The Student Room Group

College appeal help

hey, im trying to appeal not being allowed entry into the upper sixth at my college and i have to write a letter to do so, ive written it to the best of my ability but i want other peoples feed back maybe someone who has any experience deciding if an appeal get accepted? or any feedback in general would be great, cheers.

Dear *****,
I am writing to appeal against the decision to not allow me entry into the upper sixth. I was not surprised, but very upset to receive a letter on the 19th of August informing me that I would not be able to continue at ****** college. I would like to urge you to allow me to continue studying at ****** college next term.

It was a difficult time for me at the beginning of 2015 and my grades severely suffered as a result. The last thing I want to do is make excuses for my poor performance, but I would like to explain the circumstances which lead to this. I knew that by taking the subjects I did they would be very demanding and require a lot of hard work in order to do well, I believed that I could handle taking these subjects and the work that came with it and I still think I could've but towards the beginning of march/end of February I had a very tough time at home. My father who has recently had a child with his girlfriend, had a falling out with me and my younger brother. This situation escalated throughout the months leading up to my examinations and he would now like nothing to do with me. This took a detrimental toll on me as my father played such a big part in my life and in many ways was my idol; but also it took a big toll on my studies. As you can see from my interim reports attached my average effort went from 3/4's to 2's and the progress I had made throughout the year quickly deteriorated. As my father was no longer in my life I had to take up his responsibilities, frequently having to get my brother from school and having to take him to clubs three times a week as my mother works late hours. This needless to say cut into my study time and the time I would normally dedicate to do work and revise for my subjects. Even when I was at college I was too distracted to properly focus on my work and produce any of a good standard and I was always very exhausted from trying to juggle all these responsibilities. I got an E in maths, D in philosophy, E in computing and a U in physics. I recently looked at the grade boundaries released by AQA and I was only 4 marks off getting a D in maths and 9 marks of a D in computing which to my knowledge would’ve allowed me entry to the upper sixth. I understand now that I should’ve spoken to my teachers about my situation, instead of avoiding them and missing lessons because of the poor work I was producing and that I should’ve seeked help from the college to deal with the problems I was going through at home. I thought I could handle the situation I was going through without help and do well at college and I tried my very best to, but I was wrong.
I love ***** College and all the people I have met there, it would mean so, so much for me to leave for university with a levels from ****** college , which would make me the first person in my family to get any a- levels. If I am allowed to continue next year I will learn to manage my time more wisely and to seek help from the college counsellor had I have any personal problems. I have looked into private tuition in maths and computing which I will personally pay for and the tutor is ready to start next week (26/08/2015) which will give me an edge on the upcoming topics I will be doing and I am also more than willing to attend every extra revision class in those two subjects, to ensure I do not receive poor results again. I have also joined ‘codecademy’ which is an online site which teaches web development skills and coding techniques which will help me in my studies at A2 computing. I have now arranged for my uncle to take my brother to his clubs and collect him from school so I won’t have to take any time out of studying to do so.

Please understand that my low grades are not an indication that I am a bad student. I just lost someone I thought would always be a major part in my life. I’m honestly a good student who always gives 100% but just had a very tough time dealing with circumstances beyond his control. I really hope you will consider giving me a second chance. Thank you for taking the time to consider this appeal.
Sincerely
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

thank you i have now moved it into that section!x

Quick Reply