Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jobs with a criminology degree?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What jobs are available to go into once i have completed a criminology degree?

Also, i have been trying to look into the police force but i can only find information on constables.

Thanks, ems x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/online_...riminology.pdf

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/For_parents/Choosing_a_course_at_university/Subjects_to_study/Your_degree_in_criminology/Job_options/p!ecdebee
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)

Also, i have been trying to look into the police force but i can only find information on constables.

Thanks, ems x
    I think with the police there are no opportunities to enter at a higher level. You can get put on a graduate fast track scheme to get experience and promotion quicker but you have to begin as a constable. Im sure I read that if you are on the grad scheme you only have to do one year as a constable though...most other people have to do 2 years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomdav)
    I think with the police there are no opportunities to enter at a higher level. You can get put on a graduate fast track scheme to get experience and promotion quicker but you have to begin as a constable. Im sure I read that if you are on the grad scheme you only have to do one year as a constable though...most other people have to do 2 years.
    Yeah i've read that too about not being able to enter at a higher level. Surely you'd think there would be some jobs in the police that a criminology degree is useful for ... The MI5 thinks so. :cool: I guess it's mainly forensics?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)
    You can be a copper. Or you can do a PhD and struggle for an academic position.
    Some do the PGCE and become school teachers.

(Original post by Emsy)
    i have been trying to look into the police force but i can only find information on constables.
    That is the entry point.

(Original post by Emsy)
    Surely you'd think there would be some jobs in the police that a criminology degree is useful for ..
    The MI5 thinks so. :cool:
    The police have far too many criminology graduates applying, since they are sort of the default option for criminology students.
    To realistically do anything at a higher level, you would need either forensic science qualifications (Masters/Phd)
    or management qualifications (MBA ) and a track record.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could go and take the CPE (common practise exam) its designed for non law students and then you cold go on to take the LPC or the BVC exams to become either a solicitor or a barrister! I'm thinking of dropping out of the LLB law and studying Criminology and English or Crim and Law, Is crim intresting?? xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawyerPrincess)
    You could go and take the CPE (common practise exam) its designed for non law students and then you cold go on to take the LPC or the BVC exams to become either a solicitor or a barrister! I'm thinking of dropping out of the LLB law and studying Criminology and English or Crim and Law, Is crim intresting?? xx
    I really like criminology .. it is easy! Its also interesting and good fun. Im doing a joint degree with LLb Law and i have to say i have had my doubts too. I'm just looking at places where i could apply for work experience this Summer so i can see and maybe find something i'd like to do.

Ems x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have a problem too...what do u do with a criminal justice degree... is it better to have a criminology one?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Criminal justice and criminology are near enough the same thing. Usual careers are police, probation, prison service, social worker, teacher, general graduate schemes, youth work, train to become a lawyer, CPS, business schemes etc. The list is endless really.
    • 7 followers

(Original post by Mackem85)
    Criminal justice and criminology are near enough the same thing. Usual careers are police, probation, prison service, social worker, teacher, general graduate schemes, youth work, train to become a lawyer, CPS, business schemes etc. The list is endless really.
    Ditto . . :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Business, Law (conversion course), civil service are some examples.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Government criminologist. :yes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Business, Law (conversion course), civil service are some examples.
    I was thinking of studying criminology then doing a coversion course to law after it, just wondering whether you knew how easy is it to get a place in taking a law conversion course?
    Also, can you take the course at almost any university which offers law as a subject? or are there only specific universities which offer conversion courses for law :/ e.g. if i took crim at durham, could i do a coversion course there aswell
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you can join the RAF as a criminologist, £29,000 a year after training, looks interesting
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy)
    Yeah i've read that too about not being able to enter at a higher level. Surely you'd think there would be some jobs in the police that a criminology degree is useful for ... The MI5 thinks so. I guess it's mainly forensics?
    Haha. I thought of a job with MI5/SIS a while back because I found the concept of security, and its related themes, such as plural policing, interesting. But then, looking at the criminological literature, intelligence only came about because terrorism kicked it off from 9/11. Yeah, because terrorism wasn't considered a major topic of crime before then. :rolleyes:

Was never really interested in the police except for SOCA. Closest thing we have to the CIA I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in pursuing a career in criminology. I don't want to become a police officer, but instead become a professor and teach at a university. Would I need a B.A, M.A and Phd?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    the po po
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aheadbyacentury)
    I'm interested in pursuing a career in criminology. I don't want to become a police officer, but instead become a professor and teach at a university. Would I need a B.A, M.A and Phd?
    You would need a MA and then a PhD to become a Professor/Doctor. Speak to your Criminology lecturers about which route you can take.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind well paying careers are there with a criminology degree? Im set to study criminology in the UK(Im not from the UK). I dont realy care if the job is high-paying, just want a career il find interesting. But still would be good to make good money while working :P
    • 7 followers

(Original post by Nezer)
    What kind well paying careers are there with a criminology degree? Im set to study criminology in the UK(Im not from the UK). I dont realy care if the job is high-paying, just want a career il find interesting. But still would be good to make good money while working :P
    Put it this way, if you want to better yourself with a Criminology degree, you're going to have to go that extra mile and maybe study more!!!! I not long ago graduated, and I am struggling!! And the only way my friend and I can see to better ourselves, is to go back to the ''classroom''!!!! My friend is, however (I am having a year out, to just concentrate on getting better - I have been v v ill), going to do a course, in order to get her Legal Executive career started.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed doing my degree, but in a sense I feel like I have wasted 3yrs, and rung up unnecessary debts!!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 1, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.