The Student Room Group

Confusion about DSA

I am starting university in September, I have a letter from my psychiatrist about my depression and anxiety disorder. I have been sent a form from the DSA which I can write things I've spent money on and claim back.

Few questions:

1)What sort of things can I claim back money for? I'm commuting, would I be able to claim back my petrol?
2) Will my university contact me directly about anything else e.g. extra time, flexible hand its etc. (seen these on a few other posts.)

Thank you to anyone who can offer advice :smile: x
Original post by hannahcullenn
I am starting university in September, I have a letter from my psychiatrist about my depression and anxiety disorder. I have been sent a form from the DSA which I can write things I've spent money on and claim back.

Few questions:

1)What sort of things can I claim back money for? I'm commuting, would I be able to claim back my petrol?
2) Will my university contact me directly about anything else e.g. extra time, flexible hand its etc. (seen these on a few other posts.)

Thank you to anyone who can offer advice :smile: x

It's more stuff you get given than cash itself, say you have to get a taxi to uni as your anxiety meant you couldn't walk, they would cover that but not a train itself as other students would need to get the train normally anyway.
You might be able to get a mentor and different software too:smile:
Your uni should contact you about exams and assignment adjustments such as having a separate room for exams. Have you had your needs assessment?
No I haven't yet! Is that once you have started! Thank you for helping!
Your DSA report will tell you the sorts of things you cna claim back money for.

With transport, it's the difference between taxis and public transport - because a non-disabled student will have to pay those costs too. Or in my case, I was awarded costs to have someone come with me. So, I paid my train fare and I claimed back theirs. (because if I wasn't disabled, I would have been perfectly capable of making the journey myself)
Original post by hannahcullenn
No I haven't yet! Is that once you have started! Thank you for helping!

dsa should send you a letter telling you to book one, i think
Ideally you want your assessment sooner rather than later. That way if you need any support at uni it can be put in place for when you start.
Reply 6
I just had my needs assessment for major depressive disorder with psychosis and this is what they said...

- If I pay the first £200, they will top up the rest to get me a laptop
- They will give me a printer, book scanner and printing allowance
- They will give me mind-mapping software to help me plan essays and help with references
- They will give me software that reads text aloud, as when I'm depressed I find it hard to read
- They will give me a dictaphone to record lectures, so I can have a record of the lecture in case I have an episode during one
- They will provide me with a certain amount of hours of training to help me set up the tech stuff
- They will pay for a study mentor to help keep me on track for 2 hours per week

This all needs to be approved by SFE but that's what my assessor recommended :smile:

Hope that helps you see what kind of stuff DSA might help with for mental health conditions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Oh and we talked about exam arrangements - he recommended what I had at A-level which was extra time, rest breaks and a quiet room :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RosieEPQ
Oh and we talked about exam arrangements - he recommended what I had at A-level which was extra time, rest breaks and a quiet room :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

With your quiet room, you may have other students in there with you. But it'll only be a few. I know that when I resat GCSE Science in year 13, they put me in with students who didn't have extra time. Because of this, I was still working when they were all leaving. That was very off putting.
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
With your quiet room, you may have other students in there with you. But it'll only be a few. I know that when I resat GCSE Science in year 13, they put me in with students who didn't have extra time. Because of this, I was still working when they were all leaving. That was very off putting.

Thank you - I had the same problem with my GCSEs! I needed a rest break and my extra time so I was only about 3/4 of the way through my English lit paper when the other two people left :/ still better than a big exam hall, for me at least :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest