The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering or chemistry?

Hi, i've recently got my AS results and am now trying to decide whether to pursue a degree in Chemical engineering or Chemistry. I got an A in Chem, A in Economics, B in Maths and B in Drama. Im planning on dropping Economics and hopefully retaking some exams to get Maths and Drama up to an A. I really enjoy Chemistry but can find Maths difficult at times, therefore making me question whether or not i'd be good enough for Chemical Engineering. I just wanted to ask you guys on any advice you may have and if you could explain Chem Eng to me a little more from your first hand experiences? Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Kesington
Hi, i've recently got my AS results and am now trying to decide whether to pursue a degree in Chemical engineering or Chemistry. I got an A in Chem, A in Economics, B in Maths and B in Drama. Im planning on dropping Economics and hopefully retaking some exams to get Maths and Drama up to an A. I really enjoy Chemistry but can find Maths difficult at times, therefore making me question whether or not i'd be good enough for Chemical Engineering. I just wanted to ask you guys on any advice you may have and if you could explain Chem Eng to me a little more from your first hand experiences? Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chem eng is mainly physics and maths with little chemistry. Although they share similar names, chemistry and chem eng are very different degrees which lead to very different careers.
ChemEng is mostly Maths with physics.
ChemEng has a good graduate salary..
(I'm thinking of ChemEng also)
Reply 3
I realise it's mostly maths and physics, but won't most of the stuff I haven't learnt eg physics, be covered in the first year, and yeah the salary is appealing, thats what puts me off chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Kesington
I realise it's mostly maths and physics, but won't most of the stuff I haven't learnt eg physics, be covered in the first year, and yeah the salary is appealing, thats what puts me off chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you'd be fine on that front but my point is don't go into the course with the expectation of learning a fair bit of chemistry. If you're comfortable with maths and physics then go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending