The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Biomedical science foundation year

Hey i've just been accepted into the biomedical science with a foundation year course and was wondering if anyone had any advice, tips or help for me. I didn't do any science a levels hence my reason for doing the foundation course but if anyone has any books to recommend or notes from their time during the course, or any specific aspect of my revision to target it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by K11II
Hey i've just been accepted into the biomedical science with a foundation year course and was wondering if anyone had any advice, tips or help for me. I didn't do any science a levels hence my reason for doing the foundation course but if anyone has any books to recommend or notes from their time during the course, or any specific aspect of my revision to target it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:

http://readinglists.hull.ac.uk/courses/587603.html
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by K11II

I dont have any information for you unfortunately :frown: but I wanted to post and let you know that I'm joining you on this course in September (: are you local to Hull or will you be moving here soon?
Reply 3
Congratulations on that offer. Also may I ask whether you've looked into details regarding funding for foundation years? As I'm thinking of doing the same

Original post by K11II
Reply 4
Original post by K11II

I haven’t done a foundation course here but I am about to start my 3rd year of biomedical science, so I can offer you some tips based on just that.

I think when you’re doing a foundation course here one thing to realise is that you’re going to be covering a lot of general science, including subjects you just won’t need for Biomedical Science proper (eg Geography). The best tip I can give you is to just focus on that being a means to an end and just try to keep on top of your study schedule. Don’t worry too much about books just yet because the reading lists provided for each module are good and you’ll have easy access to those lists via ebridge (the uni’s online portal) when you start, and all of them are available in the library.

Each person will be different in how they study, but I found myself using a lot more online resources in the early stages of Biomedical Science than textbooks, and in fact I don’t think I used a textbook once during my first year in which I hit 80%+ in most modules. Especially early in the course you can actually get by quite well with lecture notes (i.e. studying what is on the slides), and use the likes of khan academy and other channels on youtube for explanations where required.

One final piece of advice is that when you’re given coursework, put a bit of effort into it because for most modules half of your marks come from coursework. I see people all the time panicking about written exams worth 50% of a module, spend weeks revising in full study mode, but those same people would have thrown their coursework together at the last minute, despite it being worth the same as the written paper. Coursework is basically an open book exam, which can pass you a module on it’s own.

Anyway I hope that helps a little, and feel free to ask any more questions. In the meantime just relax and look forward to what will be a brilliant year for you, starting in just a few weeks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm applying for Foundation year in forensic science with entry to Biomedical Science. Could you be able to tell me what did you do during your foundation year, how lectures looked like.. Etc. I'm stuck with my personal statement and need some help :frown:.
Original post by K11II

Lucky you! Even people who did a levels in science find it hard to get in. Do you want to do medicine afterwards? Also they will give you a reading list so don't worry. Plus foundation year is really good from what I have heard, although its an extra year and more money going its enjoyable. But make sure you buy a good anatomy book like Gray's and make sure you get a lot of paper and fine liners to make your notes colourful. Otherwise relax and enjoy your foundation year, it doesn't count does it- just make sure you pass it so you can start the BSc.
Original post by Alzir
I haven’t done a foundation course here but I am about to start my 3rd year of biomedical science, so I can offer you some tips based on just that.

I think when you’re doing a foundation course here one thing to realise is that you’re going to be covering a lot of general science, including subjects you just won’t need for Biomedical Science proper (eg Geography). The best tip I can give you is to just focus on that being a means to an end and just try to keep on top of your study schedule. Don’t worry too much about books just yet because the reading lists provided for each module are good and you’ll have easy access to those lists via ebridge (the uni’s online portal) when you start, and all of them are available in the library.

Each person will be different in how they study, but I found myself using a lot more online resources in the early stages of Biomedical Science than textbooks, and in fact I don’t think I used a textbook once during my first year in which I hit 80%+ in most modules. Especially early in the course you can actually get by quite well with lecture notes (i.e. studying what is on the slides), and use the likes of khan academy and other channels on youtube for explanations where required.

One final piece of advice is that when you’re given coursework, put a bit of effort into it because for most modules half of your marks come from coursework. I see people all the time panicking about written exams worth 50% of a module, spend weeks revising in full study mode, but those same people would have thrown their coursework together at the last minute, despite it being worth the same as the written paper. Coursework is basically an open book exam, which can pass you a module on it’s own.

Anyway I hope that helps a little, and feel free to ask any more questions. In the meantime just relax and look forward to what will be a brilliant year for you, starting in just a few weeks :smile:

Hi I just wanted some advice. I am holding a conditional place at UCLAN and MMU for Biomed. However, I feel I wont make the grades this year for direct entry onto the course. Is there a possibility universities allow to transfer and alter my application to a foundation entry route. I think a foundation year will be beneficial for me

Quick Reply

Latest