The Student Room Group

Re-Applying: Better Results than Expected

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same position too! Reassuring to know there's someone else! Had a place for Anthropology at Durham but I haven't been sure about the course for 6/7 months now, got A*A*A with 99% in Engish A2, 95% in History A2 and 85% in Spanish A2 so I'm taking a year out to reapply for Business/IR/History based courses this year around. Do what you feel comfortable with!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoeDiTrapani
Nice, do you have anything planned for your year? I'm not entirely sure what I'd do

Original post by p.formanko
I'm in the same boat as you. Was predicted AAB and managed to get a place at Kings for geography with those predictions. Then on results day I too exceeded my predicted grades and now I'm going to apply to LSE / UCL after a gap year. Like you, I have no disrespect to kings and I'm happy they gave me an offer, but I ended up withdrawing my UCAS application for 2015 and I'm gonna start afresh next year :smile:

Have you both already withdrawn your applications? How did you go about doing it/was it straightforward? Planning on phoning Durham tomorrow.
Haven't gone through with it yet. Still uncertain as to what I want to do. I imagine it will be rather straught forward. I'm more interested in how to apply through UCAS individually
Original post by JoeDiTrapani
Nice, do you have anything planned for your year? I'm not entirely sure what I'd do

Unfortunately my gap year is quite average. I'm working at a school for three months and then travelling for 3-5 months. Hopefully I can get something exciting done during those times however!
Original post by scavi2008
Have you both already withdrawn your applications? How did you go about doing it/was it straightforward? Planning on phoning Durham tomorrow.

Withdrew mine the day results came out - I sent Kings a message through their portal saying that I was planning to withdraw. The better way to do it is to call UCAS directly and tell them exactly what you want - they'll ask some security questions etc but I got it all done in a 10 minute phone call. Good luck :smile:
Do you qualify for a maintenance grant? If so, I would recommend just sticking with Leeds - it's a very good uni, and with A*A*A you're highly likely to come out with a 2:1/ 1st so shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a great job afterwards. Delaying for a year would mean you'd be in the 2016 cohort without any maintenance grants, so financially will end up with a lot more debt just to go to a uni slightly further up in the league tables. Also, the higher ranking the uni the more competitive it will be to get decent results at the end of it - and a 2:1 from Leeds will put you in a better position for most graduate schemes than a 2:2 from Oxford...
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Do you qualify for a maintenance grant? If so, I would recommend just sticking with Leeds - it's a very good uni, and with A*A*A you're highly likely to come out with a 2:1/ 1st so shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a great job afterwards. Delaying for a year would mean you'd be in the 2016 cohort without any maintenance grants, so financially will end up with a lot more debt just to go to a uni slightly further up in the league tables. Also, the higher ranking the uni the more competitive it will be to get decent results at the end of it - and a 2:1 from Leeds will put you in a better position for most graduate schemes than a 2:2 from Oxford...

I get about £2,000 grant, £3,000 loan. But tbh, I'm not sure how much I'm going to have to pay back is influencing my decision to go to university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending