now. Not sure if i should hold out till next year, getting on a bit though (im 24)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thaks for your reply. My clearing choice (Goldsmith) would have accepted me but they are full up now so a little peeved at that. Just have to see how it goes.

Does the uni you attend really have that big an influence on career aspirations? My grades suggest i can go to a top 50 uni (hence my reservations against going to Westminster) but they are the one place where i have guaranteed entry right now. Not sure if i should hold out till next year, getting on a bit though (im 26)
Career prospects are much more about what you make of your opportunities than which uni you went to. That said, if you aren't sure, better to put it off for another year than risk making an expensive mistake, especially if you are having to give up a job to do this!
Original post by Minerva
Career prospects are much more about what you make of your opportunities than which uni you went to. That said, if you aren't sure, better to put it off for another year than risk making an expensive mistake, especially if you are having to give up a job to do this!

Nah I just wanted to double check. I don't want to miss out on a job opportunity in the future if for example I've got a first degree but the uni I attended isn't held in high esteem :wink:.

Sent From My Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Nah I just wanted to double check. I don't want to miss out on a job opportunity in the future if for example I've got a first degree but the uni I attended isn't held in high esteem :wink:.
To be honest, most employers neither know nor care about uni rankings. They certainly couldn't recite the list of RG unis, contrary to what most people seem to believe on here!
Original post by Minerva
To be honest, most employers neither know nor care about uni rankings. They certainly couldn't recite the list of RG unis, contrary to what most people seem to believe on here!

Phew, that's some stress off my shoulders then :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending