The Student Room Group

Student Finance is Incredibly Frustrating!!

I feel like the whole organisation is so badly run.

I submitted my student finance ages ago, and was told months later that 'Sponsor 2 would need to provide financial evidence' and that the deadline for this was fast approaching.

Firstly, don't you just love how they refer to the mother always as 'Sponsor 2', despite in mine and many other cases, there being only one sponsor? :smile:

Anyway, I was aware that my mum needed to provide evidence of divorce, but I wasn't sure whether this statement was referring to this, or financial evidence, as the statement implies. After phoning, I was informed that my mum does not need to provide any evidence of her income as the figures she gave, matched the tax records. And so they were only requesting evidence of divorce.

So, a while back I sent evidence of her divorce and thought that was it, done and dusted until declaration signing. After checking my letter of entitlement today (having only received it through checking online, no email informing me of this, no letter in post) it appears that I have been non income assessed.

So I phoned, and was initially told it was because they were still processing my mums marital evidence. But then the advisor noticed that, my mum infact needs to provide further evidenced.

So I logged into my mums account, and there we have it, a request for p60!! No letter, or email informing us of this. On my mums homepage, it infact says no further evidence needed for 13/14, only when I entered the "correspondace" tab, did I see the letter asking for evidence of income.

Why the ****, couldn't they have asked this in the first place, when they asked for evidence of marital status? And why can't we be sent a simply email or letter? I feel like scratching my eyeballs out.

This is my 4th and final year of uni, and every year it's a massive ****ing stress. Literally, cannot cope, God knows how long this will take to process now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh god... I've had issues too.

Applied when it first opened and it was July before i heard from them asking for my mums evidence. Then a week later asking for my dads. Posted these off first class signed for and separate envelopes, in plenty of time. Received letters saying they hadn't received these, rang them up and they say they have??? So... why send us letters saying they haven't? Whilst all along my student finance account seemed to suggest all was great, even before they received my dads evidence it said they'd received both of theirs.

My loan and grants added up to £7500 to begin with, split equally pretty much. Now following this, it's £1500 less and only a £500 grant, the rest as a loan. They're still requesting evidence from my parents because apparently bank statements which show pension payments and a copy of my dads pension plan aren't enough. They want fancy letter headed proof from his pension provider that they've received these amounts now. They also want proof that my 21 year old sister with depression has been living at home for the past couple of years and is fully dependent on them.

It's less than a month before I move away to uni now and every letter they send seems to take a whole week to arrive after it shows on the correspondence tab.

I was hoping that after first year was done student finance wouldn't be such a pain in the ***... but apparently not according to your story. My friend however seems to be having a dream of a time! He's not been asked for any evidence for two years now.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I feel like the whole organisation is so badly run.

I would confirm that , they have even tried to mislead me .
Original post by Alison1993
Oh god... I've had issues too.

Applied when it first opened and it was July before i heard from them asking for my mums evidence. Then a week later asking for my dads. Posted these off first class signed for and separate envelopes, in plenty of time. Received letters saying they hadn't received these, rang them up and they say they have??? So... why send us letters saying they haven't? Whilst all along my student finance account seemed to suggest all was great, even before they received my dads evidence it said they'd received both of theirs.

My loan and grants added up to £7500 to begin with, split equally pretty much. Now following this, it's £1500 less and only a £500 grant, the rest as a loan. They're still requesting evidence from my parents because apparently bank statements which show pension payments and a copy of my dads pension plan aren't enough. They want fancy letter headed proof from his pension provider that they've received these amounts now. They also want proof that my 21 year old sister with depression has been living at home for the past couple of years and is fully dependent on them.

It's less than a month before I move away to uni now and every letter they send seems to take a whole week to arrive after it shows on the correspondence tab.

I was hoping that after first year was done student finance wouldn't be such a pain in the ***... but apparently not according to your story. My friend however seems to be having a dream of a time! He's not been asked for any evidence for two years now.

I don't understand why your dad's pension payments couldn't just be confirmed with the HMRC. Pension providers have to give a P60 and also send the information to the HMRC just like employers do. Are you sure he put the data for the correct tax year - 13/14 - on the application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending