The Student Room Group

Recruitment timetable for City law firms

I am hoping someone could shed some light on the general timetable of recruitment for TCs at City law firms (probably not Magic Circle or US firms, but other reputable ones).

I am a non-law UG going into my final year hoping to convert to law via securing a TC and sponsorship for the GDL and LPC. Lots of firm websites seem to say that although applications open generally in October/November time, you won't find out until the summer. This worries me because recruitment in other sectors starts and finishes before this. I don't want to get to summer of my final year not having secured any sort of job. So, do all firms operate their recruitment timetable in this manner, or do some do rolling recruitment? If so, is there a list of such firms? If not what's the best way to identify which firms recruit for TCs on a rolling basis? The websites I've checked so far have either been vague, or specified that you find out in summer. Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
From my experience, the London firms are more scheduled in terms of accommodating for non-law graduates. From memory, I know Ashurst recruit on a rolling basis (friend of mine got a TC offer as early as November-ish), although he had, by that point, graduated a few months earlier.

Best thing to do is draw up a shortlist of firms you'd like to apply to now and see on their website if they have an earlier deadline for people like you, or if they recruit on a rolling basis. If unsure, contact the firms.

On a side note, be prepared to convince them that you are interested in a career in law.

Quick Reply

Latest