The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by kandykissesxox
Hi guys (I'm restarting yr12)

I need some help, I'm not sure whether choosing computing is a good idea? I have no knowledge in coding, would I be better off with IT? My a levels are A2 maths, AS economics not sure about AS IT/computing ?

I wouldn't say choosing computer science over IT would matter unless you are applying to the top universities (as they tend to look down on IT). I did IT myself and thought that AS for was quite similar to GCSE (at least for AQA) and fairly straight forward. However, I'd advise you look at the specs for the two subjects and see which one would interest you more.

Computing may be an advantage to your computer science application, but since I haven't done computing I can't advise how much not doing coding would be a disadvantage (if it even is one).
Reply 2

I need some help, I'm not sure whether choosing computing is a good idea? I have no knowledge in coding, would I be better off with IT? My a levels are A2 maths, AS economics not sure about AS IT/computing ?

Computing is harder but it looks better than ict when uni's see...
Original post by Faded-Pi
I wouldn't say choosing computer science over IT would matter unless you are applying to the top universities (as they tend to look down on IT). I did IT myself and thought that AS for was quite similar to GCSE (at least for AQA) and fairly straight forward. However, I'd advise you look at the specs for the two subjects and see which one would interest you more.

Computing may be an advantage to your computer science application, but since I haven't done computing I can't advise how much not doing coding would be a disadvantage (if it even is one).

Ah thank you very much. I mean you can still do a computer science degree with IT as an a level?
Reply 4
Ah thank you very much. I mean you can still do a computer science degree with IT as an a level?

Of course, just as long as you aren't heading to one of the very top unis (i.e. like imperial, oxbridge). :smile: I did IT and, whilst I'm not doing computer science, I got offers from russel group unis.
Of course, just as long as you aren't heading to one of the very top unis (i.e. like imperial, oxbridge). :smile: I did IT and, whilst I'm not doing computer science, I got offers from russel group unis.

That's good to hear! and I will be applying to the russel group unis! What are you studying in Uni if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 6
That's good to hear! and I will be applying to the russel group unis! What are you studying in Uni if you don't mind me asking?

No problem. I'm doing electrical engineering (well about to start doing it).

I did computing to A-level without any previous experience, I just chose it because I read the description of suitable characteristics and thought it sounded like me and was interested in how computers worked. Granted, I got a D because I was interested in the theory but didn't enjoy revising it, but I did it nonetheless. I got an A in GCSE maths, and my other A-levels were in Chemistry and Biology.
Original post by carrotstar
I did computing to A-level without any previous experience, I just chose it because I read the description of suitable characteristics and thought it sounded like me and was interested in how computers worked. Granted, I got a D because I was interested in the theory but didn't enjoy revising it, but I did it nonetheless. I got an A in GCSE maths, and my other A-levels were in Chemistry and Biology.

That's still really good considering you didn't study the subject at GCSE!! I think computing may be a little too advanced for me..
No problem. I'm doing electrical engineering (well about to start doing it).

That's so cool! I was considering engineering but I don't think I can go for it without a science. My current a levels are: Maths, Econ, IT
Do computing for computer science. ICT is more use of tech in business
Original post by Docjones1
Do computing for computer science. ICT is more use of tech in business

Do I really need to do computing if I am already doing maths?
Do I really need to do computing if I am already doing maths?

I would recommend it... but if you don't want to, whatever
That's so cool! I was considering engineering but I don't think I can go for it without a science. My current a levels are: Maths, Econ, IT

Haha, thanks. :smile: Yeah you need a science for engineering. But your a-levels seem a good choice for computer science.

Though it might be a good idea to do a little coding when you've got some free time so you have know what to expect and it also looks good for your personal statement.

Latest