The Student Room Group

Questions on Long-Distance Break-Ups..

So if you think you've decided, when you are in a LDR, that you want to break up with the person, what should you do?

While I feel the obvious answer will be to do it in person, isn't cruel or mean or just wrong to pretend that everything is okay for however long it may be until you have the chance to tell the other person in.. well in person?

Is it then acceptable to break-up not in person when in a LDR with great distance and time between you?

I'm just curious.
Reply 1
You should always give someone the respect of a face to face conversation.
I say if it's LDR then Skype is perfectly acceptable.
I wouldn't want the dude to have me travelling miles just for him to break up with me. So either you travel to them or do it via video call.
Reply 4
Original post by InnateRambler
So if you think you've decided, when you are in a LDR, that you want to break up with the person, what should you do?

While I feel the obvious answer will be to do it in person, isn't cruel or mean or just wrong to pretend that everything is okay for however long it may be until you have the chance to tell the other person in.. well in person?

Is it then acceptable to break-up not in person when in a LDR with great distance and time between you?

I'm just curious.

It's really a matter of how distant are we talking? If it's within the same country I would say that it would be proper to say to them that you have something to say to them and to do it in person as early as you possibly can. The expense of the travel should not be a problem since at the end of the day they will be devastated by the news so it's a small sacrifice to pay in the name of decency. It's also very important to have that final hug and kiss so they can at least the other party can say they savoured their final moments with you.
If we're talking a different country or an overseas territory then yeah skype is your best bet, just make sure you have a clear connection and there are no distractions so you can get the message off clear enough to let them down as easy as possible.
See I agree it should be in person, and yes its pretty easy to travel to where they are as it is the same country just opposite ends.. I just find it hard to talk and pretend to be happy and interested, because I just do. Yes I still care I just feel as if its lying constantly, pretending everything is fine for the next few weeks until I can find time and money to visit, albiet briefly, its driving me insane.

I'm aware this is making me out as a massive jerk, try to understand, but maybe I just am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending