The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do about my BF?

I'll try to keep this as short as possible!

Basically I've been seeing a guy for about 2 months, it's my first relationship. At the start everything was nice, not serious.

I have depression and anxiety, I won't go into details, but I get bad mood swings, so I'll go from extreme worry and panic to a high then to hating everyone. I don't have feelings towards anyone, including family, and I just feel confused all the time.I'm also not an affectionate person, so I don't really enjoy hand holding or anything like that.

But anyway, I had feelings for him at the start, but now I'm not so sure.
He's jealous about me hanging out with other guys, even though he won't say it, he always talks about him going with me to events so no one can hit on me (we go to things like comic con, I get hit on quite a bit), he watches me type messages to other guys but not girls, he keeps saying how he really really likes me and I know he's very serious from the get go.

I've told him how I feel with the depression and stuff and that I'm not affectionate etc. Like, I'll tell him that I'm down, I need space, yet he keeps trying to help even though I've said I'll be fine after space and that he can't pick up "subtle" hints even though I'm being incredibly straightforward?
If I tell him I would just like cuddles and nothing else, no kissing he says its fine and I'll say I'll let you know when I'm comfortable with it, but he then tries pushing it further and no doesn't mean no.

I'm trying not to call the shots with my depression or stringing him along because he is so lovely and stuff but I'm still going through a lot, but idk if my feelings have changed because of depression or because of his clingyness?

I'm not happy but he keeps guilting me by saying things like "please don't push me away. I lost my last gf to depression. the last girl I dated who went on a break dumped me"

I don't know whether to try and make it work or cut him?
I'm feeling incredibly down about this and although the obvious might be there, in my head it's not :frown:

Any advice is greatly appreciated :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'll try to keep this as short as possible!

Basically I've been seeing a guy for about 2 months, it's my first relationship. At the start everything was nice, not serious.

I have depression and anxiety, I won't go into details, but I get bad mood swings, so I'll go from extreme worry and panic to a high then to hating everyone. I don't have feelings towards anyone, including family, and I just feel confused all the time.I'm also not an affectionate person, so I don't really enjoy hand holding or anything like that.

But anyway, I had feelings for him at the start, but now I'm not so sure.
He's jealous about me hanging out with other guys, even though he won't say it, he always talks about him going with me to events so no one can hit on me (we go to things like comic con, I get hit on quite a bit), he watches me type messages to other guys but not girls, he keeps saying how he really really likes me and I know he's very serious from the get go.

I've told him how I feel with the depression and stuff and that I'm not affectionate etc. Like, I'll tell him that I'm down, I need space, yet he keeps trying to help even though I've said I'll be fine after space and that he can't pick up "subtle" hints even though I'm being incredibly straightforward?
If I tell him I would just like cuddles and nothing else, no kissing he says its fine and I'll say I'll let you know when I'm comfortable with it, but he then tries pushing it further and no doesn't mean no.

I'm trying not to call the shots with my depression or stringing him along because he is so lovely and stuff but I'm still going through a lot, but idk if my feelings have changed because of depression or because of his clingyness?

I'm not happy but he keeps guilting me by saying things like "please don't push me away. I lost my last gf to depression. the last girl I dated who went on a break dumped me"

I don't know whether to try and make it work or cut him?
I'm feeling incredibly down about this and although the obvious might be there, in my head it's not :frown:

Any advice is greatly appreciated :frown:

I had a similar issue with my ex gf in terms of the depression, although I was a little more...understanding of it and I never pressured her for anything. I just enjoyed what we had and I simply enjoyed her company because I loved her. If he cannot keep his sexual urges under control then he doesn't deserve you to be frank and he will only get more and more frustrated as time goes on.
Believe me when I say it is much easier to leave now than 6 months or a year down the line. If he does not have the patience to wait for you to share that special side of you then he does not deserve that special side of you. Do understand though that men are sexual creatures and their urges are far greater than females, so if you are completely shut off I can understand his frustration, but he should be trying to allow you to open up in more orthodox ways by making you feel confident in yourself rather than doing it just to please him or because you feel guilty or pressured. If you do it for the latter reason neither of you would be happy with the outcome.

In terms of the jealousy issue I would like to point out that this is a male instinct and a lot of men (particularly these days) have a lot of trust issues. I have trust issues and I too would get jealous in my past relationships and for a lot of men out there it takes many many months for you to gain their trust. Just understand that you don't know his past or why he has these issues, he may have had an ex cheat on him or suffered severe rejection in his school years, you don't know. But I would tell you this, once you gain that persons trust it will feel that much better and much more significant than gaining it from someone who gives their trust willy nilly.
To be quite frank it isn't really nice of you to lead him on like that. If you have issues and don't wish to engage with him in partnering activities, I would recommend you leave him.
You would be extremely frustrated in the same position - why would you be messaging other men while simultaneously never messaging female friends?
I don't mean to sound harsh, its just unfair because he thinks you like him and you clearly don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Tisreece
I had a similar issue with my ex gf in terms of the depression, although I was a little more...understanding of it and I never pressured her for anything. I just enjoyed what we had and I simply enjoyed her company because I loved her. If he cannot keep his sexual urges under control then he doesn't deserve you to be frank and he will only get more and more frustrated as time goes on.
Believe me when I say it is much easier to leave now than 6 months or a year down the line. If he does not have the patience to wait for you to share that special side of you then he does not deserve that special side of you. Do understand though that men are sexual creatures and their urges are far greater than females, so if you are completely shut off I can understand his frustration, but he should be trying to allow you to open up in more orthodox ways by making you feel confident in yourself rather than doing it just to please him or because you feel guilty or pressured. If you do it for the latter reason neither of you would be happy with the outcome.

In terms of the jealousy issue I would like to point out that this is a male instinct and a lot of men (particularly these days) have a lot of trust issues. I have trust issues and I too would get jealous in my past relationships and for a lot of men out there it takes many many months for you to gain their trust. Just understand that you don't know his past or why he has these issues, he may have had an ex cheat on him or suffered severe rejection in his school years, you don't know. But I would tell you this, once you gain that persons trust it will feel that much better and much more significant than gaining it from someone who gives their trust willy nilly.

Thank you, I needed to hear that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by phoenixsilver
To be quite frank it isn't really nice of you to lead him on like that. If you have issues and don't wish to engage with him in partnering activities, I would recommend you leave him.
You would be extremely frustrated in the same position - why would you be messaging other men while simultaneously never messaging female friends?
I don't mean to sound harsh, its just unfair because he thinks you like him and you clearly don't

Posted from TSR Mobile

How am I leading him on?
I do like him - I did state that, but not to the level as him, it takes me a long time to like someone and he has gotten attached very fast.

I do message girls? What? I don't think you read tthe whole thing :/
The problem is if you are not feeling it then maybe it is best to let him go, just because he seems very into you, it is very hard to have a relationship when you are suffering like that, it is doable but it takes patience on both sides, it's a tough one but the way I see it he is very affectionate and you're not so it is going to make things a lot more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending