The Student Room Group

CFE Higher English 2015 - 2016

Let's discuss!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I did N5 last year [s4] and I'm doing higher this year.

Does anyone know of any good sites [free] that checks for plagiarism and grammar so on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you doing for your persuasive essay?
I'm resitting Higher English this year after getting a D last year. This year though, I am not studying Burns (yay!) and will actually have to study Gatsby.

As far as my persuasive essay, I'm thinking about doing it about the ever growing LGBTQ+ community and how it's having a positive impact.

No ideas for creative as of yet.
Reply 4
Original post by babbleswithamy
I'm resitting Higher English this year after getting a D last year. This year though, I am not studying Burns (yay!) and will actually have to study Gatsby.

As far as my persuasive essay, I'm thinking about doing it about the ever growing LGBTQ+ community and how it's having a positive impact.

No ideas for creative as of yet.

I understand - unlike last year - the study of a Scottish text is compulsory from now on. So if you are not doing Burns, do you know what Scottish text you will be studying?
We are doing the cone gatherers by Robin Jenkins. Anyone else?
Hey, does anyone have any good ideas on topics to do for a discursive essay? 😕 I've got to come up with 3 topics which are different to the usual topics you get e.g. Animal testing etc.

So far I've got 'has technology ruined family life?', can anyone help me out here? 😄

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emma_watson23
Hey, does anyone have any good ideas on topics to do for a discursive essay? 😕 I've got to come up with 3 topics which are different to the usual topics you get e.g. Animal testing etc.

So far I've got 'has technology ruined family life?', can anyone help me out here? 😄

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about:

- The police violence in American and if you believe it's right or wrong.

- Young people are spending more time on the Internet and making friends, but we taught them to not speak to strangers.

- white feminism; is this really a thing?

- the LGBTQ+ movement; a good or bad thing?

I hope these help! you can argue both sides with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hey,
Does anyone know of websites for English Past Papers??? Because for every single other subject I can find past papers (some up to 1980!!!!!) But for English I can't find anything before 2010 :frown:
Does anyone know of any websites other than the ones already on SQA website!?!?
Reply 9
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,
Does anyone know of websites for English Past Papers??? Because for every single other subject I can find past papers (some up to 1980!!!!!) But for English I can't find anything before 2010 :frown:
Does anyone know of any websites other than the ones already on SQA website!?!?

I had forgotten I had these files. They give you Higher papers from 1990 - 2003.
Hope that is of help.

Sorry was tiding up files and accidentally deleted this link. Here is a new one:-
https://www.transferbigfiles.com/da507269-cb3a-4584-8e4f-11c14019be03/HvYgxzfdvAdfUySKvleDcw2
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emma_watson23

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technology essays are pretty common, so be careful, I actually saw that exact same essay question on another higher English thread a couple of weeks ago, although it might of been you posting it :P.

I did black market organ trafficking for my discursive, where I basically discussed the issue and talked about different solutions to tackle it. I compared countries that have laws in places that are not really working to another country that has a regulated organ donation market, which in theory works as it cuts out the black market middle man and places patient care first, but in practice seems unethical.

So honestly you can pick any topic you want as long as you know where you are going with your essay and what you are comparing and arguing - lots of real life examples to back up your points are good. Make your bibliography look impressive.

I got 30/30 for my folio, so I (hopefully lol) know what i'm on about, anyone wants any tips feel free to PM me.
Reply 11
Original post by jamesg2
I had forgotten I had these files. They give you Higher papers from 1990 - 2003.
Hope that is of help.

Sorry was tiding up files and accidentally deleted this link. Here is a new one:-
https://www.transferbigfiles.com/da507269-cb3a-4584-8e4f-11c14019be03/HvYgxzfdvAdfUySKvleDcw2

WOW! Thanks so much!!!! Do you have any past papers for the essay sections?
Reply 12
Original post by Zain-A
Technology essays are pretty common, so be careful, I actually saw that exact same essay question on another higher English thread a couple of weeks ago, although it might of been you posting it :P.

I did black market organ trafficking for my discursive, where I basically discussed the issue and talked about different solutions to tackle it. I compared countries that have laws in places that are not really working to another country that has a regulated organ donation market, which in theory works as it cuts out the black market middle man and places patient care first, but in practice seems unethical.

So honestly you can pick any topic you want as long as you know where you are going with your essay and what you are comparing and arguing - lots of real life examples to back up your points are good. Make your bibliography look impressive.

I got 30/30 for my folio, so I (hopefully lol) know what i'm on about, anyone wants any tips feel free to PM me.

Do you have any tools you used that you could possibly give me like vocabulary sheets??
Original post by Jeff548
WOW! Thanks so much!!!! Do you have any past papers for the essay sections?

Post Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jeff548
Do you have any tools you used that you could possibly give me like vocabulary sheets??

I don't understand what you mean by tools? And what are vocabulary sheets?

I just sat down, did research, compiled my research, then started writing. I often used a thesaurus (there is one built into Microsoft word, just right-click on the word you want to thesaurus and click "synonyms") for when I was using the same word and needed a different word that meant the same thing. Otherwise just write the thing bro, spending too much time thinking about different "tools" to help you is a waste of time.

And please, im very curious, wtf is a vocab sheet hahaha?
Reply 15
Original post by Zain-A
I don't understand what you mean by tools? And what are vocabulary sheets?

I just sat down, did research, compiled my research, then started writing. I often used a thesaurus (there is one built into Microsoft word, just right-click on the word you want to thesaurus and click "synonyms":wink: for when I was using the same word and needed a different word that meant the same thing. Otherwise just write the thing bro, spending too much time thinking about different "tools" to help you is a waste of time.

And please, im very curious, wtf is a vocab sheet hahaha?

Haha like a sheet that has good vocabulary instead of basic words lol :smile:
Original post by Jeff548
Haha like a sheet that has good vocabulary instead of basic words lol :smile:

Yeah just use a thesaurus for that
Got full marks on my folio last year and my persuasive piece was to do with technology (AI) so don't get too worried if your choice may be one of the more popular ones. The most important thing is that you choose a topic/ issue you have interest in/care about.
Be very careful when using a thesarus. A similar word is not necessarily the right one. When writing your first draft write in a straightforward manner and try not to waffle. Throwing a big word in for the sake of having a big word just makes your writing look try hard. Be careful with punctuation, especially commas and semi colons. People seem to love littering their writing with semi colons. If you don't know how to use them then learn to or don't. Finally, be sure to leave lots of time between redrafts. It's much easier to see mistakes and imoprovements when you've not seen your work for days/weeks.
Original post by wordshark
Got full marks on my folio last year and my persuasive piece was to do with technology (AI) so don't get too worried if your choice may be one of the more popular ones. The most important thing is that you choose a topic/ issue you have interest in/care about.
Be very careful when using a thesarus. A similar word is not necessarily the right one. When writing your first draft write in a straightforward manner and try not to waffle. Throwing a big word in for the sake of having a big word just makes your writing look try hard. Be careful with punctuation, especially commas and semi colons. People seem to love littering their writing with semi colons. If you don't know how to use them then learn to or don't. Finally, be sure to leave lots of time between redrafts. It's much easier to see mistakes and imoprovements when you've not seen your work for days/weeks.

Excellent advice. I absolutely agree that you need to leave time for redrafting. I would aim to complete a first draft before December. It may not be an A+ draft but it gives you a basis to work on up to submission.

I agree on punctuation and spelling/grammar. It is possible to have an outstanding content essay only to have its grade reduced by such weaknesses.

One area to think about is the use of technical language. Many topics have their own language set - like say media, medicine etc - and it is worth using their language where necessary.

Most important do you have a topic that is important to you and have a clear sequence of points you want to make: i.e. planning, An error free essay that is poorly planned will always be penalised.

Good luck! The sooner you get started and have a first draft the better. Do not worry about its grade: your first draft is your basis on which you work on until submission.
Original post by wordshark

Yeah, sorry guys I should have added his points when I was suggesting the use of a thesaurus, don't just pick a random big word that looks good and stick it in the sentence, only use a word if you definitely know its being used in the correct context.

But on the flip side, don't worry about your pieces looking too "try hard" lol, write at the level of vocabulary you are at and don't simplify it to appease a marker or a teacher, because a thesaurus if used correctly won't make your piece look advanced, it simply helps it read better and helps avoid repetition of words.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending