The Student Room Group

What's the jump between GCSE and AS level Geography like?

My gcse results day and sixth form enrollment day are tomorrow (in a few hours actually), and I'm pretty set on taking english lit and art, but I took a taster for psychology instead of geography which I regret now, as I don't think I want to take psychology anymore. I really did enjoy geography in gcse (aqa), and although my a level choices are mixed bag already, I know having a geography a level will be much more respected by a uni than psychology.

Anyway, I was wondering what the jump between gcse and a level geography was like for any of you in terms of workload, case studies etc?
Original post by underceej
My gcse results day and sixth form enrollment day are tomorrow (in a few hours actually), and I'm pretty set on taking english lit and art, but I took a taster for psychology instead of geography which I regret now, as I don't think I want to take psychology anymore. I really did enjoy geography in gcse (aqa), and although my a level choices are mixed bag already, I know having a geography a level will be much more respected by a uni than psychology.

Anyway, I was wondering what the jump between gcse and a level geography was like for any of you in terms of workload, case studies etc?

I didn't do GCSE Geography but I did A level Geography. Loved it. I can't speak on comparison but I had no trouble and I had no foundation.(Hadn't done a geography lesson since year 8).

Posted from TSR Mobile
As big as my penis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by underceej

The amount of essays you will have to write. The exam is basically to write 10-15 marks worth of an essay, and also the amount of case studies you have to learn. GEOGRAPHY ALEVEL IS A LOT, I used 2 big folders just for AS,but i enjoyed soo.
GCSE to AS is a small jump.

A2 is where it gets quite difficult but only if you struggle with essay writing.
I did Edexcel GCSE Geography, and I have just done AS Geography,
I don't think the gap was that big between the 2, in AS there is less case studies to remember but more applied knowledge of the subject and thinking 'outside of the box' so to speak.

I found AS much like a mind map in general - there are always new ideas and concepts stemming off of the main point. And always something in the news relating to geography - you can also use GCSE case studies examples to support other Case Studies

There is a bit of Essay writing but nothing unattainable, reading through the Examiners Reports were a Godsend.
Unit 2 the Geographical Research is where it got a little dicey and a bit :s-smilie: but after doing a few you get the hang of it.

I had a lot of friends do Psychology, they said it was interesting but the amount of essay writing in that is double Geography and many I don't think are taking it to A2.

I guess it's all up to you, but I would definitely recommend it

Hope this Helps, and GOOD LUCK!!!
Libby :smile:
Reply 6
not that much.... this homedawg got a B in GCSE geography and a high A in A level geography smh..... this why revising the night before is the best method.... foh boys....

(AQA)
Reply 7
Heyy!
I created a fb page for a2 geography do follow. Its new so havent added much. If u do a2 please do contribute and tell geography students about it

https://m.facebook.com/a2geographyedexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
the jump between gcse and as is not too bad, it is a mix of new content and some content that you will be familiar with just in a bit more depth. A2 is a bigger jump due to the essay style of the exam instead of a mix of short and long answer questions for the AS exam
I found it huge, it's like you can get away at GCSEs by just talking about everything and anything and you'll probably earn a few/full marks whereas AS is completely different and you need proper revision and extra studying to do well (I started in September).

Quick Reply

Latest