The Student Room Group

Do you donate to charity/give to beggars?

As the title suggests-I would like to do more for charity but sadly my budget doesn't extend to each and every one-for example, charity appeals asking for £5 a month but how is that £5 spent? I'd rather do volunteering at a charity shop or even somewhere in Africa to do my bit-whilst as for animal charities it's a given I'd treat my pets well but if I saw an animal being mistreated I'd report it etc-

As far as beggars go largely I don't give money. If I was going to donate something it'd be food or blankets or something because they could be using that money to buy alcohol or drugs.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

As much as I say DBI to people, I really do give to beggars. I feel bad otherwise :erm:
Often I'll give it to buskers (which I know isn't the same) especially as there some really good ones in London. I agree with you I would rather do charity work (which I'm in the process of signing up to) this website is good if you're looking for places to volunteer https://do-it.org/

However I'm more dubious in giving money, especially the £x pm ones as I don't know where the money is going plus I feel charity should start locally.
If I happen to have change, I'll give
I occasionally donate to charity but I don't give money to homeless people.
Charity-yes
Beggars-no
As I still depend on my parents for money, I neither donate nor give.
I donate £10/15 when I can to a different charity each time, or emergency appeals :yep:
cold motha****ers on this page loool, no humanity
I can't really afford to be signing up for any monthly donations, but I'd happily give one-off donations, particularly when crises like earthquakes happen that destroy thousands of lives. I also often put small change into those charity boxes you get at some shop counters, and I'll sometimes donate to volunteers that I see holding such tins.

I don't give to beggars as I've heard it's bad practise to do so, kinda like the reasons OP has given, plus I pass so many beggars everyday on the street that I wouldn't have enough for all of them anyway. However, I do regularly volunteer for a charity that helps homeless people. I've also done various volunteering roles for loads of different charities in the past :smile:
Neither charity nor beggars. I give cigarettes to beggars though.
I've donated few times to some charities but never give to beggars because I don't want my hard earned money to go on drugs/alcohol which would not make them feel better in any way.
I donate to some charities, but they're conservation ones rather than poverty/homelessness related ones. I check the charity commission website to see how money is spent and I'm happy that most of my money goes to the cause, and only a little is spent on administration costs and stuff like that.

Never seen a beggar before (not that I can remember), but I'd be wary of giving money because unfortunately, some people can and do fake that stuff. You can't really tell who's genuinely in need and who's just faking it to scam people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Danny the Geezer

As far as beggars go largely I don't give money. If I was going to donate something it'd be food or blankets or something because they could be using that money to buy alcohol or drugs.

Thoughts?

Yeah I think giving food and blankets is better use of money. From my recent experience, a beggar came up to me asking for money and I literally had no money. (Spent it on frozen chicken for family). And then I felt so baad, so he went off and as he did I was checking for spare change in the bottom of my bag. I saw him go off to someone else,they gave him money, then I saw him run to the betting shop. It kinda annoyed me, but I really hope he won... so he can't beg for other peoples money anymore (and waste other peoples money)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I donate monthly to an animal charity because I care about animals more than people. I'm reluctant to give money to beggars - not because they might spend it on booze or drugs, whatever helps them "cope" is fine by me - but because I know a lot in my home town actually have homes and just do it for the money/fags/free **** people give them.
Original post by RFowler
I donate to some charities, but they're conservation ones rather than poverty/homelessness related ones. I check the charity commission website to see how money is spent and I'm happy that most of my money goes to the cause, and only a little is spent on administration costs and stuff like that.

Never seen a beggar before (not that I can remember), but I'd be wary of giving money because unfortunately, some people can and do fake that stuff. You can't really tell who's genuinely in need and who's just faking it to scam people.

Never give to Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth!!!!!

You've never seen a beggar? Where do you live?!
Every so often I will ask a homeless person if I can buy them a sandwich or something, I prefer doing this rather than giving them money.
The problem with those beggars is that some of them would spend the amount you give them on drugs or cigarettes.
Original post by redferry
Never give to Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth!!!!!

You've never seen a beggar? Where do you live?!

The two main charities I donate to regularly are the Red Squirrel Survival Trust, and a Scottish charity called Trees for Life who are restoring parts of native pine forest. I've never donated to Greenpeace or FoE.

I live in a village in North Yorkshire. I don't go into large cities very often.
Original post by German123
The problem with those beggars is that some of them would spend the amount you give them on drugs or cigarettes.

What, as opposed to saving up all the 20ps for a deposit on a flat that all the "good" homeless people do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending