The Student Room Group

Any thoughts on me applying to be a special constable when starting teacher training?

I am considering applying to be a special constable but I am starting teacher training in a few weeks. Do people think this is stupid of me? really dont know what to do
Only start a pgce if you believe you can finish it. It could affect your funding opportunities if you want to get back onto another pgce at a later date.

Guess you could either finish the pgce and then explore other options or if you're not feeling the whole pgce thing for now then give it a miss for now. Dunno though, are you interested in other things if the special constable application falls through?
Original post by trifleontoast
I am considering applying to be a special constable but I am starting teacher training in a few weeks. Do people think this is stupid of me? really dont know what to do

You really won't have time.
Go for it.
Original post by Mr M
You really won't have time.

See I feel that this will be the case. Although they want students from college and uni they are actively seeking students. The minimum you can do when you become a trained special constable is 16 hours a month. I feel that could be do able maybe?

Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Only start a pgce if you believe you can finish it. It could affect your funding opportunities if you want to get back onto another pgce at a later date.

Guess you could either finish the pgce and then explore other options or if you're not feeling the whole pgce thing for now then give it a miss for now. Dunno though, are you interested in other things if the special constable application falls through?

Its actually a scitt training programme, Its not that I dont want to teach I just think it would be a good opportunity, they train around other commitments as you are only a volunteer. By the time I finish next year the recruitment will not be open. Its just to feel like i am going good and making a difference and have a purpose as I sometimes feel low
I don't think taking on an excessive amount of responsibilities is a way to combat feeling low. You'll be really busy with scitt.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I don't think taking on an excessive amount of responsibilities is a way to combat feeling low. You'll be really busy with scitt.

Yeah course, I dont know. It isnt just for that reason I would really like to do it and experience it and maybe then it gives me options for the future. I wont have a job and I think I would enjoy it, the timing is just awful
Original post by stormblazer999
This may sound a bit "unprofessional" and "stupid" of me, but I have to say Mr M, you are a fairly unhelpful and stubborn man. Do you realise this?

I'm not trying to cause a quarrel - I'm just stating something that I think a lot of people on this forum realise....right?

...right?

No, I think Mr M just speaks the truth! He has a wealth of experience and people would do well to take his advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
No, I think Mr M just speaks the truth! He has a wealth of experience and people would do well to take his advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually got told off from TSR for "patronising the members of TSR". Haha. As I said, I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just stating something to see if he would agree or not.

But you're right, Mr M is a very bright and an "omnipotent man of knowledge". He also posts the mark schemes for most maths exams and I appreciate him for that. I apologise, sir!
Original post by stormblazer999
I actually got told off from TSR for "patronising the members of TSR". Haha. As I said, I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just stating something to see if he would agree or not.

But you're right, Mr M is a very bright and an "omnipotent man of knowledge". He also posts the mark schemes for most maths exams and I appreciate him for that. I apologise, sir!

No worries.
I think if you need to do something else to feel like you are "doing good" and "making a difference" in addition to teaching, then maybe you should have a think about why you are doing teaching. Yes, when you get more experience, you will have more spare time, but for the first few years you probably won´t and if you don´t feel you are doing good whilst doing the job, maybe it would be better to do something else?

And, as has been echoed many a time, listen to Mr M, he speaks the truth.
Original post by bownessie
I think if you need to do something else to feel like you are "doing good" and "making a difference" in addition to teaching, then maybe you should have a think about why you are doing teaching. Yes, when you get more experience, you will have more spare time, but for the first few years you probably won´t and if you don´t feel you are doing good whilst doing the job, maybe it would be better to do something else?

And, as has been echoed many a time, listen to Mr M, he speaks the truth.

Yeah I get that, however it is only volunteering. You can train at your own leisure to an extent and this can be at weekends and evenings. It is something I am struggling with but I haven't even applied. Teaching is what I want to do but I think it would be nice to learn new skills and help people the community in a way I can. I wish I'd done this year's ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending