The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sport should have a clear and defined winner, music is subjective and therefore not a sport
Original post by cole-slaw
You can't play a cricket or rugby match without an opposition.

In one the competitive element is intrinsic to the activity; in the other, it is

You can perform a dive, an ice dance or a synchronised swimming routine without an opposition.
no
Original post by llys
Take someone who plays a musical instrument - say the piano, the violin or the guitar (or whatever, really).

They develop prodigious amount of physical skill on a physical instrument, by going through lots of tedious training exercises to develop finger strength, speed and endurance. They either try to reproduce patterns perfectly (like gymnastics), or develop complex tactical skills (for example for improvisation with other players). They can then compete in front of an audience (lots of classical or jazz music competitions, or shows like X-Factor). Finally, performing is physically exhausting. (If you suffer even the slightest bit from stage-fright, it will even increase your heart rate.)

So, do you agree that music is actually a sport? If so, why not give pupils the option to choose a musical instrument in PE?

on that "logic," texting is a sport. gtfoh.

and no. not like gymnastics, the hell? :rofl: i'm not laughing at you, i'm laughing at my reaction and how my face and brain feel reading this.
Original post by Flather
Sport should have a clear and defined winner, music is subjective and therefore not a sport

that's beautiful. i agree.
Original post by nulli tertius
You can perform a dive, an ice dance or a synchronised swimming routine without an opposition.

Precisely. None of those are sports.

Come on, one even has "dance" in the name to give you a clue.
When determining if something is a sport, a game, or a pastime, the answer used to be
"Can you smoke a cigarette while doing it?"

Stuff like the early Olympics and Highland games did/do have non sporting elements.
It is a mistake to assume that the activities must therefore be sporty.
Reply 27
Precisely. None of those are sports.

Come on, one even has "dance" in the name to give you a clue.

You can run 100 metres or throw a discus without opposition. :wink:
Original post by llys
You can run 100 metres or throw a discus without opposition. :wink:

practicing running 100m by yourself and taking part in a 100m race shoulder to shoulder with your opponents are different though. How you run affects how they run.
Reply 29
practicing running 100m by yourself and taking part in a 100m race shoulder to shoulder with your opponents are different though. How you run affects how they run.

Long or high jump then. :h:
Reply 30
I wouldn't necessarily call music a sport, although if someone asked me if I'd had any exercise/worked out/done any sort of physical activity, I would absolutely say "Yes, I practised the Euphonium for half an hour" (or words to that effect)

Not to mention carrying the euph up and down stairs, to and from lessons etc.
Reply 31
Original post by leahdw
I wouldn't necessarily call music a sport, although if someone asked me if I'd had any exercise/worked out/done any sort of physical activity, I would absolutely say "Yes, I practised the Euphonium for half an hour" (or words to that effect)

Not to mention carrying the euph up and down stairs, to and from lessons etc.

I want to buy an accordion so I can get a workout while actually having some fun.
Reply 32
Original post by llys
I want to buy an accordion so I can get a workout while actually having some fun.

I reckon taking up the organ would be good for that, mainly because it gives you a leg workout, and you could reach the pinnacle of coordination.

Although I reckon an accordion would be far easier to find, and cheaper. Still, I can dream!
Reply 33
Original post by leahdw
I reckon taking up the organ would be good for that, mainly because it gives you a leg workout, and you could reach the pinnacle of coordination.

Although I reckon an accordion would be far easier to find, and cheaper. Still, I can dream!

20' accordion, 20' organ and 20' euphonium while running up and down the stairs = the perfect workout.
Original post by llys
20' accordion, 20' organ and 20' euphonium while running up and down the stairs = the perfect workout.

You have a 20' organ?
Original post by llys

Do you know the definition of a gentleman?

A man who who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
Reply 36
Original post by nulli tertius
Do you know the definition of a gentleman?

A man who who can play the accordion, but doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4WnwU6IUWY
No
is a banana a potato? no srs im confused
Original post by Poole & The Gang
No it is not a sport. The definition of sport has already been diluted with things like darts it doesn't need to to be spread thinner.

Darts is a sport. Not a physically demanding one, sure, but it is definitely a sport.

Latest

Trending

Trending