The Student Room Group

PCDL - Barclays application declined

I've just received a letter to say my application with Barclays has been refused. I've checked my credit rating with Experion, which is not far off excellent so I'm a little confused.

I've just called them and they have said the refusal is due to my bank statements showing the use of my overdraft. The max I've been in there over the last few month must be around £200.

Has anybody else had the same issue? I've asked to appeal as, I don't think the decision is very fare, and they've said I should receive a letter in 5-10 working days.

Is there anybody who has appealed with Barclays? I'm just wondering if I have much of a chance!

I'm going to be starting a social work MA and will be on full time placement half of the 2 year course. I want to work part time but know I will struggle during this period!

Any advice is appreciated!
Original post by tashtash
I've just received a letter to say my application with Barclays has been refused. I've checked my credit rating with Experion, which is not far off excellent so I'm a little confused.

I've just called them and they have said the refusal is due to my bank statements showing the use of my overdraft. The max I've been in there over the last few month must be around £200.

Has anybody else had the same issue? I've asked to appeal as, I don't think the decision is very fare, and they've said I should receive a letter in 5-10 working days.

Is there anybody who has appealed with Barclays? I'm just wondering if I have much of a chance!

I'm going to be starting a social work MA and will be on full time placement half of the 2 year course. I want to work part time but know I will struggle during this period!

Any advice is appreciated!

£200 is still a fair amount of money to go overdrawn by so don't hold your hopes up.
Reply 2
Oh bugger! What makes it worse is that I had the money in my savings account!
Oh bugger! What makes it worse is that I had the money in my savings account!

Maybe in your appeal you can point that out.
Reply 4
I had my Barclays application rejected too. Mine was because in Feb I missed a direct debit payment. It was £15, and paid a day late. I appealed and was just rejected again, to be honest I don't even think they looked at it, it came back so quickly.

But I've now been provisionally accepted for a Co-op loan, so don't lose hope !
Reply 5
Original post by Katie_C
I had my Barclays application rejected too. Mine was because in Feb I missed a direct debit payment. It was £15, and paid a day late. I appealed and was just rejected again, to be honest I don't even think they looked at it, it came back so quickly.

But I've now been provisionally accepted for a Co-op loan, so don't lose hope !

Fingers crossed! I've called a few times to try and speak to somebody about my appeal but I can't get a straight story from anybody, and when I ask questions they don't seem to understand me!

Maybe I'll be better off with the Co-Op. We shall see!
Reply 6
Fingers crossed! I've called a few times to try and speak to somebody about my appeal but I can't get a straight story from anybody, and when I ask questions they don't seem to understand me!

Maybe I'll be better off with the Co-Op. We shall see!

Was it an arranged (student?) overdraft or was it unplanned? If the latter, I've heard that Barclays tend to reject people for missed payments/unplanned overdrafts pretty ruthlessly. Not sure about Co-Op, but I guess it's worth a shot. Perhaps include a note explaining your situation.

If the former, then I'm not sure why. I think it's fair to say that a lot of people who apply for the pcdl have a student overdraft, and I was about 1000 into mine when I applied. However I also sent proof of my overdraft limit and that my account was student (aka interest free overdraft). Did you try telling them that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending