The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

School of Management and Languages 2016

Hi

This is a thread for anyone thinking of applying / applying for an undergraduate degree in the School of Management and Languages in September 2016 at Heriot-Watt, so thats any degree in:

Accountancy & Finance
Business Management
Economics
Languages

Come ask us anything you need to know about your subjects, grades, coming to our Open Day (Fri 25th September and Sat 31st October btw!), applying, student halls, etc!

:h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Do you accept native languages as an a level subject?
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi. I wonder if you could answer a few questions for me.

I am studying an Access to HE course as a mature (24) student this year and hoping to go on to do Management with Chinese which is offered at a few universities. I have no A levels but the required GCSEs. What is the universities tolerance towards students like myself? I don't see much info about whether you accept Access courses.

I do not have any language qualifications however have begun learning the language via on-line classes in my spare time. My experience since leaving school has been running an humble small business along with my father which may be loosely relevant to the course.

Many thanks
Original post by Rileniya
Do you accept native languages as an a level subject?

Hi Rileniya. We accept native language A-levles to our Languages (Interpreting and Translating programmes and also to our Applied Languages and Translating programmes. We don't accept native language as an A-level subject for any of the other programmes in the School though.

Hope this helps! Any specific questions can be sent to [email protected] who'll be happy to answer in detail :h:
Original post by JimJimJim
Hi. I wonder if you could answer a few questions for me.

I am studying an Access to HE course as a mature (24) student this year and hoping to go on to do Management with Chinese which is offered at a few universities. I have no A levels but the required GCSEs. What is the universities tolerance towards students like myself? I don't see much info about whether you accept Access courses.

I do not have any language qualifications however have begun learning the language via on-line classes in my spare time. My experience since leaving school has been running an humble small business along with my father which may be loosely relevant to the course.

Many thanks

Hi JimJimJim

Is it International Business Management with Languages (Chinese) you're interested in? No formal qualifications in Chinese are required for entry to this programme. The ability to demonstrate ability for another language can strongly support an application - so the online language course will be helpful to your Chinese language ability not to mention great preparation for studying at university!

We are happy to consider equivalent qualifications such as Access courses and relevant work experience.

Our UG Admissions Team can be contacted on [email protected] if you'd like further information on entry for this programme. :smile:
Hi,

I am writing to request some information about your Accountancy and Business Law program.
I am interested in this course and I would like to apply for admission in 2016.

At the moment, I am enrolled at the Edinburgh College in HNC/D Accounting, and the last year, I completed access to HN Accounting and IAB SAGE ACCOUNTING: LINE 50.

I achieved 6 in Ielts, with Listening 6, Reading 7, Writing 5.5, Speaking 5.5. So, Will I have to resit IELTS?

I would like to ask about the entry requirements for the programme, and whether Could I apply for the first or second Year?

Thank You in advance for your attention to my request.

I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours Sincerely.
Original post by Lucafisico
Hi,

I am writing to request some information about your Accountancy and Business Law program.
I am interested in this course and I would like to apply for admission in 2016.

At the moment, I am enrolled at the Edinburgh College in HNC/D Accounting, and the last year, I completed access to HN Accounting and IAB SAGE ACCOUNTING: LINE 50.

I achieved 6 in Ielts, with Listening 6, Reading 7, Writing 5.5, Speaking 5.5. So, Will I have to resit IELTS?

I would like to ask about the entry requirements for the programme, and whether Could I apply for the first or second Year?

Thank You in advance for your attention to my request.

I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours Sincerely.

Hi there

Thanks for posting your question.

Our entry requirements for HNC/HND qualifications are:

Level 1 Entry
HNC with B in the Graded Unit.

Level 2 Entry
HNC Accounting with A in Graded Unit
HND Accounting with BB in Graded Units

Level 3 Entry
HND Accounting with AA Graded Units

IELTS qualifications are valid for two years only, so depending when you sat the test you may be required to retake it. We will take all aspects of your application in to account including your grades,personal statement and academic reference.

Hope this helps, please feel free to drop us an email at [email protected] if you've any further questions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi,

I have a few questions about your LINT French/Spanish course.

(1) There are electives in 1st and 2nd year. If I have Higher German already, can these electives be taken in German in one or both years and if so, to what level of proficiency in German would these take you?
(2) In the 3rd year, which is abroad studying at a French and a Spanish university, do you sit exams at these two universities or is there a project/dissertation instead?
(3) What percentage of your LINT graduates are in graduate level employment or further study after 6 months of graduating?
(4) How many students are there in the 1st year of this course?
(5) What advantages are there in taking this course rather than a French and Spanish degree then taking your postgraduate translating and interpreting MSc (other than cost and time) ?

Many Thanks
Original post by Teenie2
Hi,

I have a few questions about your LINT French/Spanish course.

(1) There are electives in 1st and 2nd year. If I have Higher German already, can these electives be taken in German in one or both years and if so, to what level of proficiency in German would these take you?
(2) In the 3rd year, which is abroad studying at a French and a Spanish university, do you sit exams at these two universities or is there a project/dissertation instead?
(3) What percentage of your LINT graduates are in graduate level employment or further study after 6 months of graduating?
(4) How many students are there in the 1st year of this course?
(5) What advantages are there in taking this course rather than a French and Spanish degree then taking your postgraduate translating and interpreting MSc (other than cost and time) ?

Many Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your questions. We've asked the Admissions Tutor for our LINT programme to respond to points 1 and 2, as well as 4 and we'll post a reply for these as soon we have it.

Under point 3 - 80% of LINT graduates are in work or further study within 6 months. You can view more key statistics, including this, about our LINT (French/Spanish) course in our online prospectus at http://www.undergraduate.hw.ac.uk/programmes/RR14/
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi

Hope these replies from our Languages Admissions Tutor are helpful to you. Please let us know if you need any more info, or drop us an email on [email protected]

(1) We have created suitable electives in the past, where students attend 3 out of the 4 classes taught at 1st and 2nd year level as part of the German mainstream classes, providing that it can work with the student’s timetable, so we could potentially find a way to enable you to continue your 3 languages :smile:

(2) You would have to take exams in each university, and achieve a set number of credits for each placement. At the moment the dissertation is undertaken during your final year (Year 4).

(3) Above 92%.

(4) Numbers vary and are spread over the languages, but the cohort is usually around 100 students. There are very few classes involving the whole group at the same time, though.

(5) The degree enables you to bring your command of your two foreign languages to a very high level, while focusing on content and tasks which develop key employability skills and are sought by employers. It also includes a range of courses focusing on current affairs,politics, the economy and international organisation, where more traditional degrees would have literature classes, and graduates have found that these prepared them well for the professional world. If you are considering a career as an interpreter, it is a great starting point. Become a professional interpreter requires an extremely good command of your foreign languages, an excellent knowledge and understanding of intercultural issues which a 4 year undergraduate courses would help you to acquire, and it is very technical, so being exposed to professional equipment and simulations of professional settings at an early stage is giving you a considerable head-start.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Applying for international business management with french but haven't sent away my application yet, any advice for the personal statement?
Reply 11
Hi,

I was just wondering where your placements would be with regards to the "International Business" Course, I have already looked at where i may be able to transfer but I'm still unclear as to where it would be in particular for this course. Also I want to ask whether or not the year abroad would affect my end degree classification or would i just need to pass? My final question is what is the passing percentage?

Thank you
Original post by mon124
Applying for international business management with french but haven't sent away my application yet, any advice for the personal statement?

Hi Mon124,

You might find thi article useful and it includes a tip from our ourselves:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=21075-End-your-personal-statement-with-a-bang-universities-explain-how

Good luck and happy writing :wink:
Original post by bikinko
Hi,

I was just wondering where your placements would be with regards to the "International Business" Course, I have already looked at where i may be able to transfer but I'm still unclear as to where it would be in particular for this course. Also I want to ask whether or not the year abroad would affect my end degree classification or would i just need to pass? My final question is what is the passing percentage?

Thank you

Hi bikinko

Our International Business Management programme has placements at English speaking institutions across Europe (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Poland, Sweden), China (Shanghai), Australia, Canada, and the USA. There is stiff competition for placements so your academic performance and especially your results in those courses which are requirements of the exchange partner you would like to study at, are taken into account when allocating students to placements.

During your year abroad you need to achieve satisfactory performance in the approved course of study at your overseas institution - the equivalent of 120 Heriot-Watt credits.For our International Business Management students - all courses taken in their fourth year here at Heriot-Watt count towards their final honours classification.

Hope this helps, if you've any more queries please give us a call on 0131 451 3284 or drop us an email to [email protected] where we'll be happy to help. :smile:
Hi there,

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I was wondering if you could help.

One of my friends is really stressed as he hasn't heard back from any unis yet, so I thought I'd help him out.
He applied for French and Applied Language Studies in December.

He did Scottish Highers last year and got an A in English and 3 B's in French, Graphic Communication and Geography, plus a B at National 5 physics.

This year, he is studying Advanced Higher French and English, and crashing Higher Spanish. He is expected to get 3 As in these.

Can I ask if this will be enough for consideration? I don't want him to lose all hope so I was just wondering if anyone else had been accepted into this course with similar grades.
Original post by eleanorduffy98
Hi there,

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I was wondering if you could help.

One of my friends is really stressed as he hasn't heard back from any unis yet, so I thought I'd help him out.
He applied for French and Applied Language Studies in December.

He did Scottish Highers last year and got an A in English and 3 B's in French, Graphic Communication and Geography, plus a B at National 5 physics.

This year, he is studying Advanced Higher French and English, and crashing Higher Spanish. He is expected to get 3 As in these.

Can I ask if this will be enough for consideration? I don't want him to lose all hope so I was just wondering if anyone else had been accepted into this course with similar grades.

Hi there

With the UCAS deadline having closed a couple of weeks ago we're now in the process of beginning to look at Scottish applications here in the School of Management and Languages (where Languages applicants study). We hope to have notified all applicants of our decisions by end of March.

Every application is unique and whilst grades are a key part of an application, we can't give an indication of eligibility on grades alone. Personal statements and references are also taken into account.

Best of luck to your friend :smile: Hopefully he will hear from us soon. And well done to you for being such a good friend to him and helping him to stay positive. :u::u:

Admissions Team
School of Management and Languages
Reply 16
I sent my application away 9th of December, would my application be considered anytime soon or are they just taken in random order and I might not hear back until the end of March?
Original post by mon124
I sent my application away 9th of December, would my application be considered anytime soon or are they just taken in random order and I might not hear back until the end of March?

Hi mon124,

Apologies for the delay in our decision process. We get thousands of applications and I know the admissions tutor likes to take time to assess each application fairly. My colleagues will be looking at your application and hopefully you hear something soon.

If you are concerned about your application, please get in touch with the admissions tutor [email protected]

Good luck with your application,
Cheers,
Keir

Quick Reply

Latest