The Student Room Group

Worried I've chosen the wrong course

I had an offer for natural sciences at Cambridge, which fortunately I met, so I should be going there this October.

When I was applying it seemed like a great course to me, especially as it's quite flexible. However, I'm now worried that I should've applied for a different course (probably maths) or a different natsci course which allows you to do more maths. As far as I'm aware, you can do 1/4 maths in first year, 1/3 in second year but none in third year, which worries me.

Maths has always been my favourite subject but during gcses and a levels I started to enjoy science a lot more so I thought it would be a good idea to do a broader course involving both. I'm hoping this is just nerves of starting new things, leaving home etc but i don't want to start paying for a course if I won't enjoy it.

If anyone has any advice (or has been in a similar situation) I would really appreciate hearing it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I would ring the university and ask them. I never transferred course myself, but I know of people that did. Once you're "in" to the university it's easier to switch to a different course - you shouldn't have to apply all over again (though I may be wrong, it may depend on the university).

From applying to actually going to uni is a long time, so it's natural that some people change their minds on what they want to do. Definitely ask - you don't want to spend the next three years of your life wishing you'd done something else.
Original post by AlesanaWill
I would ring the university and ask them. I never transferred course myself, but I know of people that did. Once you're "in" to the university it's easier to switch to a different course - you shouldn't have to apply all over again (though I may be wrong, it may depend on the university).

From applying to actually going to uni is a long time, so it's natural that some people change their minds on what they want to do. Definitely ask - you don't want to spend the next three years of your life wishing you'd done something else.

I'm not so sure how Cambridge will react to a course change before term has even started...

@Craghyrax may be able to advise at this point. :smile:

RF
Original post by Holly.1
I had an offer for natural sciences at Cambridge, which fortunately I met, so I should be going there this October.

When I was applying it seemed like a great course to me, especially as it's quite flexible. However, I'm now worried that I should've applied for a different course (probably maths) or a different natsci course which allows you to do more maths. As far as I'm aware, you can do 1/4 maths in first year, 1/3 in second year but none in third year, which worries me.

Maths has always been my favourite subject but during gcses and a levels I started to enjoy science a lot more so I thought it would be a good idea to do a broader course involving both. I'm hoping this is just nerves of starting new things, leaving home etc but i don't want to start paying for a course if I won't enjoy it.

If anyone has any advice (or has been in a similar situation) I would really appreciate hearing it :smile:

I'll move this to the Cambridge forum so you can benefit from more specific responses :smile:

Generally I'd say that changing course at Cambridge is fairly easy as long as you have the relevant subject background for the Tripos you wish to switch to. But there is a lot of college and course specific variation here. If you're aiming to switch over to Maths then I assume that it was Physical NatSci you applied for? Did you have top grades in Maths and did you take Further Maths? I believe the new department will be asked (by your college) about whether they would be happy to take you on. They could refuse, but I think its more common that they might set you some work to do to assess your capability, or go on your existing background. Obviously its harder switching into a harder more scientific course from an easier one than vice versa. Your college also has a lot of control over this in that you need your Senior Tutor's permission to change.
The bottom line I'm driving at is that there are no guarantees, however switching course is very common at Cambridge. More so than it is at other Universities from what I've seen. So its very likely that things will be fine. At the end of the day what colleges most want is successful, high performing students. And if they believe that you will be more able to excel after a course switch, they're likely to want to help you in that regard as well as just wanting you to be happy and well adjusted generally :p:

In terms of what to do, Its pretty common for people to ask for course changes as soon as they get there. Prior to October staff aren't always ready to deal with student stuff. They might be away on holiday or prioritising off season responsibilities. But on the other hand they might appreciate you trying to settle it sooner before supervisor allocations have been arranged. I'd say mid September could be a good time. Its the Senior Tutor that would need to advise you in the first instance. What you definitely shouldn't do is keep it to yourself until halfway through term and then panic and rush to organise a switch just because you feel bad or are scared of the response you get. This would put you behind on the course content and also result in more hassle for all concerned. In some cases you wouldn't even be allowed to switch straight away but would be required to finish the first year on your existing course and then to switch after that. Don't be afraid of asking to switch. They have accepted you, they won't try to get rid of you just because you've had a change of direction. So the best thing is to be as open and direct about it as possible.
Reply 4
Original post by Holly.1

If you didn't do STEP it's very unlikely they will let you change to Maths at the outset. I'm fairly sure you can make your NatSci options pretty Maths heavy in later years.

But I'm sure others will be along to give better advice... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending