The Student Room Group

my choices???

I will be starting A-Levels in 2016 and i am a bit worried now that they have introduced the linear exams again :frown:
I am thinking of going to King Edwards Camp Hill.
The choices I am leaning towards are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography; and i want to do an extra A-Level, a 'soft' one though. I am thinking of critical thinking... Is this suicide or are my choices reasonable? Are there better options for an extra A-Level and do I even need an extra one (I am aiming for one of the top universities for either engineering or economics)?
My predicted grades for GCSEs are all A*s btw
Reply 1
Original post by AishaRana
I will be starting A-Levels in 2016 and i am a bit worried now that they have introduced the linear exams again :frown:
The choices I am leaning towards are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography; and i want to do an extra A-Level, a 'soft' one though. I am thinking of critical thinking... Is this suicide or are my choices reasonable? Are there better options for an extra A-Level and do I even need an extra one (I am aiming for one of the top universities for either engineering or economics)?

Lol I applied there but decided I didn't want to go, it's going to be very strict js
And I think grammar schools generally make you do either general studies or critical thinking, well at least the one I decided to go to did. If you have the choice I'd go for GS as you have to do pretty much no revision for it, but for CT you might have to do essay practice, I'm not sure. Either way those subjects are fine for engineering, and you should maybe drop geography if you do go for that instead of economics at uni. It's not death, a lot of people do the classic sort of "hard" subjects and they're fine - I did similar, doing 3 sciences +maths and GS and came out fine. Don't worry about it, just do what you want and do the work you need to :smile:
Your choices are reasonable for someone of your ability, even if you decide to take all 4 to A2.

You don't need 5 but maybe do something like Accounting if you really want a 5th and that interests you.
Reply 3
Hi all,
Similar question,
I'm not sure about what AS levels to take. Well, what other one to take.
At the moment I am definitely taking: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History.
However, I have room for one more.
I have a choice between:
Economics, Biology, Physics, Music and Theology.
Help and guidance would be appreciated!
Original post by RonnieRJ
Lol I applied there but decided I didn't want to go, it's going to be very strict js
And I think grammar schools generally make you do either general studies or critical thinking, well at least the one I decided to go to did. If you have the choice I'd go for GS as you have to do pretty much no revision for it, but for CT you might have to do essay practice, I'm not sure. Either way those subjects are fine for engineering, and you should maybe drop geography if you do go for that instead of economics at uni. It's not death, a lot of people do the classic sort of "hard" subjects and they're fine - I did similar, doing 3 sciences +maths and GS and came out fine. Don't worry about it, just do what you want and do the work you need to :smile:

no... camp hill doesn't make you do general studies OR critical thinking because they're not a-levels at camp hill. this is because universities don't even count them as a-levels because they're pointless

If you go to camp hill, just to let you know they don't offer 'soft' a level choices because theyre pointless and disregarded by universities.
Also for camp hill you have to have 4 a levels and further maths is the only extra you can do (to have 5).
if you are aiming for a top university I suggest not doing a 'soft' a level subject as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Amy Hickman
no... camp hill doesn't make you do general studies OR critical thinking because they're not a-levels at camp hill. this is because universities don't even count them as a-levels because they're pointless

Lol did I say camp hill did tho? I said "most grammar schools do, at least the one I went to did"
And yes they are pointless but the op wants to do it lol if they want to do it why wouldn't they? Lol It's not like the subject is taught or anything they can just enter for examinations :u:

Two things I'd like to say- have you studied further maths or additional maths at GCSE level? The course is fast track and they will not slow down for your sake. If you have you'll ace maths the first year because a lot of it is repeated, but if not and you really want to study further maths do Additional Maths privately because FM is extremely difficult without that prior knowledge.And the second thing, critical thinking or general studies does not make a difference at all because neither are accepted by 90% of universities. It's better to take a subject which takes less work so i suggest general studies because you'll want to spend more time on your other subjects.Your subject choices are fine. :smile: There's an engineering scheme offered in the beginning of year 12- I recommend taking it.Good Luck!

Oh and for the record people are talking about everyone getting straight As without revision for General Studies and Critical thinking. Having studied at CHG I can tell you people that get the As revise and practice essay writing. And many people that don't do not get As. See the results for yourself. I got a D myself for the record. http://www.kechg.org.uk/?page_id=640
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bubbles.97
Two things I'd like to say- have you studied further maths or additional maths at GCSE level? The course is fast track and they will not slow down for your sake. If you have you'll ace maths the first year because a lot of it is repeated, but if not and you really want to study further maths do Additional Maths privately because FM is extremely difficult without that prior knowledge.And the second thing, critical thinking or general studies does not make a difference at all because neither are accepted by 90% of universities. It's better to take a subject which takes less work so i suggest general studies because you'll want to spend more time on your other subjects.Your subject choices are fine. :smile: There's an engineering scheme offered in the beginning of year 12- I recommend taking it.Good Luck!

Oh and for the record people are talking about everyone getting straight As without revision for General Studies and Critical thinking. Having studied at CHG I can tell you people that get the As revise and practice essay writing. And many people that don't do not get As. See the results for yourself. I got a D myself for the record. http://www.kechg.org.uk/?page_id=640

Yes, I have studied Further Maths and will definitely be choosing it :smile:) i dont think i will be choosing CT and will go for Economics instead, maybe swap phys with chem but thanks anyway!! Is the engineering scheme offered to most sixth forms???
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
If you go to camp hill, just to let you know they don't offer 'soft' a level choices because theyre pointless and disregarded by universities.
Also for camp hill you have to have 4 a levels and further maths is the only extra you can do (to have 5).
if you are aiming for a top university I suggest not doing a 'soft' a level subject as well.

Thanks!! I think I am just going to switch CT with Economics
Reply 10
Original post by SeanFM
Your choices are reasonable for someone of your ability, even if you decide to take all 4 to A2.

You don't need 5 but maybe do something like Accounting if you really want a 5th and that interests you.

I planned so but the places i am aiming for don't offer Accounting as an a-level, not yet anyway...
Reply 11

You're right. My sister went to Camp Hill and she said they had to do GS in AS at least and that was compulsory but that was 2 years ago..
You're right. My sister went to Camp Hill and she said they had to do GS in AS at least and that was compulsory but that was 2 years ago..

Lol there we go, and I was applying over a year ago too, around 1.5 years ago :smile: @Amy Hickman
Sorry, I wasn't clear about this but the choice is only between CT and GS only (except some places like Sutton girls that offer Global Perspectives). The whole year has one lesson a week allocated towards one or the other. You can't replace it for another subject. Timetable wise you don't have the time. At CHG you only do these courses at AS, then you have a choice of an EPQ (it's UCAS points are accepted by unis so shifts weight a bit) or you can do volunteering or sports. The Chemistry and Physics department are both brilliant, but it depends what you want to do at Uni and what their entry requirements in terms of A Level subject preferences are.

And I have no idea about the engineering scheme being offered elsewhere, but there will be different opportunities elsewhere.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Do you go there ?

When I went there (quite a while back, given) you had to do either GS or CI on top of your 4 A level choices.

How things change....

No. Just no.
General studies was compulsory at my old 6th form so i had no choice, but let me tell you, its the most pointless, stupid waste of space you could ever do.
The head 6th form told us all that general studies was amazing, how unis would be falling at your feet desperate to offer you a place just because you where doing it. In fact, the opposite was true. When it came to applying to unis, many people found that many unis didnt even accept it. And the ones that did accept it wherent overly keen on it. And in general, the subject was just a load of s**t.
Original post by Emma:-)
No. Just no.
General studies was compulsory at my old 6th form so i had no choice, but let me tell you, its the most pointless, stupid waste of space you could ever do.
The head 6th form told us all that general studies was amazing, how unis would be falling at your feet desperate to offer you a place just because you where doing it. In fact, the opposite was true. When it came to applying to unis, many people found that many unis didnt even accept it. And the ones that did accept it wherent overly keen on it. And in general, the subject was just a load of s**t.

Lmao I hope you realise I also did General Studies? And got an A.. With no revision whatsoever? So why not do it? Bear in mind people may be applying to unis that consider tariff points rather than grades, and that boosts their application

Quick Reply

Latest