The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford University Foundation clinical science/medicine applicants & chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SchoolKid.
Yes, he is allowed to apply through UCAS but will have to use his college/sixth form to provide a reference. However, if he does have any offers from his UCAS application he will not be allowed to apply for the transfer to Leeds Medical School.

I knew several people who did this last year when I was in the foundation year. Some got offers so did not need to apply for Leeds however, some failed to get any offers and applied for the transfer. My advice would be for your son to keep it quiet that you have a UCAS application going but its definitely a good shot considering the grades.

Hi, we have been told this year by Dr Beedham that the rules around this have changed. From this year onwards you can still apply for the Leeds transfer if you are holding other offers on UCAS.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by MMcG2015
Hi, we have been told this year by Dr Beedham that the rules around this have changed. From this year onwards you can still apply for the Leeds transfer if you are holding other offers on UCAS.

I did not know about this. This would be ideal for students who apply through UCAS.*
I've posted this before, but hey ho, I achieved BBC instead of the BBB needed to study clinical sciences (w/o foundation) should I apply for the foundation clinical science course, which requires BCC? Also any advice as to what to cover to prepare for this course, as I have kept my entire notes for bio and chem just in case.

For my personal statement, should I write it for a medicine degree ?
Original post by NatsP29
I've posted this before, but hey ho, I achieved BBC instead of the BBB needed to study clinical sciences (w/o foundation) should I apply for the foundation clinical science course, which requires BCC? Also any advice as to what to cover to prepare for this course, as I have kept my entire notes for bio and chem just in case.

For my personal statement, should I write it for a medicine degree ?

Hi, I am not sure if they would accept you with those grades considering the entry requirements are BBB. However, something you need to consider is that even if you do enter Clinical Science first year you will be unable to transfer as you must complete the foundation year. I would recommend you apply for the foundation year.

To prepare for this course I would recommend just reading over your Chemistry notes (mainly A2) and thats all. A-level Biology will be unrelated to this course. Having said this, i would only recommend doing this if your taking a gap year just to keep sharp otherwise there really is no need.

Yes, write your personal statement for medicine. If you need anything else just ask :smile:
Brilliant. Will definitely apply to the foundation course then!! Thanks for all the help!!

It doesn't say anything on their website about changing the rule about that you can still be eligible for transfer while holding offers .
Original post by NatsP29
Brilliant. Will definitely apply to the foundation course then!! Thanks for all the help!!

No problem. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Original post by S1966
It doesn't say anything on their website about changing the rule about that you can still be eligible for transfer while holding offers .

Must not have been updated yet. We were told this by Dr. Beedham, who is the course director
Hey guys,

I have just received an invitation for an interview on November 9th for the foundation year, any advice?
I'm 17 atm and predicted BBC
(hoping to study medicine btw)

thank youu

:h:
Must not have been updated yet. We were told this by Dr. Beedham, who is the course director

Hi just wanted to know the director of the courses is D Quirke isn't it or has she left or has she changed her name to Beedham .Just want to know because my son was told my D Quirke that they will let him on the courses entry 2017 if he is not successful after applying to medical school during gap year,he had a place on foundation clinical science but after having chat with D Quirke he declined it because some universites were confused as this was a normal degree and not just foundation so were not going to consider his application.So D Quirke said if is not successful to come back to Bradford without an interview.but he ask to put Bradford on UCAS as fifth choice .
No, Christine Beedham is the director of the course. Dr. Debbie Quirke is an admissions tutor. It has changed recently about the rules regarding the Leeds transfer and other offers. We only found out a couple of weeks ago ourselves so the change has been very recent.
No, Christine Beedham is the director of the course. Dr. Debbie Quirke is an admissions tutor. It has changed recently about the rules regarding the Leeds transfer and other offers. We only found out a couple of weeks ago ourselves so the change has been very recent.

Thank you for the information

Can you give any updates on the rules regarding Leeds transfers?
Original post by S1966

It has changed this year. I'm in the foundation year and we were told it's possible to hold offers and apply to Leeds but if you accept another offer you cannot. Feel free to pm any questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also if anyone pm me my messages stopped working so if you post on main thread I'll answer questions and people wanting to know same question can read it too :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a little confused. Can you still hold pffers during foundation year?? :/
Original post by NatsP29
I'm a little confused. Can you still hold pffers during foundation year?? :/

I'm reading the document I got in my first week and summed up it says "some students transfer to external courses such as medicine. You need to provide a college reference for October 15th typical deadline. If you hold an offer for external course when applications submitted to Leeds please talk to us about it as it may jeopardise both applications and delay student finance" so you can apply but you need to talk to them about it and it may cause problems but you should discuss with personal tutors. A few of my friends have applied externally but I can't tell you what happens till next year I'm afraid. So yeah it is possible but inadvisable basically. Sorry can't be more help.
Original post by badhand45
I'm reading the document I got in my first week and summed up it says "some students transfer to external courses such as medicine. You need to provide a college reference for October 15th typical deadline. If you hold an offer for external course when applications submitted to Leeds please talk to us about it as it may jeopardise both applications and delay student finance" so you can apply but you need to talk to them about it and it may cause problems but you should discuss with personal tutors. A few of my friends have applied externally but I can't tell you what happens till next year I'm afraid. So yeah it is possible but inadvisable basically. Sorry can't be more help.

So basically you may be at a disadvantage if you apply externally but why is the rule about that you can hold offers externally and be considered for Leeds transfer.last year the rule was you can apply but if you held any offers you would have not be considered for transfer.Yes they do want to know you are applying externally and they can't give you reference because they have not known you well.
Original post by S1966
So basically you may be at a disadvantage if you apply externally but why is the rule about that you can hold offers externally and be considered for Leeds transfer.last year the rule was you can apply but if you held any offers you would have not be considered for transfer.Yes they do want to know you are applying externally and they can't give you reference because they have not known you well.

I don't know it was changed we were told but weren't told why
So the plan would be really to just apply to the foundattion programme, get in , achieve 70%+ during the first year and apply for transfer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending