The Student Room Group

Last Minute Statistics GCSE Results Panic

I took my Statistics GCSE this year and I looked at the grade boundaries a few minutes ago. If I didn't get an A* in my controlled assessment, does that mean I can't get one overall? Or do they grade it by my exam paper and controlled assessment marks put together?
If anyone could tell me, I'd really appreciate it :smile: Thank you!
Original post by AmeliaBaldwin
I took my Statistics GCSE this year and I looked at the grade boundaries a few minutes ago. If I didn't get an A* in my controlled assessment, does that mean I can't get one overall? Or do they grade it by my exam paper and controlled assessment marks put together?
If anyone could tell me, I'd really appreciate it :smile: Thank you!

They're put together. Your marks from your controlled assessment and exam are converted into something called "UMS" (UMS is used rather than raw marks because exams change in difficulty year on year) and your UMS from the CA and exam are added together to get your final point score. So if you didn't get an A* in your controlled assessment it is still possible to get an A* overall, although you'd have to get over 90% UMS in the exam. If you know what you got in your controlled assessment, you can actually work out precisely what mark you'd need in the exam to get an A* overall now that the grade boundaries have been released.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
They're put together. Your marks from your controlled assessment and exam are converted into something called "UMS" (UMS is used rather than raw marks because exams change in difficulty year on year) and your UMS from the CA and exam are added together to get your final point score. So if you didn't get an A* in your controlled assessment it is still possible to get an A* overall, although you'd have to get over 90% UMS in the exam. If you know what you got in your controlled assessment, you can actually work out precisely what mark you'd need in the exam to get an A* overall now that the grade boundaries have been released.

Thank you <3 I had a momentary panic

Quick Reply

Latest