The Student Room Group

York's VL12 vs. Bristol's V100

Hello everyone...

I just received an offer from Bristol for History (AAA) and having been rejected by Cambridge and Durham and deciding I was probably going to be rejected by Bristol too and go to York (History and Politics AAB) I'm a bit thrown. I was wondering if anyone could help me with my choice between them?

The course at York seems really good and since applying there I have become more keen on the idea of doing a joint degree: history with politics thrown in there for extra spice sounds good to me! I visited York at the start of December and thought it seemed nice and having read various things on TSR I fell head over heels in love with it. The problem I have is basically:
Should I pick York because I quite like the idea of living in a small city and at a campus uni that would probably be a really friendly feel and things doing a course that seems really fab (and as an extra bonus being 30mins from my bf) OR should I pick Bristol because I am told that it's "better" than York and do a course that I'm not 300% happy about (although I do think I will enjoy just History I'm worried about the job possibilities as I've been told that with a bit of Politics I'll be more employable, could this just be bullsh|t?) and live in a big city which I'm not sure I would like that much since I've not really lived anywhere like that before (I lived in the Isle of Man for most of my adolescence, there's a reason why most of you will not have heard of it except for perhaps with regards to motorbike racing.) ???

Sorry for the ridiculously long sentence.. I hope you get the general gist of my dilemma.. Oh and before I got an offer from Bristol I planned to put York as my firm and Leeds (History) as my insurance (Also AAB but they dont specify I have to get an A in History) I don't want to be overly optimistic but I do think that I will be able to get AAA so if I put Bristol as my firm and York as my insurance I probably wouldn't get to go to York in the end. But I guess there's still a chance. I have been predicted 4As though.. but who knows what I'll actually get.. Bleh :frown:

More apologies for length.. Hope someone can help, thanks in advance *sobs*

Amy.
Reply 1
I have the same offer for VL12. I don't know much about Bristol other than it is good, but then again so is York! :smile: The politics element probably does make you marginally more employable, but I doubt it makes a great difference.
Reply 2
In terms of employability, the history department at Bristol may have a better reputation, but generally York is still a university which is very highly regarded, and most employers will know how university's reputations are generally rather than the reletive reputations of individual departments/courses. And seeing as you seem to be really enthusiastic about all the other elements of the uni, I'd say go there. But then, I'm probably biased as York is going to be my firm choice heh heh
Reply 3
arabellaweir
Hello everyone...

I just received an offer from Bristol for History (AAA) and having been rejected by Cambridge and Durham and deciding I was probably going to be rejected by Bristol too and go to York (History and Politics AAB) I'm a bit thrown. I was wondering if anyone could help me with my choice between them?

The course at York seems really good and since applying there I have become more keen on the idea of doing a joint degree: history with politics thrown in there for extra spice sounds good to me! I visited York at the start of December and thought it seemed nice and having read various things on TSR I fell head over heels in love with it. The problem I have is basically:
Should I pick York because I quite like the idea of living in a small city and at a campus uni that would probably be a really friendly feel and things doing a course that seems really fab (and as an extra bonus being 30mins from my bf) OR should I pick Bristol because I am told that it's "better" than York and do a course that I'm not 300% happy about (although I do think I will enjoy just History I'm worried about the job possibilities as I've been told that with a bit of Politics I'll be more employable, could this just be bullsh|t?) and live in a big city which I'm not sure I would like that much since I've not really lived anywhere like that before (I lived in the Isle of Man for most of my adolescence, there's a reason why most of you will not have heard of it except for perhaps with regards to motorbike racing.) ???

Sorry for the ridiculously long sentence.. I hope you get the general gist of my dilemma.. Oh and before I got an offer from Bristol I planned to put York as my firm and Leeds (History) as my insurance (Also AAB but they dont specify I have to get an A in History) I don't want to be overly optimistic but I do think that I will be able to get AAA so if I put Bristol as my firm and York as my insurance I probably wouldn't get to go to York in the end. But I guess there's still a chance. I have been predicted 4As though.. but who knows what I'll actually get.. Bleh :frown:

More apologies for length.. Hope someone can help, thanks in advance *sobs*

Amy.
Living in Bristol, I can say that it could be a bit of a cultural shock if you come from a small rural area (please forgive my ignorance on the Isle of Man). Having said that, it's far from unpleasant, and they're doing even more redevelopment work at the cost of many £££s.
Reply 4
A degree from Bristol is not going to make you more employable than a degree from York. If you would be happier at York then come here.
Reply 5
KerriT
A degree from Bristol is not going to make you more employable than a degree from York. If you would be happier at York then come here.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but out of interest, why do you think that?
Reply 6
I don't think there's really that much difference between York and Bristol in terms of employment prospects.
Reply 7
I obviously can't decide for you, but I'll add my 2 cents:

1st cent: The fact your boyfriend lives near York should (imo) be irrelevant. I know it's tempting to marginally favour York because he's closer, but don't (not that I think you were going to).

2nd cent: I don't think the political element will make you more employable. Would an employer favour someone with a Politics degree over someone with a History degree? I doubt it. Why would you favour someone with a History and Politics degree over a History degree? Both subjects merely develop our minds, rather than giving us some concrete practical knowledge applicable to future jobs (like medicine, veterinary science, engineering etc. would)

For reference I've applied to History at Bristol and History and Politics at Oxford, Durham, Sheffield, Exeter and LSE, so I'm in a similar boat to you.:smile: (Ox/LSE rejections, AAA Exeter, AAB Sheffield, sent to University College Durham, no Bristol news).

Congrats on offer by the way.:smile:
Reply 8
Wez, it seems quite common for people to apply to a mixture of History and History&Politics courses based on what I've seen on TSR. And there I was thinking that admissions tutors would think I'm a little deranged because of my Personal Statement! For the record, I applied to History&Politics at five universities and History at the final one.
Reply 9
Out of interest, how many A*s at gcse did you get? One of the girls at the History and Politics interviews got an LSE rejection, asked why and they told her for History and Politics she need 10A*s at gcse. If you're short-listed with fewer I'll know what she said was, er, 'less than truthful'.

I was going to apply for pure history at Oxford because the no. of applicants to places ratio is lower than for history and politics (about half that), but I figured that I'd have to emphasise History over Politics in my personal statement, which could reduce my chances of getting into other unis. Ah well.
Reply 10
I'm shortlisted with 10 A* but one of them is in a short course so, really, it's 9.5 A* (but that sounds a bit silly).
Reply 11
I got 9A*s and a big, fat rejection.

Shall I say the classic rejected student line of "I didn't want to go there anyway."? Nah...:wink:
Reply 12
I actually don't want to go there, whatever the outcome of my application, either but I do sort of hope for an offer all the same.
Reply 13
It was my 4th Choice after Oxford, Durham and Bristol. I wouldn't have minded going there, but I'm still hoping for a Bristol/Durham offer.
Reply 14
It was either my second or third choice and, actually, probably remains in that sort of position even now.
Reply 15
If you want to go to York, which you sound like you do, go to York.

I think employability afterwrds will be similar, and in the end what you end up doing is down to YOU...both degrees and unis will get you the interviews but you'll have to do the work to impress people that extra mile, and the name of your university wont get you there (unless its you know harvard etc.).
Reply 16
Arabellaweir - here's a link you might find interesting: http://www.epigram.org.uk/view.php?id=1110 From an employment point of view there's not a lot to choose between them, especially for history. Also, you are less likely to get the 2:1 plus you are presumably aiming for if you aren't happy, so go with your instincts...
Reply 17
Jerby
I'm not disagreeing with you, but out of interest, why do you think that?

Because Bristol and York are generally of a similar standard and I looked at both of them and somewhere on both sites I looked at employment statistics for History graduates and they were similar. York no longer has this information available on their website but I don't know about Bristol.

Latest

Trending

Trending