The Student Room Group

Returning to uni for postgrad - funding help!

Hi everyone! So I took the plunge and decided to apply for a journalism masters, not expecting to get in, but I amazingly did! So I'm now on the fence about accepting my offer, and I was hoping someone could offer me a little advice!

Basically, as a Scottish student, I'm eligible to saas paying about half of my course, which is fantastic, and I'm also eligible for about a £4,500 loan, again fantastic. However, the reason I'm swithering is because the course is literally a Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 sort of situation, which doesn't really leave me with much chance to work while focussing on my studies. I can't afford to live in Edinburgh, and not work as much as possible, so can anyone offer any advice? Do you think I should go for it, and deal with the situation, or should I defer my course for the year, and save up as much as I can for next September, and save myself the stress of stretched finances and an intensive course?

Any help really appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clairet16
Hi everyone! So I took the plunge and decided to apply for a journalism masters, not expecting to get in, but I amazingly did! So I'm now on the fence about accepting my offer, and I was hoping someone could offer me a little advice!

Basically, as a Scottish student, I'm eligible to saas paying about half of my course, which is fantastic, and I'm also eligible for about a £4,500 loan, again fantastic. However, the reason I'm swithering is because the course is literally a Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 sort of situation, which doesn't really leave me with much chance to work while focussing on my studies. I can't afford to live in Edinburgh, and not work as much as possible, so can anyone offer any advice? Do you think I should go for it, and deal with the situation, or should I defer my course for the year, and save up as much as I can for next September, and save myself the stress of stretched finances and an intensive course?

Any help really appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no help to give in any way other than to say that this is my word of the week, and I'm adopting it into my vocabulary immediately.
Reply 2
Carnationlilyrose - very happy to help you there; its a fantastic word!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clairet16
Carnationlilyrose - very happy to help you there; its a fantastic word!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It most certainly is and I thank you for it. It's going alongside stoatin. (?spelling?) FWIW my son lives in Edinburgh and did his MA there as an English student without a job, existing on savings. I know he lived hand to mouth and still does, but it's not prohibitively expensive. Of course, I know nothing of your circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending