The Student Room Group

Retaking AS exams

Hi everybody,

I just received my AS level results and unfortunately they were below what I expected achieving an A in psychology, B in biology, C in English Lang/Lit and a D in Chemistry. Although, my grades aren't awful I am passionate about studying medicine at university which has minimum entry requirements of AAA and requires chemistry.

I want to retake both as chemistry modules as I got a C in the first exam and an E in the second exam. In biology I got a high B (4 UMS off an A) and a C on the second paper. Therefore, I would like to retake the second exam for Biology AS. I've identified my weaknesses from last year which include inefficient note-taking i.e spending too long creating my notes when revising which subsequently prevented me from revising everything in time for the exams.

My Question is: Would carrying out three exam retakes be too stressful and based on these grades does anyone think I could increase these grades to meet the medicine requirements.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by CBeynon
Hi everybody,

I just received my AS level results and unfortunately they were below what I expected achieving an A in psychology, B in biology, C in English Lang/Lit and a D in Chemistry. Although, my grades aren't awful I am passionate about studying medicine at university which has minimum entry requirements of AAA and requires chemistry.

I want to retake both as chemistry modules as I got a C in the first exam and an E in the second exam. In biology I got a high B (4 UMS off an A) and a C on the second paper. Therefore, I would like to retake the second exam for Biology AS. I've identified my weaknesses from last year which include inefficient note-taking i.e spending too long creating my notes when revising which subsequently prevented me from revising everything in time for the exams.

My Question is: Would carrying out three exam retakes be too stressful and based on these grades does anyone think I could increase these grades to meet the medicine requirements.

Thanks in advance!

No not too stressful at all, i am hoping to do 4 A2-levels and a whole A-level next year so i think you should be able to do so if i am. You need to. You need an A in chemistry to get to University for medicine so you really have no choice, It shouldn't be too hard either because you already spent a year learning it.
Well, everyone has different measures of stress. Do you think you'll be able to handle the increased difficulty of the subjects that you're doing at A2 AND also commit time to studying for 3 other units? If you are confident in that, go for it. If you really want to do medicine, retaking chem is a must.
When I did my A levels, which was the old spec so I was allowed to do exams in January. I did however retake all of my AS units in my A2 year. I had close to 12 exams in June. It's possible just needs a lot of time and commitment. I managed to get all of my grades up by at least one in each subject. Enough for me to get into uni!
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for the support! I'm going to retake chemistry and hopefully achieve an A so I can study medicine but like you have all said I just need to be committed and put a lot of time into my studies. I've already started and hopefully I'll do better this time

Quick Reply

Latest