The Student Room Group

Vet med application help!

Hey

I didn't think I would get the grades this year to apply but I have done!
Do you think my work experience profile is enough or is it not even worth applying this year??

4 weeks small vets
1 week at a rescue farm and equine sanctuary
1 week another small vets
1 day Abattoir
Lambing 2 week
1 week large animal vets

I also work at an equine rehab centre and have had horses for 10+ years and have worked on stud/event yards
I also do charity in the form of home-checks/transport for a local animal rescue

Is this good enough??? I'm in two minds!
Original post by lucywoss
Hey

I didn't think I would get the grades this year to apply but I have done!
Do you think my work experience profile is enough or is it not even worth applying this year??

4 weeks small vets
1 week at a rescue farm and equine sanctuary
1 week another small vets
1 day Abattoir
Lambing 2 week
1 week large animal vets

I also work at an equine rehab centre and have had horses for 10+ years and have worked on stud/event yards
I also do charity in the form of home-checks/transport for a local animal rescue

Is this good enough??? I'm in two minds!

I think Nottingham take a few students with lower grades (BBC) to widen access to people outside the independent school sector.
Reply 2
you haven't read my post correctly.
Original post by lucywoss
you haven't read my post correctly.

You are correct. Cool pic.
Reply 4
not sure you have liverpools requirements but have a look :smile:
it depends on what you mean by you have got the grades.....
and AS or A2?
Congrats on getting the grades you needed, awesome stuff :biggrin:

As for your work experience, while you haven't got as much as other people will have (caring for your own horses won't count unfortunately), you've got good variety and have covered pretty much everything (some cat/dog husbandry work wouldn't go amiss if you can get some quickly!) and have a good mix of placements. The day at an abattoir is something reasonably few people manage to do as well so that will definitely help. I would steer clear of Liverpool but other than that I think you'd stand a good chance! I've seen people get in with less, it's just a case of being wise about where you apply.

I say go for it, even if you don't get in (and there's so reason to think that will happen!) you'll have gained first hand experience with the application process and will do better next time :smile:

Best of luck!

Quick Reply