The Student Room Group

I'm Asian but I act 'White'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
A bit of a sarcastic comment - just playing on the typical British attitude of blaming the immigrants, but giving a new young British Asian twist to it!

And let's be honest we all do it to some extent (blaming immigrants), no matter how leftie/liberal someone is.

LOL! :rofl: Nice one.
Reply 61
I know the feeling all too well. my areas Asians are predominantly chavs who start sentences in wag1 and end in "innit blad". when I was in sixthI tried being an Asian chav and...backfired (although my ex-gf from then ended up modelling abroad so I cant complain :P ). my grades ended up suffering and lost a lot of my close white friends from high school. since I went to uni however I found out that most Asians were well educated in my course (yes you had the occasional wag1 but most had same hobbies / interest as me and had posher accents than I). I found that most Asians were like me in the sense that we spoke with british accents (rather than the freshie hybrid accent that most Asian chavs have) and were interested in a variety of things (I myself listen to j rock / Japanese dancehall, Swedish music, Russian rapping and Ukrainian rock music, as well as liking british / American TV & Films and indian comedies).

I guess 1 person's definition of acting Asian is anothers of being a chav.

There's nothing bad about saying wag1 and innit, don't be an idiot. A chav isn't described as talking hood, a chav is someone that acts like a badman, gets into drugs and stuff and eventually does badly in their education. Using wag1 and innit isn't chavvy, it's just in their vocabulary because they've been raised in a environment where it's normal to talk like that.

Seriously I say wag1 and innit ALL the time, but I got great grades at A-Levels and I'm doing a very difficult course at a top university now. Bare man talk like me and do well in their studies, there's no correlation. We were just raised up like that because to us, it's normal. That's all it is.
Typical South Asian traditional culture

It's interesting. I have some questions for you on this. I've noticed some South Asians, some women seem to me to act overly 'vulgar' in order to anglicise themselves and then some guys are trying to act more Caribbean/black, especially in London, and Birmingham etc. The women seem to change their sexual morality a bit and act a bit harsher. Then I suppose you have the people who are less integrated and stay in their own culture-my feeling is that this is muslims and middle eastern people, people from to the west of India, and also many far easterners, but there may still be Indians like this-does this depend on region and religion in India?. It seems to me like most Indians are more integrated, and then like hindus are moreso than sikhs, who are then more than muslims.I don't know about the validity of any of this, maybe you can tell me. I find a lot of Indians girls attractive(hence partly why I'm interested by this topic) and i'm interested by the anglo-indian connection, hindu religion and culture. Plus food. I find the girls who are somewhere between not integrated and overly anglicised the most attractive. Like when they go really coarse and have raspy estuary voices and act all vulgar it's turn off, when they are more comfortable with who they are, and act more dignified, maybe in tune with their original culture, but are still well into British culture, I have found them very attractive, I know that goes down toindividual culture though. I don't really know what south asian culture is in the home and all that, but I have always found it seems pretty easy to relate with Indians, moreso than far-eastern people, and also catholic/latin southern Europeans, who can be very different culturally.

Anyhow, I know I've posted a lot there but I'm interested in this topic so curious to hear your thoughts if you get a mo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by am_blue
Respecting the S Asian culture…

What is the S Asian culture?

Even white women would wear S Asian clothes in our weddings, but she wouldn't wear S Asian clothes in a wedding? That's ridiculous.

What about white men? I suspect white women do it because they think they are on a Bollywood film set, or going to a fancy dress party.
Original post by am_blue
There's nothing bad about saying wag1 and innit, don't be an idiot. A chav isn't described as talking hood, a chav is someone that acts like a badman, gets into drugs and stuff and eventually does badly in their education. Using wag1 and innit isn't chavvy, it's just in their vocabulary because they've been raised in a environment where it's normal to talk like that.

Seriously I say wag1 and innit ALL the time, but I got great grades at A-Levels and I'm doing a very difficult course at a top university now. Bare man talk like me and do well in their studies, there's no correlation. We were just raised up like that because to us, it's normal. That's all it is.

virtually all Asian chav I know smoke dodgy stuff and think theyre gangsters and they are the only ones I know who say wag1 and innit blad
Original post by InfiniteWisdom
I absolutley despise the chavy, south asian London accent. Y'know, the one like, "Yo, blad, wagwan innit fam", "Yes famalam, yo lets get some gash bruv."I live in Wales and every south asian i know speaks like that; Pakistani and Bengali.

That's not a London accent. I think it probably stems from kids being brought up by parents who didn't speak English at home, or barely spoke it (and I'm not being S Asian specific here, I think it's across the board), being in a school with lots of similar kids and not getting decent English support at school.

As popularised by Ali G.
im white but i act black, i wouldnt worry about it
Original post by am_blue
Not your fault if you're not around Asian people, but you should keep S Asian traditional values, I mean not wearing Indian clothes at a wedding? Cmon, that's pathetic

I didn't like anything so why would I wear clothes I'm not comfortable in? What's pathetic is the fact id have to pretend that I suddenly have an interest in indian fashion when I most definitely don't.
Let's be honest, the British Asians are in a bit of a pickle: Most white British people would rarely ever consider us as completely equal and always think of us as foreign; whereas the Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis back in South Asia would almost always consider us also as foreigners who have abandoned them and their culture.We're neither here nor there: it's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place - I blame our immigrant parents and grandparents!!

This is so true. We will never be truly british or truly indian. We face subtle discrimination here and outright rejection back in India.
Original post by BritishBean
This is so true. We will never be truly british or truly indian. We face subtle discrimination here and outright rejection back in India.

That's one of the positives about London though. Black people, Asians, white people who are outcasts in conservative home counties, etc....it's refuge of not quite Englishness, part commonwealth cultures, still somehow managing to all be British to a suprisiing level of success, considering timescales, and one of the greatest if not the greatest city on earth. Somehow an Island both different from the home counties and Englishness yet still British in that sense of our links to the globe beyond Europe. Let us fight to make it more civilised and economically just, and harmonious. God I'm in a political mood today.
(edited 8 years ago)
Other Asians don't really like me, unless they are also similar, and imply that I've defaulted for not complying with Asian culture standards.

Any one else relate?

no.
but what do you mean "act white?" Like you only have white mates and publicly insult Bollywood and the Indian accent or something?

Yeah
Nah its too intense and too little room for individualism

how are we intense??

the only ones rejected in India or their native countries are the ones who have detached themselves from the culture. You can be modern and like burgers and have a Twitter without like having shame. ugh.
I've noticed when you go back home, they think we drink and go to clubs. They say stuff like, "Yaar, ap Inglend (That's how they pronounce England) mein drinking kartay hon?" And they think when we speak English, they think we assume we're better than them. But, fuc*'em. Let them ostracised us.
Just embrace your culture, you should be proud of who you are :-)
Why is this thread in the Relationships section, by the way? :laugh:
I get what you mean. Although I don't think I'm a coconut personally, British Asians think I'm too 'white' because I don't really have a lot of non white friends.

I don't give ****, though. If being a judgmental ******** comes with being punjabi enough for them, I'd rather them think I'm a coconut, to be honest. :biggrin:
Original post by Man.bear.pig
the only ones rejected in India or their native countries are the ones who have detached themselves from the culture. You can be modern and like burgers and have a Twitter without like having shame. ugh.

When I go back to India my relatives and their friends snicker at me for not being religous and judge me for drinking and living a lifestyle that is quite normal over here but strange to them.

I haven't detached myself from indian culture, I was never part of it to begin with! My skin colour does not define my culture. I was brought up in a predominantly white area of England and as such I take most of my cultural habits from here.
When I go back to India my relatives and their friends snicker at me for not being religous and judge me for drinking and living a lifestyle that is quite normal over here but strange to them.

I haven't detached myself from indian culture, I was never part of it to begin with! My skin colour does not define my culture. I was brought up in a predominantly white area of England and as such I take most of my cultural habits from here.

lol
Original post by Man.bear.pig
no.
but what do you mean "act white?" Like you only have white mates and publicly insult Bollywood and the Indian accent or something?

how are we intense??

Indian culture can be very intense with this whole obsession of how you should live your life. Eat this, don't eat that. Pray this many times a week for all these auspicious days. Don't drink, don't party, don't have sexual relationships, be a 'good indian'. Become a doctor/engineer/lawyer, don't have sex until your marriage to a nice indian, don't marry a muslim, don't be gay, don't like gays, don't treat women equally...

It can be quite restrictive as a culture. Also, in my opnion, quite boring. I look at all the indians I know in London and they are so proud of being 'more indian' than me but I love my life and would never ever want to be like them.
Indian culture can be very intense with this whole obsession of how you should live your life. Eat this, don't eat that. Pray this many times a week for all these auspicious days. Don't drink, don't party, don't have sexual relationships, be a 'good indian'. Become a doctor/engineer/lawyer, don't have sex until your marriage to a nice indian, don't marry a muslim, don't be gay, don't like gays, don't treat women equally...

It can be quite restrictive as a culture. Also, in my opnion, quite boring. I look at all the indians I know in London and they are so proud of being 'more indian' than me but I love my life and would never ever want to be like them.

k. read enough. you're grieving being Indian. Dafa ho (if you know what that means) :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending