The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Freshers Week for commuters, Liverpool uni

I live 3 miles from the city centre so staying in halls wasn't really appropriate. But I am worried about freshers week as I know people go out with their flat mates. Anyway, just wondering how many of you are not staying in halls are out there,don't wanna feel like the only one in this situation.

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same situation, except I'll be living even further away - 5.4miles to be exact. I have no idea how i am going to meet anybody outside classes. I was thinking of going to the campus tour, it's on 2nd, 9th and 16th of September.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Messibility
I'm in the same situation, except I'll be living even further away - 5.4miles to be exact. I have no idea how i am going to meet anybody outside classes. I was thinking of going to the campus tour, it's on 2nd, 9th and 16th of September.

Do you have Facebook? 😀
Original post by Messibility

Joining a society or a sports team is one of the best and easiest ways of meeting new people and making friends aside from your course. I'd definitely recommend joining a sports team as it was the place where i made the majority of close friends the first time i went to university and i aim to repeat it again whist at Liverpool too.
Original post by I am soapy
Joining a society or a sports team is one of the best and easiest ways of meeting new people and making friends aside from your course. I'd definitely recommend joining a sports team as it was the place where i made the majority of close friends the first time i went to university and i aim to repeat it again whist at Liverpool too.

Definitely! I'm worried with how my social life at uni will be ...with not staying in halls, I'll just have to put more effort in - sports, societies, student media and get talking with my course mates 😁
Reply 5
I’m living in an apartment in city centre however I still don’t know anybody to go to any of the Freshers events with, I was thinking of just going to some in the day like tours and information days to see if I meet anyone that way
I'm going to be traveling because I live in St Helens a bus and a train and I don't know anyone from my courses or in general, I've been looking for people on my courses because I'm so nervous and scared of not making any friends hahaha. I haven't applied for fresher's and probably wont go to any of the events. I was looking at applying for societies does anyone know when you do this, do you go a event or is it on the internet?, also do you pay? if its an event do you need a wrist band because they were like £60!
Reply 7
The wristbands usually aren't worth it because you won't go to all of the events on it and you may want to go to a mixture of John Moores and uni of events. And same, I can't find anybody who says they're on my course!
Original post by loispaigebarker
I'm going to be traveling because I live in St Helens a bus and a train and I don't know anyone from my courses or in general, I've been looking for people on my courses because I'm so nervous and scared of not making any friends hahaha. I haven't applied for fresher's and probably wont go to any of the events. I was looking at applying for societies does anyone know when you do this, do you go a event or is it on the internet?, also do you pay? if its an event do you need a wrist band because they were like £60!

To apply for societies you can sign up in person at the 2015 Welcome Fair. This is based in the guild of students and is on Thursday 24th, and Friday 25th September. The fair itself will have all of the societies and sports clubs that are available and will allow you to see all of what is on offer. It also means that you can chat to the people that are in, or currently running the society. You don't need to pay or have a wristband to take part and sign up to the societies, you just have to be a student at the University of Liverpool. I believe you can also apply directly to a few societies via the societies webpage on the guild of students website.
Original post by EnyaM
The wristbands usually aren't worth it because you won't go to all of the events on it and you may want to go to a mixture of John Moores and uni of events. And same, I can't find anybody who says they're on my course!

Are you going to Liverpool or John Moores Uni?
Original post by I am soapy
To apply for societies you can sign up in person at the 2015 Welcome Fair. This is based in the guild of students and is on Thursday 24th, and Friday 25th September. The fair itself will have all of the societies and sports clubs that are available and will allow you to see all of what is on offer. It also means that you can chat to the people that are in, or currently running the society. You don't need to pay or have a wristband to take part and sign up to the societies, you just have to be a student at the University of Liverpool. I believe you can also apply directly to a few societies via the societies webpage on the guild of students website.

Thank you! I definitely think I will have a look around and see if there is anything that will interest me, especially since I don't know anyone or have anything else to do :blushing:
Reply 11
Are you going to Liverpool or John Moores Uni?

Liverpool uni
Original post by EnyaM
Liverpool uni

what course are you doing?
Reply 13
what course are you doing?

Ocean Sciences, you?
Original post by EnyaM
Ocean Sciences, you?

Major in Archaeology and minor in business studies
Original post by EnyaM
I’m living in an apartment in city centre however I still don’t know anybody to go to any of the Freshers events with, I was thinking of just going to some in the day like tours and information days to see if I meet anyone that way

I'd go to freshers with you? Are you new to the city?

I live like 3 miles always so I'll just be getting the bus as well. I'd go to freshers with you 😊 I don't want to turn up alone, it's gonna be so awkward
are you going to all the clubs and stuff I'm not planning on going just the fair things like society fairs and stuff and the campus tours.
are you going to all the clubs and stuff I'm not planning on going just the fair things like society fairs and stuff and the campus tours.

I'm not really into clubbing, I'm definitely going to the fair and I know there's stuff like a film screening, a stand up show and quizzes etc - I think you can buy individual tickets for certain events rather than the wristband for everything? Are you gonna buy the wristband?
Original post by caitlinlouise97
I'm not really into clubbing, I'm definitely going to the fair and I know there's stuff like a film screening, a stand up show and quizzes etc - I think you can buy individual tickets for certain events rather than the wristband for everything? Are you gonna buy the wristband?

no i'll probably just go to the free stuff I don't have any money for the wrist bands or anything but after I get my loan i'll definitely go to some of the stuff they offer. and I don't like clubbing or dancing either hahaha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending