The Student Room Group

Degenerate Western Society

To me, it seems that most modern people care only about being happy right now, and don't give a damn about future generations, at least up until their mid thirties. They are selfish and short sighted, sparing no thought for the future of mankind.

Why are people so obsessed with wasting their time getting drunk, watching TV, and playing video games? Why not do something with their lives?

Why do people embrace stagnation of our industries and the ageing of our infrastructure?

Why do men dislike the though of getting married? So they can have sex with more people?

Why are women so obsessed with expensive clothes?

Why do they care so much about their careers and income? So they can get bigger cars?

Convince me that modern Western society, with TV shows like 'Keeping up with the Kardashians', is not degenerate

Original post by Viva Emptiness
That's where you and I differ. I don't care one bit about "the future of the human race" and I don't really understand why anyone else does. You live a short life (cosmically speaking) and so will humankind in general - might as well get out of it what you can because you only get one go at it.
This is what I'm talking about...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ask our parents, they started all this.
Reply 2
Original post by Johann von Gauss
To me, it seems that most modern people care only about being happy right now, and don't give a damn about future generations, at least up until their mid thirties. They are selfish and short sighted, sparing no thought for the future of mankind.

Why are people so obsessed with wasting their time getting drunk, watching TV, and playing video games? Why not do something with their lives?

Why do people embrace stagnation of our industries and the ageing of our infrastructure?

Why do men dislike the though of getting married? So they can have sex with more people?

Why are women so obsessed with expensive clothes?

Why do they care so much about their careers and income? So they can get bigger cars?

Convince me that modern Western society is not degenerate

Getting drunk, watching TV and video games are only degenerate if that is all that is done.

Men often do like getting married because of how it favors women when it comes to divorce and disagreements. Also not all men are like that.

Not all women are obsessed with expensive clothes.

Finally, how an earth is trying to improve your career and salary degenerate?
Earning more money is not degenerate in anyway at all (unless you are a prostitute).
There is no point having a large income if you don't have anything useful to spend it on - if you sacrifice having a family just to further your career, you have a large income but nothing to do with it. Seems rather silly.

People's priorities may be shifting but that doesn't necessarily make it degenerate. People are waking up to the lie that life is only about education, career and a family.
Reply 4
There is no point having a large income if you don't have anything useful to spend it on - if you sacrifice having a family just to further your career, you have a large income but nothing to do with it. Seems rather silly.

Often it is because of a family people earn more. If not then perhaps they don't want children.

What is 'useful'? It is just your opinion.
No, apparently getting the biggest car, latest shoes are equally as important

You'll have to explain to me why that's inherently worse than settling down and starting a family.
Reply 6
So we live in a degererate society because some people like doing different things than you.
Because it is so wasteful - why invest in a big car, why? Why not invest in your family and the future of the human race?

That's where you and I differ. I don't care one bit about "the future of the human race" and I don't really understand why anyone else does. You live a short life (cosmically speaking) and so will humankind in general - might as well get out of it what you can because you only get one go at it.

Lol, you can send it on stuff. Who wouldn't be a playboy if they were rolling in it yolo

Correction. That income just bought you some freedom. That's how I see it anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)

Why would you though?
People's priorities may be shifting but that doesn't necessarily make it degenerate. People are waking up to the lie that life is only about education, career and a family.

so what else is it about??
Original post by Xotol
So we live in a degererate society because some people like doing different things than you.

lol
Original post by Man.bear.pig
so what else is it about??

You can't think of other things that people might want out of life?

-Freedom
-Travel
-Pursuing passions/hobbies
-To live like a hermit in a cave forever

Just to name a few.
Because why throw away billions of years of evolution? Humankind has amassed much knowledge in our short existence - our descendants would look upon us as gods with our technology. Isn't it exciting to think how happy your descendants will be, to speculate how god-like they will appear to us?

Besides, we can't be certain that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe, despite its vastness. So some might say it is our duty to ensure our own survival.

Because it literally makes no difference in the end? One day we'll all be obliterated by a meteorite, frozen by a dead Sun or whatever end you might care to think of. And even if we manage to cultivate life on another planet, it will just happen to us there as well - and even if it doesn't what the hell is the end point?
Just because you are miserable doesn't mean we all have to be. Not everyone wants the same thing in life as you. I always say this, if somebody doesn't like Western society they can pack up and move To Asia, Africa or the Middle East.
You can't think of other things that people might want out of life?

-Freedom
-Travel
-Pursuing passions/hobbies
-To live like a hermit in a cave forever

Just to name a few.

:rolleyes: that screaming white privilege that life should amount to a series of worthless frivolities. you must live on a trust fund or simply have very low standards for yourself and the world around you. anything else?
So life is pointless. Why not kill yourself? Because that's even more pointless somehow. And there is a lot you would miss out on doing. Now, that's the view you take on your own life, and the view I take on humanity's existence.

mate you're going in circles with that one. she's like totally menstruating and tipsy off red wine at the same time.

Hey buddy, where did you get the computer from which to post this thread? Was it you or your family's "greed"?

The fact is that humans want things. Want to achieve things and have things and use things.
That is life, that is how I like it, I am not going to stop, so instead of preaching just go and become a hermit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending