The Student Room Group

I regret finishing my degree

The title is not about me, it's about my girlfriend.

My girlfriend finished a design degree and now, after graduating, although she has 7 months of relevant experience from an internship, she can't find a job at all and she is regreting not doing a STEM related degree (she has an A* in physics in her a levels 5 years ago).

She says it is too late to start all over now as after 5 years she forgot everything about physics and maths, but I keep telling her that she is only 23 and she can start all over. It will take a while if she does (another 5 years at least of college and then uni), but I promised to actually support her, including financially.

She is reluctant is actually doing this and currenly works as a barista.

What is your opinion? I don't know what to do and I don't want to see her sad and disappointed anymore.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Greu
The title is not about me, it's about my girlfriend.

My girlfriend finished a design degree and now, after graduating, although she has 7 months of relevant experience from an internship, she can't find a job at all and she is regreting not doing a STEM related degree (she has an A* in physics in her a levels 5 years ago).

She says it is too late to start all over now as after 5 years she forgot everything about physics and maths, but I keep telling her that she is only 23 and she can start all over. It will take a while if she does (another 5 years at least of college and then uni), but I promised to actually support her, including financially.

She is reluctant is actually doing this and currenly works as a barista.

What is your opinion? I don't know what to do and I don't want to see her sad and disappointed anymore.

I wouldn't advise that she did that unless she had ideas of what she would do exactly with this second degree. It's easy to regret a decision when you aren't seeing instant results and benefits from it, just because she's not working a relevant job now it doesn't mean she never will. But if she's certain that she doesn't want to use her degree and wants to study something else (paying her own tuition for the second degree) then I would encourage her to do a lot of research into the field, looking into what people do and try and get how they feel about their jobs etc.
I don't think her age should present any restrictions, she IS young and has time to do whatever she wants with her life, but I would want her to give serious consideration into all options before she risks regretting 'wasting' several years on retraining and not using that either.
That is so cute of you to do, but have you asked her if there's any other reason she doesn't want to restart all over again? I mean her a level grades are good!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CrystalMath101
That is so cute of you to do, but have you asked her if there's any other reason she doesn't want to restart all over again? I mean her a level grades are good!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Her reason is that "It's too late." We've been having this discussion for a while now and she's been saying that she regrets not doing somethinf more technical as in her design degree is liked doing the technical things rather than the "how does this make you feel" creative-type things.
Reply 4
Original post by sliceofcake
I wouldn't advise that she did that unless she had ideas of what she would do exactly with this second degree. It's easy to regret a decision when you aren't seeing instant results and benefits from it, just because she's not working a relevant job now it doesn't mean she never will. But if she's certain that she doesn't want to use her degree and wants to study something else (paying her own tuition for the second degree) then I would encourage her to do a lot of research into the field, looking into what people do and try and get how they feel about their jobs etc.
I don't think her age should present any restrictions, she IS young and has time to do whatever she wants with her life, but I would want her to give serious consideration into all options before she risks regretting 'wasting' several years on retraining and not using that either.

I don't think the main reason is because she is not finding something to work (see my previous response). She admitted that she wouldn't be happy in a design job. Then again, I am not forcing her to do another degree, I am telling her that if she does choose to do another, I will support her in any way possible.
Reply 5
Up
Welcome to the club. I'm in the same boat working part time and trying to find jobs related to my degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending