The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

French and history, or modern european studies?

I got a letter in the post this morning saying im no longer being considered for the French and History degree but theyd like to offer me Modern European Studies instead. If i did this, i could do the strand with history, french and ab initio russian. The course requirements are BBB-BBC.

Does anybody do this course, or help shed any light on it?
Reply 1
BeckySparrow
I got a letter in the post this morning saying im no longer being considered for the French and History degree but theyd like to offer me Modern European Studies instead. If i did this, i could do the strand with history, french and ab initio russian. The course requirements are BBB-BBC.

Does anybody do this course, or help shed any light on it?

I don't take it myself (I do German & History) but I have a couple of friends who do MES and are in some of my lectures - they seem to enjoy it, though I have heard one or two complaints about inter-departmental co-operation not always being up to scratch - timetable clashes and so on. But they did manage to sort it out; just be aware there may be days in Week 1 that involve a lot of walking from one department to another collecting signatures and forms!
Also, might seem obvious, but you'll have 3 lots of textbooks to buy rather than 2 for Joint Hons with History. That's about all I can think of - if you're happy with the MES course and would enjoy learning Russian then it sounds good, and Nottingham is a superb place to study it. If you'd rather stick with French and History then maybe you could consider your options for other universities.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
thanks. also, someone i know at notts keeps calling MES a mickey mouse degree so i feel stupid...he also said that the MES students get separated from the normal language students a lot, he thinks they dumb it down for them?

I think im going to go for it though.
Reply 3
BeckySparrow
thanks. also, someone i know at notts keeps calling MES a mickey mouse degree so i feel stupid...he also said that the MES students get separated from the normal language students a lot, he thinks they dumb it down for them?

I think im going to go for it though.

They don't dumb it down and I don't know what he means about them being separated - you'll take 3 core modules per semester in French, Russian and History and then an option from each subject - which means you'll be in the same lectures and classes as any other student taking that module, whether they're doing straight french or whether they're doing biochemistry and wanted to pick up a random subsiduary module! The teaching of each module will be the same no matter what course you're taking the module as a part of.

If you want to go for it, by all means do! Best of luck and I hope you get the offer!
Reply 4
he said that the core modules he does in german he does on a friday - but the MES students doing german do the same module on a thursday not a friday? he said he thought it gets dumbed down but i was assuming it was just due to timetabling.
It may be due to timetabling, but I very much doubt that if it's the same module it is dumbed down. However, I can sort of see where he's coming from: if you start taking the same subjects but fewer modules in them, you're obviously not going to learn as fast. But then again, you just take module commensurate to your current ability...
Reply 6
BeckySparrow
he said that the core modules he does in german he does on a friday - but the MES students doing german do the same module on a thursday not a friday? he said he thought it gets dumbed down but i was assuming it was just due to timetabling.

Timetabling completely. German Language I & II are taught in small classes (around 8-10) with Grammar, Translation/Summary and 'Lektorin' classes - these classes happen at different times for different groups, but it's to do with which slots you sign up for not what degree you do. If all the MES ones are in one particular class it might be because they all have a history or French/Russian/whatever lecture that clashes with the other slot(s).
Reply 7
The idea that MES is dumbed down is crazy - if anything it is harder, because you need to prove yourself in 3 different subjects..! Especially if you do 2 languages within the combination which obviously don't overlap at all! You are taught and marked in exactly the same way as a Single Honours student for each different department.

The only big negative about MES is comms between departments (=none) and the fact that you don't often see the same people in classes since you do such random modules.

It's better than F+H in my opinion because in 2nd and 3rd year (after compulsory History modules are done with) you have far more selection in modules and I think you get your first choices more often.
Reply 8
thanks for all the help guys, ive told them id like to be considered for the course so i should get my grades through anytime now. i also think ill probably put it down as my firm choice because it sounds like a good challege and russian definitely intrigues me :smile: thanks for all the advice on the course, i know its not a mickey mouse course but i just wanted some opinions to back me up when defending myself!

Latest

Trending

Trending