The Student Room Group

Retaking the year Vs AS and A2s in the same year

I got DDEU and this was because I didnt revise because I had bad anxiety and I think I have depression (keep procrastinating to book an appointment). I cant go to the doctors for another 2/3 weeks but I have to decide what I want to do (dropping subjects or retaking etc) in like a week. I really wanted to do medicine and was aiming for AAA. However retaking a year would mean I wouldnt be able to apply to like most medical schools and it also means I wouldnt be able to take a gap year. I already knew I wasnt going to apply this year because my grades are atrocious. But I know doing AS and A2s will also be really hard and I'll have to pay loads for retakes. I didnt talk to anyone at school yet about this because on results day I just went into hiding. I am now trying to try and formulate some kind of plan. Help.
Hey. I feel for you, i was also aiming for AAA but I got a DUU instead, worse than you. I don't know where to go because my school kicked me out if I failed two subjects they said.

Worse, I actually studied for these subjects but I've started to have doubts if it was because of the operation I had where they took out my wisdom teeth along with anaesthesia. Maybe my performance lagged or I forgot my material because of it? I wanted to be a lawyer or an entrepreneur.I took government and politics,business studies and music if that helps?

Retaking as and a2 at the same time would be hard, the best option would be to just do AS, but that's up to you.

But my advice would be to Go back to your school, tell them about your results and talk to teachers of what you could do. How bad do you want it? Ask yourself. For finance,how about applying for a bursary? There's always a way around it.I plan to retake some of my subjects because when I spoke to my teachers when I asked what I should do, they said to go to open days, apply to another school and retake, but that school may not let you retake the same subjects if you failed them.

I know how hard it will be, because I studied HARD but failed to practise past papers of how I would and should answer it in the exam.i was panicking ,I was too pessimistic and lacked the belief in myself.also because I became depressed and was always full of anxiety like you, where I told no one about it.

Were you in year 12 ?(I am) if you're not, clearing is an option.if you are, you could still go to a medical school, you just have to take another route.who says you can't? Re take those desired subjects and then if you fail maybe Uni may not be for you (I hope you won't). If you do pass, take the gap year! No one should care if you go to uni late and don't take notice of them either, because there are people who are a lot older than you who go to uni later! It's not then end of the world. Doesn't matter if you go to Uni or medical school late as long as you get there..

I'm going through the same route as you, we just have to find the longer one to get there. After, when you go to the medical school after receiving those A levels, explain why you had to retake them, tell them your results, experiences then show them you're worth it and that you are unique and capable of getting in. Sell yourself and give a great impression.

I hope I helped and I hope you took time to read this because I still don't know what to do either.
I need help too, so I'm going to follow your thread because I'm really stuck with life now atm. :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
If you are planning to do medicine, consider retaking your AS again and waiting another year before applying to uni
Reply 3
Aaah having the same problem. Did my first round of AS in 2013 and got CCDU in 2014 due to lots of personal issues at home , which impacted my studying. I retook in September 2014 and have recently got AS results of BBD, which is an improvement but still kick myself over the D. I still really want to do medicine and have quite a bit of experience as I'm a HCA at a local hospital since I was 17.... not too sure what to do but finishing A levels and then applying in a gap year seems more likely ...
Don't do AS and A2 in the same year, it's a nightmare. I did it and it really badly affected my A2 exams, leaving me with C grades at the end, meaning I've narrowly missed my offer for uni. Had I resat the year, I'd have done much better (I wasn't allowed to because I had an A in my other AS).

So I'd advise you to retake the year, personally.
Reply 5
Original post by RoxieRofl
they took out my wisdom teeth

Yes! Everybody knows your intelligence and ability to do exams comes from your wisdom teeth. Bad move having them removed just before your exams. ( :wink: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by celloel
Yes! Everybody knows your intelligence and ability to do exams comes from your wisdom teeth. Bad move having them removed just before your exams.

Except for me. I knew something was wrong . So does that mean I shouldn't proceed with my other operations? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bluemadhatter
I got DDEU and this was because I didnt revise because I had bad anxiety and I think I have depression (keep procrastinating to book an appointment). I cant go to the doctors for another 2/3 weeks but I have to decide what I want to do (dropping subjects or retaking etc) in like a week. I really wanted to do medicine and was aiming for AAA. However retaking a year would mean I wouldnt be able to apply to like most medical schools and it also means I wouldnt be able to take a gap year. I already knew I wasnt going to apply this year because my grades are atrocious. But I know doing AS and A2s will also be really hard and I'll have to pay loads for retakes. I didnt talk to anyone at school yet about this because on results day I just went into hiding. I am now trying to try and formulate some kind of plan. Help.

I'm having this exact problem right now I came out with BDEU and I'm gutted I wanted to do law but won't get on to any course with these as grades! I'm personally retaking the year at college, I feel like my Sixthform puts a lot of pressure on to do too many subjects (4/5). But it's a personal choice. All I could say is most people I know who resit AS at the same time as A2 find it very stressful and it often has a negative impact on their overall grades. Good luck for what you decide to do
Original post by Rowe.olivia
I'm having this exact problem right now I came out with BDEU and I'm gutted I wanted to do law but won't get on to any course with these as grades! I'm personally retaking the year at college, I feel like my Sixthform puts a lot of pressure on to do too many subjects (4/5). But it's a personal choice. All I could say is most people I know who resit AS at the same time as A2 find it very stressful and it often has a negative impact on their overall grades. Good luck for what you decide to do

I'm in the same state as well and I wanted to do Law, is it too late to apply to college/sixth form because I got kicked out of my sixth form. They said that if you do Law, you'd have to go to a well know Uni such as Oxbridge/Russell groups. Am I correct?

Quick Reply

Latest