The Student Room Group

Accused of Theft..HELP?!

So i had an accident and the solicitors that helped me paid me a cheque, around a month later i received another cheque with the same amount and i was under the illusion that this was another payment for the accident. However now after 6 months i received a letter saying that they sent it by mistake and since i have deposited that money it is a theft etc. They now want the full amount in 7 days but i can t afford to give it back as obviously after 7 months the money is gone. Is there anything i can do? It s their fault for sending the cheque twice. Thank you for your help!
Reply 1
It was their mistake and you assumed that it was a second payment so you did not purposely steal the money. Do you know how many payments you were going to receive?

I think you should try and explain the situation to them. It's not fair if you're held liable for their mistake :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I know i was going to receive one payment but i received 2 and just thought i won more money in the case. Them telling me after 6 months is a problem because if they told me sooner i would have returned the cheque.. so shall i just contact them and fix a payment plan? or is there a way i don't pay at all??
Advise them that you believed the cheques formed part of your payment. Advise you can pay x amount a month over however long you need to pay it back.
Reply 4
Original post by ismileyoutilt
I know i was going to receive one payment but i received 2 and just thought i won more money in the case. Them telling me after 6 months is a problem because if they told me sooner i would have returned the cheque.. so shall i just contact them and fix a payment plan? or is there a way i don't pay at all??

You need to contact them and explain the situation, don't just leave it otherwise you'll get yourself into more trouble.

Tell them that you thought you had won extra money and that it was their mistake for sending a second payment. Explain that they have left it too long for the money to be returned and you would have done if they had contacted you sooner.

If they keep pressuring you for the money ask them what their policy is for accidental payments, it's their mistake not yours.

They may be able to set up a payment plan or ask you to pay less than the amount you received, but that shouldn't happen as it was their mistake.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending