The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Medicine Applicants 2016

Hey there folks! This thread is for all of you interested in apply to study medicine at the University of Cambridge for 2016 entry. Feel free to discuss GCSEs, AS results, BMAT, interviews, and any medical stuff you've been doing, as well as Cambridge itself.

Course description and entry requirements

Last year's thread

BMAT Megathread

Duskstar's Stalking Page

Good luck all!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sigh...and so it begins
Reply 2
Original post by fizzers
Sigh...and so it begins

You going to apply then? :tongue:
Reply 3
Hey guys! :smile: I was the OP of the 2015 thread and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the whole application experience.
Wow it was around this time last year when I set up the 2015 thread. Time surely does fly by.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by a123a
Hey guys! :smile: I was the OP of the 2015 thread and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the whole application experience.
Wow it was around this time last year when I set up the 2015 thread. Time surely does fly by.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Did you meet your offer? I seem to remember you had an open application? :curious:
Reply 5
Original post by Anti-Dirac
Thanks a lot! Did you meet your offer? I seem to remember you had an open application? :curious:

Yes I did meet my offer. I had an open offer not an open application. :tongue:
An open offer is like any other offer from Cambridge but the college that you'll be at won't be decided until after A level results day. They're quite rare; if I remember correctly 6 medicine open offers were made for 2015 entry and 5 for the year before that. And these are only for Vet Meds and Meds. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by a123a
Yes I did meet my offer. I had an open offer not an open application. :tongue:
An open offer is like any other offer from Cambridge but the college that you'll be at wont be decided until after A level results day. There quite rare; if I remember correctly 6 medicine open offers were made for 2015 entry and 5 for the year before that. And these are only for Vet Meds and Meds. :smile:

Right, cool! I guess you were pooled the open offer then?
Do you know what college you're going to yet? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Anti-Dirac
Right, cool! I guess you were pooled the open offer then?
Do you know what college you're going to yet? :smile:

Yes! My college is Selwyn!
Reply 8
I will be applying to Cambridge medicine for 2016 entry!

Still undecided on a college though
Reply 9
Original post by Questioner1234
Do all colleges use best three UMS or most relevant UMS?

Not sure whether all colleges do this, but I read somewhere that the most relevant subjects include Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics. If you got higher UMS in Maths, Physics and Biology but lower in Chemistry then your most relevant 3 would still be Maths, Physics, Biology. Of course if one of the subjects is something like English then it is not a relevant subject, and the UMS of your 4th subject will always be looked at anyway.
Reply 10
So if I got really high in physics chemistry and maths but low In biology which would be used?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I understand it, the Physics/Chem/Maths would be the most relevant 3. Obviously your Biology score would still be looked at though. I think it's less a focus on a certain type of average UMS and more a case of looking at the whole UMS profile holistically.
Reply 11
Do all colleges use best three UMS or most relevant UMS?

The colleges don't USE either really. They are able to see your best 3, best 4 and science UMS.

If you do Maths Physics Chemistry Biology, your best 3 is also your science UMS. The college will be able to see individual subject scores however, so you can't hide a poorer 4th score behind an excellent top 3
So what did you guys get for your AS UMS?
UKCAT score? (for people who have already done it)
Have you started prepping for BMAT already?
Reply 13
Original post by nucleus101

For AS UMS, join the stalking page! :tongue: I'll link it in the OP as well http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3508575

99.2% SUMS and 98.8% overall
I got 765 in the UKCAT and no, haven't started prepping for BMAT just yet. How bout you?
(edited 8 years ago)
I havent done my UKCAT yet - my school gave us a booklet to start prepping BMAT last term but I think that was premature
Reply 15

99.11% SUMS 97.89% overall
835 UKCAT
I looked at one paper for BMAT just after my AS exams and haven't looked at it since

What about you?
Reply 16
I havent done my UKCAT yet - my school gave us a booklet to start prepping BMAT last term but I think that was premature

Yeah same here, I didn't want to start prepping for BMAT until after UKCAT because otherwise I'd get the question style mixed up :rolleyes:
Best three: 98.7%, most relevant: 94.0%. Is it worth applying if they look at most relevant?

Yeah.
I got a 93% ums average for my three most relevant,do you guys think there is any point in applying?
I am from a state school and did do 5AS levels,will they take this into account when considering my relatively low (93%) ums

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending